Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Heaven  (Read 9144 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Hop Heaven
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2021, 08:20:03 am »
I've gotten Edelweiss and Saaz and Ted also threw in some C-148 (gratis) and I posted about those here.  He calls them an IPA hop but I just made a standard APA and they were very nice.  I believe I also have some Hallertau from Ted as well.  All of the hops seem to be in excellent shape and I commented about how some additional attention may be necessary (by me!) to ensure that every batch I make has the best possible hops in it.  If the hops I am using don't come from Hop Heaven then they're from YVH.  No more "LHBS repackaged hops" for me.

Don't forget Yakima Chief.  In my experience their hops are at least as good as the other 2.
I seem to have gotten into bed with YVH and I get their emails regularly.  I have ordered from YCH too with good results.  I mentioned in another thread that I need to be more mindful of the condition of my hops and only use hops that seem like they're going to make the best possible beer.  It's not like I was using BAD hops but I may have used hops that were just not as punchy and I need to watch that.  I can tell the difference between regular LHBS hops and those that come from HH and YVH.  I probably also have a soft spot for YVH because they had a $5-per-pound sale once and another brewer went to order FIVE POUNDS and the total came to $5.  He notified YVH and told them their site wasn't calculating properly and they responded saying "NOPE!  EVERYTHING IS WORKING PROPERLY!"... as a result we both got five pounds of Hallertau for FIVE DOLLARS!!!!  :O
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2021, 05:35:20 pm »
I have not purchased hops from a LHBS since I started purchasing hops in bulk from Mark Garetz (HopTech) back in the nineties.  I was glad to discover that Ted offers some varieties in whole form in 8oz packages.  I am not a hop head. I usually hop conservatively, so 8oz of any given hop cultivar lasts a long time.  With whole cones, that can be a problem.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2021, 08:51:53 am »
For those who have ordered from Hop Heaven, how long did it take for your hops to ship.  I understand that Hop Heaven is a side business, so I am being patient. However, I placed my order on the 11th, the shipping label was created on the 12th, but the hops have yet to be received by the USPS.  I am hoping that it is just an oversight on the part of the USPS.  I have had packages show up on my doorstep that were never marked as being received by the USPS.

I ordered 2lbs on the 17th and per seller ETA is 22nd. I live in Ohio so I don't think 5 days is too long.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Hop Heaven
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2021, 09:05:09 am »
I have not purchased hops from a LHBS since I started purchasing hops in bulk from Mark Garetz (HopTech) back in the nineties.  I was glad to discover that Ted offers some varieties in whole form in 8oz packages.  I am not a hop head. I usually hop conservatively, so 8oz of any given hop cultivar lasts a long time.  With whole cones, that can be a problem.
Weather may have impacted your delivery. I recently had a two day delay.

...  If the hops I am using don't come from Hop Heaven then they're from YVH.  No more "LHBS repackaged hops" for me.

Don't forget Yakima Chief.  In my experience their hops are at least as good as the other 2.
I have always received great hops from Yakima Chief but YVH, Hop Heaven (maybe others?) lets you choose the year of harvest which I like.

Also, YVH gives me a Mil Discount which helps ease the shipping rate.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:24:07 am by BrewBama »

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2021, 04:17:54 pm »
Galena is a$$.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2021, 09:32:13 pm »
Galena is a$$.
Can you expand on this?  Does this mean you don’t like it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2021, 05:07:13 am »
Galena is a$$.
Can you expand on this?  Does this mean you don’t like it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maybe to the cool kids a$$ written like that if like “phat”?
I think galena is an excellent bittering hop.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2021, 07:40:26 am »
I know I mentioned this before and I don't want to derail the thread but in the past I have made some pilsnery and/or helles-like beers where I used something like Hallertau, Tettnanger, Saaz, etc. and the beer came out tasting a little flat and sort of dirty.  It wasn't contaminated but it just wasn't right.  Thinking back, it's very possible that the cause was old, mishandled, poorly-stored hops that just didn't have that fresh, vibrant character.  Sometimes you open a bag of hops and the pellets look old and dry and are not aromatic.  It's not ALARM BELLS "bad" but they're not fresh.  When I open hops from YVH or HH, the pellets are super green, aromatic and usually the pellets are sticky and stuck together.  That seems like a good indicator to me.  I literally threw out brand new packages of Goldings, Hallertau and Tettnanger recently that I got from MoreBeer (their Artisan brand of hops) because their aroma was off and they just looked old and dry.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2021, 09:58:47 am »
For those who have ordered from Hop Heaven, how long did it take for your hops to ship.  I understand that Hop Heaven is a side business, so I am being patient. However, I placed my order on the 11th, the shipping label was created on the 12th, but the hops have yet to be received by the USPS.  I am hoping that it is just an oversight on the part of the USPS.  I have had packages show up on my doorstep that were never marked as being received by the USPS.

I ordered 2lbs on the 17th and per seller ETA is 22nd. I live in Ohio so I don't think 5 days is too long.

Where do you live in Ohio?  Just curious.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2021, 10:21:21 am »
I received my hops yesterday.  They were pellets and some continental varieties.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2021, 01:25:56 pm »
To my tastes, Galena imparts a "metallic" flavor, for wont of a better word. I suspect that's why the original growers named it after lead sulfide. :o

Much better bittering hop options than Galena are out there. Cluster, Northern Brewer, Northdown, Magnum, Horizon, Warrior, Perle, Kazbek just to name a couple off the top of my head.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2021, 01:41:28 pm »
To my tastes, Galena imparts a "metallic" flavor, for wont of a better word. I suspect that's why the original growers named it after lead sulfide. :o

Much better bittering hop options than Galena are out there. Cluster, Northern Brewer, Northdown, Magnum, Horizon, Warrior, Perle, Kazbek just to name a couple off the top of my head.
I know exactly what you're talking about, although I don't necessarily consider it a negative. I get it from Nugget as well, and I tend to use Nugget as a 60 minute addition in  West Coast IPAs and certain Porters because of this type of bite that it has.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2021, 10:00:40 am »

Cortland. Its about 15 minutes north of Warren. I also didn't receive my hops yet. But that's ok, I don't need them until next weekend.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2021, 10:02:47 am »

Cortland. Its about 15 minutes north of Warren. I also didn't receive my hops yet. But that's ok, I don't need them until next weekend.

I see you're from Wooster. We were there last year for water license contact hours and afterwards I made it a point to visit JAFB. Enjoyed it!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2021, 07:14:43 am »

I see you're from Wooster. We were there last year for water license contact hours and afterwards I made it a point to visit JAFB. Enjoyed it!

I live about three miles (as the crow flies) from JAFB.  Paul is a really good brewer and has won many medals for his IPA's.  Glad you liked it!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified