Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Yeast offset to Denny's Favorite WY1450?  (Read 4337 times)

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
Dry Yeast offset to Denny's Favorite WY1450?
« on: February 14, 2021, 11:42:53 am »
Is there a dry ale yeast that comes ballpark close to 1450 and similarly accentuates malt and mouthfeel?

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Dry Yeast offset to Denny's Favorite WY1450?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 12:23:37 pm »
I think Bry-97 is the closest. You could also try Mangrove Jack’s M44. But, neither are the same strain as 1450.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 04:05:47 pm »
That culture started out as Brewtek CL-50 California Pub Brewery.  It is allegedly the culture that Mark Ruedrich acquired from UC Davis to use at the North Coast Brewing Company.  From what I can ascertain, it is of British origin.  I have worked with UC Davis to determine its accession number with no success because it was given to Mark before they re-organized their culture collection.  In essence, the culture that became Wyeast 1450 is one of kind.  It is the culture that put Red Seal Ale on the map. It is probably the best culture available to produce American Red Ale.  BRY-97 is from a completely different lineage.  It is a Siebel BRY-96 derivative.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 05:25:02 pm »
I just recently did a cream ale using it. Although I feel that it didn't compliment the style. Holy God is this yeast something I have never  tasted or experienced before. I can't wait to try it again.

I got a slight citrus taste from it somehow and that mouth feel lingers, something semi sweet and silky.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 08:19:24 am »
Is there a dry ale yeast that comes ballpark close to 1450 and similarly accentuates malt and mouthfeel?

Nope not that I've ever found.  Wish there was.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 08:21:14 am »
That culture started out as Brewtek CL-50 California Pub Brewery.  It is allegedly the culture that Mark Ruedrich acquired from UC Davis to use at the North Coast Brewing Company.  From what I can ascertain, it is of British origin.  I have worked with UC Davis to determine its accession number with no success because it was given to Mark before they re-organized their culture collection.  In essence, the culture that became Wyeast 1450 is one of kind.  It is the culture that put Red Seal Ale on the map. It is probably the best culture available to produce American Red Ale.  BRY-97 is from a completely different lineage.  It is a Siebel BRY-96 derivative.

And don't forget that although it may have started like that, it lived in my fridge and was recultured several times before it went to Wyeast.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 08:23:58 am »

Nope not that I've ever found.  Wish there was.
+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 10:19:20 am »

I haven't used 1450 and I am NOT trying to say Fermentis S-33 compares but, if you are looking for a dry yeast that may give you more of what you are looking for, S-33 could possibly worth a try for you. It has to be the most mislabeled yeast out there and has been for a long time. Somehow it has gotten the reputation for being a Belgian yeast, I don't find anything Belgian or Phenolic about it. It is on the otherhand a very robust, hearty, good all around Ale yeast with English origin. It gets in, gets to work and gets the job done quick with a wide temp range and I never find it to be to picky or finiky...very consistent. It does have lower attenuation, perhaps can be adjusted with recipe and more so a medium flocculation but beers do clear. It leaves a nice malt forward mouthfeel and I do not get any particular esters in the styles I have used it in. I really like it in rich Porters and Stouts, I have also used it in Amber Ales. I think this is one that doesn't get a lot of attention and flies under the radar but I find it to be a great dry yeast and I am going to experiment more with it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 10:21:18 am by PORTERHAUS »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 11:22:59 am »

I haven't used 1450 and I am NOT trying to say Fermentis S-33 compares but, if you are looking for a dry yeast that may give you more of what you are looking for, S-33 could possibly worth a try for you. It has to be the most mislabeled yeast out there and has been for a long time. Somehow it has gotten the reputation for being a Belgian yeast, I don't find anything Belgian or Phenolic about it. It is on the otherhand a very robust, hearty, good all around Ale yeast with English origin. It gets in, gets to work and gets the job done quick with a wide temp range and I never find it to be to picky or finiky...very consistent. It does have lower attenuation, perhaps can be adjusted with recipe and more so a medium flocculation but beers do clear. It leaves a nice malt forward mouthfeel and I do not get any particular esters in the styles I have used it in. I really like it in rich Porters and Stouts, I have also used it in Amber Ales. I think this is one that doesn't get a lot of attention and flies under the radar but I find it to be a great dry yeast and I am going to experiment more with it.

Having used both, I have to say they're not even in the ballpark.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 11:38:34 am »
Bite the bullet and get some 1450. It's the only liquid yeast that I've used in years. I made a Wry Smile IPA with it and was glad I did.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 11:44:24 am »
Bite the bullet and get some 1450. It's the only liquid yeast that I've used in years. I made a Wry Smile IPA with it and was glad I did.
I agree. I pitched my 4th generation of a 1450 slurry yesterday. I really like the mouth feel. It does something to the bitterness that accentuates without making it harsh.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 05:18:15 pm »
And don't forget that although it may have started like that, it lived in my fridge and was recultured several times before it went to Wyeast.

Absolutely!  It is to CL-50 what WLP001 is to Chico, cultures drift.  You started with a good culture and the selective pressure you placed on it made Wyeast 1450 what it is today.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 05:22:58 pm »
Wyeast 1450 is a one of kind yeast culture. It is the perfect culture for an American red ale.  I would go as far as to say that it is a the reference culture for American red ale.  However, it is a very versatile yeast strain.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 09:03:17 am »
Wyeast 1450 is a one of kind yeast culture. It is the perfect culture for an American red ale.  I would go as far as to say that it is a the reference culture for American red ale.  However, it is a very versatile yeast strain.

Also perfect for IPA, porter, stout...about any American style.  I think I'd avoid it for crisper styles, though, due to the mouthfeel.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 01:23:29 pm »
I have found no substitute for it in my Rye IPAs (yes, that Rye IPA - I make no others these days.)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"