Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Omega Gulo Ale OYL-501  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Slow Willy

• 1st Kit
    • Das Hausbrauers von Buffalo Homebrew Club
Omega Gulo Ale OYL-501
« on: February 16, 2021, 03:53:29 pm »
Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info out there yet on this yeast. Specs look pretty interesting. I've seen a little chat about people using it in IPA's. Omega also mentions using it in Stouts so I was wondering if anyone had tried it in a Stout, or actually any brew? I'm brewing an Irish Extra Stout this weekend, 10 gallons with a friend of mine. We are splitting the batch and I picked up a packet of the OYL-501. I get it, Irish Stouts are supposed to be dry but could this make it too dry? Maybe result in a more bitter stout than expecting? I was originally going to use some Denny's Favorite I recently harvested from my prior batch. Calculators show FG coming in higher than style with the Denny's Favorite and lower than style guidelines with the Omega. ( based on the grain bill, I don't think it will come out as low as the software is saying)
Bill S

Buffalo, NY

BJCP Judge - Certified

Das Hausbrauers von Buffalo Homebrew Club

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Omega Gulo Ale OYL-501
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 05:25:40 pm »
This yeast is a diastaticus variant, so it will ferment dextrins. It will attenuate much more than a non-diastaticus yeast, and it may continue to ferment after you think it is finished. My experience with diastaticus yeasts has not been good, and I won't use one again.  After using it you should clean everything that it touched with iodophor (StarSan isn't good enough) or it may continue to affect (infect?) future batches.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 12:32:17 pm »
I've brewed with Gulo before. I liked it. Dries the beer out nicely and produces nice tasting beers. I did a bitter, then a dry stout, then an imperial stout. All turned out nicely. A 1.088 imperial stout came down to 1.012. The bitter and dry stout both finished at like 1.006 or something like that. Plus you can ferment on the warmer side.
Jesse

Offline Slow Willy

• 1st Kit
    • Das Hausbrauers von Buffalo Homebrew Club
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 09:09:35 am »
So I did end up giving this yeast a try. I brewed a 10 gallon batch of an Irish Export Stout with a friend of mine where we split it 5 gallons apiece. I used the Gulo in my share and gravity started out about 1.057. I'm a week and a half in primary and gravity is now down to 1.008. I'll probably keg it up in  few more days. As I heard from other sources, its definitely not a fast ferment but its not turtle speed either. I made it down to about 1.017 in a typical ale yeast time frame fermenting at 68 degress which is the recommended low point from Omega for this yeast. I slowly ramped up to 72 where the yeast seemed to have crept its way down the rest of the way slowly but surely from there. I'll be interested in the side by side tasting with my friends batch where he used a standard yeast strain, forgot which one. 
Bill S

Buffalo, NY

BJCP Judge - Certified

Das Hausbrauers von Buffalo Homebrew Club

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 12:06:32 pm »
anyone else used Gulo? I'm considering it despite the diastaticus factor, which I am trying to avoid.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 10:07:26 pm »
I’ve used Gulo in some hazies and loved the fruitiness it added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 08:33:46 am »
This yeast is a diastaticus variant, so it will ferment dextrins. It will attenuate much more than a non-diastaticus yeast, and it may continue to ferment after you think it is finished. My experience with diastaticus yeasts has not been good, and I won't use one again.  After using it you should clean everything that it touched with iodophor (StarSan isn't good enough) or it may continue to affect (infect?) future batches.

source for the statement that star san isnt good enough?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 09:10:25 am »
There is helpful discussion on the Milk the Funk site (scroll down to sanitizer section of the Wiki):

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Quality_Assurance

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 02:05:05 pm »
There is helpful discussion on the Milk the Funk site (scroll down to sanitizer section of the Wiki):

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Quality_Assurance

from the wiki you cited
" several studies with other acid anionic sanitizers have confirmed that they are effective against yeast. Lee et al. (2007) found that an acid sanitizer very similar to Star San that uses citric acid instead of phosphate but the same surfactant (sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate) took 5 minutes to kill Saccharomyces cerevisiae"

to be clear, five star has done the bare minimum thats required of them to label star san as a sanitizer, but it is an effective sanitizer.