Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Yeast offset to Denny's Favorite WY1450?  (Read 4266 times)

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
Re: Dry Yeast offset to Denny's Favorite WY1450?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2021, 02:13:46 pm »
Also perfect for IPA, porter, stout...about any American style.  I think I'd avoid it for crisper styles, though, due to the mouthfeel.

How would it do for a UK ale along the lines of Fuller's ESB?

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2021, 02:15:17 pm »
Also perfect for IPA, porter, stout...about any American style.  I think I'd avoid it for crisper styles, though, due to the mouthfeel.

I've been contemplating giving Verdant a try in my next ESB clone attempt.  Should I give 1450 a shot also?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2021, 02:16:38 pm »

I've been contemplating giving Verdant a try in my next ESB clone attempt.  Should I give 1450 a shot also?

It might work OK.  Not gonna be anything like Verdant,  though, from what I know of it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2021, 03:24:26 pm »
I have been in contact with the University of Washington team for several months.  After my last correspondence, Maitreya Dunham asked if there were any other strains I would like to see sequenced.  I gave her and Chris Large a couple of Wallerstein Labs ale yeast NRRL accession numbers and an NRRL accession number for Pabst's ale strain (yes, as in Pabst Blue Ribbon).  I figured that those culture are old enough that they may find a closely-related match for BRY-96.  I may ask them to sequence Wyeast 1450.  That way, we will at least know the family in which 1450 groups.  It would be interesting to know because CL-50/Wy1450 is unlike any other yeast strain I have encountered.  Truth be told, I did not capitalize on CL-50 even though I had it in my bank for a few years.  I was into fruity English styles and CL-170 Classic British Ale scratched my itch better.  As Jeff used to say, CL-170 had that lollipop ester profile when young.  It worked with EKG and Willamette better than any other English strain I have tried.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 04:35:21 pm by Saccharomyces »

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2021, 04:18:21 pm »
Loving this thread

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 05:46:10 pm »
I have been in contact with the University of Washington team for several months.  After my last correspondence, Maitreya Dunham asked if there were any other strains I would like to see sequenced.  I gave her and Chris Large a couple of Wallerstein Labs ale yeast NRRL accession numbers and an NRRL accession number for Pabst's ale strain (yes, as in Pabst Blue Ribbon).  I figured that those culture are old enough that they may find a closely-related match for BRY-96.  I may ask them to sequence Wyeast 1450.  That way, we will at least know the family in which 1450 groups.  It would be interesting to know because CL-50/Wy1450 is unlike any other yeast strain I have encountered.  Truth be told, I did not capitalize on CL-50 even though I had it in my bank for a few years.  I was into fruity English styles and CL-170 Classic British Ale scratched my itch better.  As Jeff used to say, CL-170 had that lollipop ester profile when young.  It worked with EKG and Willamette better than any other English strain I have tried.

Damn that making thrist, gonna try go make my sister grab for me a 1450 when she leave the EU

Online pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2021, 06:28:00 am »
Is there a commercially available version of CL-170. I gather from context the answer is no but I would love to try it if there is.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2021, 10:14:01 am »
Is there a commercially available version of CL-170. I gather from context the answer is no but I would love to try it if there is.
I believe it is White Labs Klassic Ale WLP033, which is a Vault strain. They only release those once they hit a certain number of preorders, and they are currently at 0 of 150 of their threshold. I ordered it one of the last times it was released, but it shipped in the heart of my hiatus a few years ago and I never did what I wanted with it.

I'll place a preorder myself right now. Anyone else who is interested (and willing to pay a premium - the price adds up once you factor in shipping) should all hop on board too so we can get this released sooner rather than later. Go to yeastman.com > Yeast Strains > Vault Preorder

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2021, 02:10:28 pm »
I believe it is White Labs Klassic Ale WLP033, which is a Vault strain. They only release those once they hit a certain number of preorders, and they are currently at 0 of 150 of their threshold. I ordered it one of the last times it was released, but it shipped in the heart of my hiatus a few years ago and I never did what I wanted with it.

I'll place a preorder myself right now. Anyone else who is interested (and willing to pay a premium - the price adds up once you factor in shipping) should all hop on board too so we can get this released sooner rather than later. Go to yeastman.com > Yeast Strains > Vault Preorder

Thanks Eric, I will try to remeber to pre-order tonight. If I get it I will try to use it for many generations to mak ethe price reasonable. Do you know if its a top cropper?

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2021, 03:17:24 pm »
Thanks Eric, I will try to remeber to pre-order tonight. If I get it I will try to use it for many generations to mak ethe price reasonable. Do you know if its a top cropper?

I did not top crop at that point in time because I used a 6.5-gallon lead acid bottle as a primary, but it did produce a nice head.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2021, 04:27:23 pm »
One thing I will add for those looking for a way to maintain yeast cultures without resorting to plating and slanting is that one can use 1100ml of 10% w/v hopped wort (110g of DME in 1100ml of water with a few magnum or galena pellets) for one's starter.  When pitching this starter at high krausen, one should hold back 100ml in a santized container that allows for off-gasing of CO2. This saved part of culture should be immediately placed in a clean refrigerator.  In order to keep things as aseptic as possible, the transfer of the 100ml of held back starter needs to occur first and the pouring surface of the starter vessel should be wiped with 91% isopropyl alcohol (my state has outlawed the sale of 190 proof/95% Everclear grain alcohol or I would use that) before flaming with a BIC lighter.  The goal is to get the pouring surface to be as close to being as absolutely sterile as possible.  One hundred milliliters of starter at high krausen should contain approximately 20 billion cells.  That is less than a White Labs package, but it will be enough to get the job done as long as one pays attention to detail.  I used to pitch 40ml of 1.020 starter media that was inoculated with a couple of 4mm loops of yeast into a 1L starter, so I know that this method should result in a culture that can be used to start a 1L start for up to around 6 months.  Because our seed culture is cropped from a 10% w/v solution (~ 1.040 S.G.), it should not be stressed like yeast can be after a fermentation. One may be able to push the re-propagation date out to a year with really hardy strain.  However, I would do a two-step starter starting with 250ml of 5% w/v wort (12.5 grams of DME into 250ml of water) that is then pitched into 1L of 10% w/v wort at high krausen.  If one does not have a scale that can measure in tenths of a gram, now is the time to acquire one.

I gained this insight from propagating my sourdough culture.  A lot of books have people feeding the culture on a regular basis, which results in a lot of discard.  My girlfriend put our discard to good use making sourdough pancakes and waffles, but these days I actually have to make discard because it is not part of my sourdough culture maintenance process.  What I am doing is keeping 100g of sourdough culture every time I make bread or pizza dough.  I keep this 100g in the refrigerator and use it to propagate starter for use in making bread or pizza dough.  The 100g of culture comes out of the refrigerator.  Fifty grams of whole wheat flour and fifty grams of unbleached white flour are added to it before adding 100g of chlorine-free water.  When I first started this propagation process, it would take a long time for the culture to double in size.  However, selective pressure has resulted in a culture that more than doubles in size in just a few hours.  I suspect that placing this kind of selective pressure on a brewing yeast culture will eventually lead to a culture that is very hardy in one's brewery.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2021, 04:47:26 pm »
I placed a vault order for WLP033.  It took a long time the last time I ordered the culture for it to hit 150 pre-orders.  I too was on hiatus when it occurred.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2021, 06:01:25 pm »
I placed a vault order too. Come on everyone, we only need 147 more orders!

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2021, 06:21:36 pm »
Did I read correctly 198 dollars?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2021, 06:38:29 pm »
Did I read correctly 198 dollars?

Are you looking at the the pro sized pack, maybe? Make sure you're in the Vault and looking at homebrew sized packs. I believe I was invoiced $6.43

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer