Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite Ale Yeast  (Read 4282 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Favorite Ale Yeast
« on: February 18, 2021, 12:12:28 pm »
Hey All,

Looking for your opinions on your favorite ale yeast when brewing an American Pale Ale. I don't brew ales often enough to have a solid choice.

I have an affinity to using dry yeasts but am considering using liquid for this. Its cold enough that I won't worry about getting ruined yeast ordering online.

I was leaning towards US-05 or WL-001 and possibly WL-051

My recipe is simple. 2 row pale, 6% C-60 and 5% victory malt.
Hops will be El Dorado @ 60,45,30
Wai-iti @15,10,5 & knockout.
Maybe 1 or 2 dry hoppings.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Favorite Ale Yeast
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 12:16:56 pm »
For me, it's an easy choice...WY1450.  For dry, BRY-97
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 12:23:25 pm »

You know Denny, Ive said it before that one day Im going to use 1450. I am going to take this under advice!

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 12:52:47 pm »

+1

Great yeasts, both of them.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 01:01:31 pm »
I use Mangrove Jack's M36, Liberty Bell Ale in most of my APAs, as well as many other styles. It produces very mild fruity esters when fermented at 66F and flocculates much faster than US-05. I usually get it from Williams's Brewing, Yakima Valley Hops or RiteBrew.

I do occasionally use Nottingham or BRY-97 with good results as well.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 01:01:53 pm »

You know Denny, Ive said it before that one day Im going to use 1450. I am going to take this under advice!

At what temp do you like to ferment this yeast?

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 01:15:16 pm »
This package of yeast followed me home from one of the local home brewing supply shops last weekend.  I went to grab a package of Imperial Urkel and snagged a package of Wyeast 1450 as well for good measure.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 01:25:02 pm »

there was a very good description someone wrote in the 1450 thread thats active. it intrigued me and im really tempted to try it. looks like a lot of people are using it right now.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 01:43:55 pm »

At what temp do you like to ferment this yeast?

63-65F for both.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 02:47:55 pm »
It seems like US-05 isn't getting a lot of love on this forum lately,  but I've used it dozens of times in APAs and it makes a great beer. WY1056, WLP001, and WLP051 have all done me well in this style, too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 02:53:14 pm »
I would have to say, favorite yeast for APA would be Nottingham.

Typically though, with a very hoppy beer, I will just use whatever yeast I have laying around.  The yeast is not super critical when the beer is buried in hops.  I do the same for porters and stouts.  I will usually have either Notty, US-05, or S-04 laying around.  Also S-189, great lager yeast, and I would not be adverse to using lager yeast for an APA (or APL).  This style is all about the hops.  Yeast is an afterthought.  Unless you want hazy... but that's another story.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 03:11:22 pm »
It seems like US-05 isn't getting a lot of love on this forum lately,  but I've used it dozens of times in APAs and it makes a great beer. WY1056, WLP001, and WLP051 have all done me well in this style, too.

1056 and WLP001 are great in APAs.

I got peach one too many times with US-05.

I don’t find 1450 to be terribly far from a good Chico ferment in an APA. Both are clean and dry and let the hops shine. 1450 is less finicky than US-05 for sure.

Plus I don’t understand why 1450 is rated by Wyeast as low flocculation when it seems to clear really fast for me.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 03:29:43 pm »

I'm one that likes US-05 but it seems to be the read headed step child because of the "peach thing" that some people get from it. I guess I'm lucky and my palate is not as sophisticated.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 03:33:18 pm »

1056 and WLP001 are great in APAs.

I got peach one too many times with US-05.

I don’t find 1450 to be terribly far from a good Chico ferment in an APA. Both are clean and dry and let the hops shine. 1450 is less finicky than US-05 for sure.

Plus I don’t understand why 1450 is rated by Wyeast as low flocculation when it seems to clear really fast for me.

I don't understand either. When it was passed to them, I gave them What I thoughtm of attenuation, temp range anD flocculation.  They didn't use my info.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 03:50:42 pm »

I'm one that likes US-05 but it seems to be the read headed step child because of the "peach thing" that some people get from it. I guess I'm lucky and my palate is not as sophisticated.

I'm using Wai-iti hops for flavor and aroma. Their description has peach and apricot aromas. Just wondering if using US-05 might be a good pairing, assuming I can pick up the "peachy" thing.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!