Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2023 Czech Saaz  (Read 489 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
2023 Czech Saaz
« on: March 13, 2024, 04:46:10 pm »
My 2023 Czech Saaz hop pellets just arrived from Yakima Valley hops. 2.0% AAU! I've seen them get lower in bitterness over the years, but this is the lowest I think I have ever seen them. Guess I will be using Cluster again for bittering from my Czech pilsners.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 2023 Czech Saaz
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 06:32:47 pm »
My 2023 Czech Saaz hop pellets just arrived from Yakima Valley hops. 2.0% AAU! I've seen them get lower in bitterness over the years, but this is the lowest I think I have ever seen them. Guess I will be using Cluster again for bittering from my Czech pilsners.

Yep, just got a pound the other day and was surprised by how low they are.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 08:41:07 pm »
i hear you, i got some hallertau this year that were 2.5% and i was sort of prepared for that, but hoping for 3.5 to 4%.

it makes me avoid noble hops, including saaz since reviews on the saaz page where i buy from indicate some crazy low percentages people were unhappy with at times

Offline OttoKringer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 08:24:08 am »
I'm in the same boat, I've given up on noble hops for bittering. I bought a pound of 2023 Hallertau Magnum that's 12% AA so I'll be using that at 60 minutes to hit my IBU targets. I made a hop tea with some 2022 Czech Saaz from YVH and the aroma seems off as well (if the hop tea is a good indicator). Another option would be Michigan-grown Zuper Saazer at about 5.6%AA in 2023. I also made a hop tea with these and was impressed. Maybe not exactly the same as CZ Saaz but very nice.

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 06:49:06 am »
My lb. of Hallertau is 1.8% AA. Yea, Magnum for bittering. I did load up at the 5 min. mark and flameout.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 07:20:49 am »
I have had good results with Edelweisse hops from Hop Heaven. The batch I have now is 5.8%
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 09:21:10 am »
controversial opinion here, but it has been years and years since I got a batch of saaz or HMF that I thought was very good. I've since switched to domestic "noble" hops and been much happier with the results.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 10:03:05 am »
controversial opinion here, but it has been years and years since I got a batch of saaz or HMF that I thought was very good. I've since switched to domestic "noble" hops and been much happier with the results.

Not controversial. It all depends on your source. I have been getting excellent HMF and Saaz. It can happen.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 10:06:05 am »

Ditto.  My Saaz beers, and from others, often taste sort of like lemon, which I don't expect -- I'm looking for floral character but all I get is a weird citrus with something else off.

I have switched to Willamette and much happier.  I might try cone Saaz, maybe they're a lot different from pellets, who knows.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 12:36:01 pm »

Not controversial. It all depends on your source. I have been getting excellent HMF and Saaz. It can happen.

I've ordered from YVH and Hop Heaven, both very trusted hop sources, and their continental hops just werent as good as Liberty and Mt. Hood.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 12:56:45 pm »

I've ordered from YVH and Hop Heaven, both very trusted hop sources, and their continental hops just werent as good as Liberty and Mt. Hood.

Interesting. I get mine from my LHBS and they don't source from either of those. https://www.homefermenter.com/ if you want to give them a try.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2024, 09:29:37 am »

As the Summers get hotter in the EU, the AA decreases.

Only about 1/3 of the German growers irrigate. The ones that have irrigation won't be as low.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!