Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hose cleaning  (Read 945 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Hose cleaning
« on: February 14, 2021, 10:52:21 pm »
Today I used a jumper hose with QDs on both ends to transfer some sanitizer into a keg from a soda bottle with a carbonation cap. At the end I had a hose filled with CO2 and some sanitizer, sealed off with ball lock Quick Disconnects on both ends. Is it OK to leave this hose as it is for a month until I use it again? I could not bring myself to leave it wet, even wet with StarSan, so I opened up the backs of both Quick Disconnects and hung it up to dry. Is that necessary?
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Hose cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 05:26:17 am »
I think the Star San would degrade the inside of the tubing over time, so clearing it and allowing it to air dry is a safer move, as you have done it.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 06:50:11 am »
After sanitation or a very good rinse I store my hoses so that they drain to dry. Some hoses I will store in zip lock bags once they are dry.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 07:22:28 am »
I get this slick film on the surface of hoses if left in Star San a few days. Not sure if it’s the Star San degrading the hose, or what but I store hoses dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 07:59:29 am »
I get this slick film on the surface of hoses if left in Star San a few days. Not sure if it’s the Star San degrading the hose, or what but I store hoses dry.

It's not Star San degrading the hose it's just part of the Star San that separates. IIRC it is the same biding agent that is in toothpaste (don't hold me to that). There was a pod cast years ago I think on the BN where the guy came on and discussed Star San how it breaks down, etc.

That said, I don't like the slime.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 11:29:38 am »

It's not Star San degrading the hose it's just part of the Star San that separates. IIRC it is the same biding agent that is in toothpaste (don't hold me to that). There was a pod cast years ago I think on the BN where the guy came on and discussed Star San how it breaks down, etc.

That said, I don't like the slime.

Good to know, Keith.  You are right about the slime.  It becomes something to rinse out and wipe off and then new sanitizer is needed before air drying.  I find that air drying from the get go is preferred, even if I have to disassemble a QDC at both ends of the hose.  But eventually I went with these (or similar) to drain out remaning sanitizer and air dry both QDC ends:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/ball-lock-bulkhead-bev.html

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"