Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Heaven  (Read 9131 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Hop Heaven
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 01:24:50 pm »
Ebay occasionally runs promotions (10-20% off). Great way to get an even better price on hops.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2021, 01:25:27 pm »
For those who have ordered from Hop Heaven, how long did it take for your hops to ship.  I understand that Hop Heaven is a side business, so I am being patient. However, I placed my order on the 11th, the shipping label was created on the 12th, but the hops have yet to be received by the USPS.  I am hoping that it is just an oversight on the part of the USPS.  I have had packages show up on my doorstep that were never marked as being received by the USPS.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2021, 01:27:51 pm »
For those who have ordered from Hop Heaven, how long did it take for your hops to ship.  I understand that Hop Heaven is a side business, so I am being patient. However, I placed my order on the 11th, the shipping label was created on the 12th, but the hops have yet to be received by the USPS.  I am hoping that it is just an oversight on the part of the USPS.  I have had packages show up on my doorstep that were never marked as being received by the USPS.

If you ordered continental hops, it can take longer
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2021, 01:47:15 pm »
I think his continental hops are just coming in now. I had some Slovenian hops in my pre-order this season and just got notified that they came in on the 10th. I'm guessing Ted is setting up his orders to ship as we speak.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2021, 03:29:45 pm »
I figured that something may have side-tracked him.  Hop Heaven appears to be a very big side gig.  If this purchase works out for me, I am probably going to stick with Ted.  The hop cultivars that I like the most were developed by USDA Corvallis for Oregon's climate.  I have never been to Oregon, but it has to be the greenest state in the union.

Denny, would you describe the Willamette Valley as a maritime climate?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 04:08:28 pm »
He did mention that the Galena was very nice this year. Sounds right up your alley.

Eric B.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 09:46:25 pm »
My fav is his Edelweiss blend.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2021, 07:11:31 am »
I've gotten Edelweiss and Saaz and Ted also threw in some C-148 (gratis) and I posted about those here.  He calls them an IPA hop but I just made a standard APA and they were very nice.  I believe I also have some Hallertau from Ted as well.  All of the hops seem to be in excellent shape and I commented about how some additional attention may be necessary (by me!) to ensure that every batch I make has the best possible hops in it.  If the hops I am using don't come from Hop Heaven then they're from YVH.  No more "LHBS repackaged hops" for me.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2021, 09:10:15 am »
I figured that something may have side-tracked him.  Hop Heaven appears to be a very big side gig.  If this purchase works out for me, I am probably going to stick with Ted.  The hop cultivars that I like the most were developed by USDA Corvallis for Oregon's climate.  I have never been to Oregon, but it has to be the greenest state in the union.

Denny, would you describe the Willamette Valley as a maritime climate?

No, to me that's more coastal.  It used to be the greenest state before things changed and we started having major droughts.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2021, 09:11:46 am »
I've gotten Edelweiss and Saaz and Ted also threw in some C-148 (gratis) and I posted about those here.  He calls them an IPA hop but I just made a standard APA and they were very nice.  I believe I also have some Hallertau from Ted as well.  All of the hops seem to be in excellent shape and I commented about how some additional attention may be necessary (by me!) to ensure that every batch I make has the best possible hops in it.  If the hops I am using don't come from Hop Heaven then they're from YVH.  No more "LHBS repackaged hops" for me.

Don't forget Yakima Chief.  In my experience their hops are at least as good as the other 2.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2021, 09:51:08 am »

Don't forget Yakima Chief.  In my experience their hops are at least as good as the other 2.
YCH hops are great if you are confident in the storage prior to getting your hands on them. The hardware store near my house keeps them on the shelf next to the dry yeast, so I steer clear of theirs. But when I've gotten ones that were stored properly they have been every bit as good as Hop Heaven, YVH, Farmhouse, Hops Direct, etc.

Eric B.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2021, 09:56:15 am »

YCH hops are great if you are confident in the storage prior to getting your hands on them. The hardware store near my house keeps them on the shelf next to the dry yeast, so I steer clear of theirs. But when I've gotten ones that were stored properly they have been every bit as good as Hop Heaven, YVH, Farmhouse, Hops Direct, etc.

Last I knew they had a web store so you can order direct.

https://shop.yakimachief.com/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 09:58:17 am by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2021, 02:50:40 pm »
He did mention that the Galena was very nice this year. Sounds right up your alley.

I saw that he had whole Galena.  I decided to order whole Magnum instead, mainly because Ted is offering whole Magnum in 8oz packages whereas Galena is only offered by the pound. It would take me two years to work through a pound of Galena.  While Galena has excellent storage properties, I prefer to be able to use a bag of whole cones within year.  Magnum was bred from Galena.  The cultivars are not quite the same, but they are both neutral, smooth bittering hops.  What is weird is that I used to be a dyed-in-the-wool Perle brewer until Mark Garetz turned me on to Galena.  I like Perle too, but it is not as versatile as Galena or Magnum when it comes to bittering.  Perle has that mintiness to it that carries through to the end of the boil.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2021, 03:49:11 pm »

Well, there goes my "no more hops" resolution. ;D

Eric B.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2021, 04:11:08 pm »

+1. I can vouch for fast shipping. Great source for hops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk