Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ingredients not normally found in beer  (Read 2881 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Ingredients not normally found in beer
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2021, 10:03:39 am »
What about milk, cheese, fermented foods like pickles or sauerkraut, mustard, and catsup?  Also, others you might think of.

I would think vinegar would have a negative effect on yeast as it is used as a preservative. I have however wondered about tomatoes???

The gentleman (now deceased) who taught me how to brew would drink almost anything.  One day he mixed half a bottle of mass-market lager with tomato juice and offered it to me.  I thought it was a waste of both ingredients.

I think that's just a Clamato. Very popular with the hispanics around here. Can be purchased premixed at just about any grocery store.

Yep.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2021, 08:11:10 pm »
What about milk, cheese, fermented foods like pickles or sauerkraut, mustard, and catsup?  Also, others you might think of.

I would think vinegar would have a negative effect on yeast as it is used as a preservative. I have however wondered about tomatoes???

The gentleman (now deceased) who taught me how to brew would drink almost anything.  One day he mixed half a bottle of mass-market lager with tomato juice and offered it to me.  I thought it was a waste of both ingredients.

I think that's just a Clamato. Very popular with the hispanics around here. Can be purchased premixed at just about any grocery store.

Yep.
There’s a lot more in a Clamato Beer than just tomato juice and mass market lager. 

https://www.craftbeering.com/clamato-beer-recipe/

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2021, 05:35:53 am »
Whatever. I'm not ever drinking one.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2021, 08:01:06 am »
We used to call them Bloody Beers - using Bloody Mary mix with a beer.  It was a reasonable substitute for the real thing when no vodka was on hand.  A Brunch time weekend drink.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2021, 09:16:05 am »
I do like a spicy Bloody Mary especially when hung over on vacation and needing a drunk -- errr jump start.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2021, 03:24:50 pm »
Whatever. I'm not ever drinking one.

Amen, to that.  One, without the clam juice, was enough for me.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!