Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Caramelizing First Runnings  (Read 2350 times)

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
Caramelizing First Runnings
« on: February 20, 2021, 04:26:12 am »
I know it’s not often done and there is debate about its merits, not the point of my post, but I wanted to share how far down you can concentrate wort for Scottish ales etc. so here’s a pic of the wort-syrup solidifying on the spoon as it cools from the end of reducing just over a gallon of wort to less than a quart.
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Caramelizing First Runnings
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 05:28:11 am »
Nice.  I haven’t done it in ages, but I recall doing that with Skotrats Traquoir House way back when...
Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 09:01:12 am »
My last one was like that and I decided I don't want to take it quite that far next time.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 09:42:38 am »
Pretty cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 09:42:58 am »
When I last did it for an American-style Oktoberfest, I was pleased with the results although out of style for a BJCP Oktoberfest . I boiled it down to a syrup too, perhaps 1/3 of initial volume from ~1.080 first runnings.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 10:22:40 am »
I have caramelized thee first runnings for a barleywine (a buddy of mine and I brew one every year and try something different each time).  I didn't reduce it that far but had about a quart that we reduced by around 50%.  Still in the keg aging and haven't tasted it yet.  Will do so when I get back home.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 12:41:13 pm »
I bet that's awesome on some vanilla ice cream or cheesecake!

I tried this once with apple juice to boost the OG of a cider. I didn't like how the cider turned out (it had kind of a "cooked" quality to it), but the apple caramel itself was amazing. I literally mopped up the pot I boiled it down in with a couple of handfuls of marshmallows to get every last drop.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 03:03:10 pm »
Definitely intrigued! Looking into to this.

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 11:05:42 pm »
Nice.  I haven’t done it in ages, but I recall doing that with Skotrats Traquoir House way back when...
Cheers!
Yep, it’s definitely linked to scotch ales in the homebrew world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 11:07:14 pm »
My last one was like that and I decided I don't want to take it quite that far next time.
I’ve done this a couple times and think it does well for big Scottish style brews. It might become overdone in smaller beers.

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 11:10:05 pm »
I have caramelized thee first runnings for a barleywine (a buddy of mine and I brew one every year and try something different each time).  I didn't reduce it that far but had about a quart that we reduced by around 50%.  Still in the keg aging and haven't tasted it yet.  Will do so when I get back home.
To me this process is a best match to wee heavy and barleywine ales. I’m sure it’ll work elsewhere, maybe doppelbock or big stouts.

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 11:14:46 pm »
I bet that's awesome on some vanilla ice cream or cheesecake!

I tried this once with apple juice to boost the OG of a cider. I didn't like how the cider turned out (it had kind of a "cooked" quality to it), but the apple caramel itself was amazing. I literally mopped up the pot I boiled it down in with a couple of handfuls of marshmallows to get every last drop.
I gotta say it’s slightly better than lme to taste, but still not something I’d crave. Not sure what it is about malt sugars but they just don’t hit the culinary spot for me except as a fermentation vehicle. Looks tasty though and my yeast love it!!!

As for your apple-caramel, YUM!!! I get what you’re saying though about a cooked character. Cooked fruit just does that during fermentation.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 07:27:34 am »
There are so many myths and outright falsehoods about Scottish brewing. This is one of them. Brew logs show that when compared to their London counterparts Scottish breweries boil times were just the same and very often utilized shorter boil times... even for stouts and strong ales. If you like the process that is fine. I'm not criticizing the process. Just don't call it, or believe that it is somehow, "Scottish".
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 10:49:58 am »
There are so many myths and outright falsehoods about Scottish brewing. This is one of them. Brew logs show that when compared to their London counterparts Scottish breweries boil times were just the same and very often utilized shorter boil times... even for stouts and strong ales. If you like the process that is fine. I'm not criticizing the process. Just don't call it, or believe that it is somehow, "Scottish".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ot9YXVkHF8

yup, all here in a beersmith episode. i love it when i get to hear ron pattinson condense his stuff down into a single topic. cool stuff.

as well https://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/13450/international-collaboration-in-the-19th-century/

really fascinating that scotland used to be a major international exporter of pretty standard pale ale.

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 07:26:55 pm »
Totally disagree.  This is an accepted way of brewing a wee heavy, whether it is historically accurate or not.  It represents a way of brewing that many have adopted.  This is not about history. It is about a recent approach to brewing. Different things.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"