Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grainfather vs. Anvil vs. Brewers Edge vs. Klarstein Maischfest vs...  (Read 11165 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Grainfather vs. Anvil vs. Brewers Edge vs. Klarstein Maischfest vs...
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2021, 10:12:07 am »
The anvil foundry coupled with no chill brewing has made my brew days such a breeze and even more enjoyable, and I didn't think I could get more enjoyment out of making my own beer!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Im not fmiliar with "No Chill Brewing".  I can look up the details but generally, how does that work?  Is there a noticeable difference in the taste or quality of the beer?

The no chill method is often credited to Australian homebrewers and is simply letting the wort cool naturally. You transfer from the BK to another vessel... usually something that can be sealed and let it sit overnight. The guys at Basic Brewing Video have done many no chill  brews on their YouTube channel and claim no loss of quality in the beers made.

When Drew and I were in Australia it was rare to find a homebrewer who didn't do no chill.  The usual vessel is an HDPE jerry can.  Tne beers were uniformly excellent and if you hadn't been told you'd never know they were no chill.  Even major homebrew stores produce ready to pitch wort which is hot packed.  Certainly turned our heads around.

The No Chill method is something I want to try, but I guess I need to find a vessel for the initial storage that can take hot wort without fear of leeching plastics - is HDPE the same as a regular brewing bucket?  What about using a stainless fermenter and purging with CO2 and covering with plastic wrap overnight?  That "Ready to Pitch" containers of wort are interesting - I wonder how well those are received by competitions?  I guess fermentation regulation, yeast selection and dry hopping would be the homebrewer's contribution to the final product.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2021, 12:41:42 pm »
The anvil foundry coupled with no chill brewing has made my brew days such a breeze and even more enjoyable, and I didn't think I could get more enjoyment out of making my own beer!!!

Im not fmiliar with "No Chill Brewing".  I can look up the details but generally, how does that work?  Is there a noticeable difference in the taste or quality of the beer?

The no chill method is often credited to Australian homebrewers and is simply letting the wort cool naturally. You transfer from the BK to another vessel... usually something that can be sealed and let it sit overnight. The guys at Basic Brewing Video have done many no chill  brews on their YouTube channel and claim no loss of quality in the beers made.

When Drew and I were in Australia it was rare to find a homebrewer who didn't do no chill.  The usual vessel is an HDPE jerry can.  Tne beers were uniformly excellent and if you hadn't been told you'd never know they were no chill.  Even major homebrew stores produce ready to pitch wort which is hot packed.  Certainly turned our heads around.

The No Chill method is something I want to try, but I guess I need to find a vessel for the initial storage that can take hot wort without fear of leeching plastics - is HDPE the same as a regular brewing bucket?  What about using a stainless fermenter and purging with CO2 and covering with plastic wrap overnight?  That "Ready to Pitch" containers of wort are interesting - I wonder how well those are received by competitions?  I guess fermentation regulation, yeast selection and dry hopping would be the homebrewer's contribution to the final product.

I have used a corny sealed with the regular lid.  Drew can get you a link to than he uses.  How would a comp know where the wort came from?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2021, 02:24:59 pm »

I have used a corny sealed with the regular lid.  Drew can get you a link to than he uses.  How would a comp know where the wort came from?

Cornies I have!  As to the competitions, I guess you are right - it is little different from an extract brew made by a homebrewer and entered into competition as one' own.  At some point along the continuum, we all rely on the craftsmanship of another person in our beers (unless one is growing and malting his/her own grains and hops and harvesting wild yeast for culturing).

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2021, 11:41:09 am »
Then I went to a Grainfather, one of the more expensive systems.  I love it.  Well built, easy to use, does what it says it will.  I think you'll hear from people who love their system but have no point of comparison.

Is the Grainfather your primary system these days?  Do you mash and boil in it?  Do you sparge?  Have you made any modifications or do have any tips/tricks?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2021, 11:44:52 am »
Then I went to a Grainfather, one of the more expensive systems.  I love it.  Well built, easy to use, does what it says it will.  I think you'll hear from people who love their system but have no point of comparison.

Is the Grainfather your primary system these days?  Do you mash and boil in it?  Do you sparge?  Have you made any modifications or do have any tips/tricks?

It's not only my primary system, I have 2 of them!  A G30 and a G70.  The old cooler and propane burner went into storage a few months ago.  No modifications, both totally stock.  I do a kind of combo fly/batch sparge most of the time, although I have done no sparge on the G30. I use an induction plate to heat sparge water. I did a 6 gal. batch on the G70 yesterday, 3.75 hours from start to finish including cleanup.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2021, 12:59:07 pm »

It's not only my primary system, I have 2 of them!  A G30 and a G70.  The old cooler and propane burner went into storage a few months ago.  No modifications, both totally stock.  I do a kind of combo fly/batch sparge most of the time, although I have done no sparge on the G30. I use an induction plate to heat sparge water. I did a 6 gal. batch on the G70 yesterday, 3.75 hours from start to finish including cleanup.

That would be record time for me. There may be an all in one in my future. Will have to wait a while.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2021, 02:04:06 pm »
3.75  hours is a bit quicker than my quickest batch - just a hair under 4 hours, including cleanup.  Lately I have been mashing a little longer - 75 minutes to get some extra stirring of the mash (I don't recirc much anymore on my 5 gallon batches.)  The 240V option with my Anvil Foundry makes getting to a boil from mash temps a breeze.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2021, 08:40:23 am »
3.75  hours is a bit quicker than my quickest batch - just a hair under 4 hours, including cleanup.  Lately I have been mashing a little longer - 75 minutes to get some extra stirring of the mash (I don't recirc much anymore on my 5 gallon batches.)  The 240V option with my Anvil Foundry makes getting to a boil from mash temps a breeze.

Yeah, both of my Grainfthers are 240 and it's great.  The G70 is especially beefy.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2021, 11:43:39 am »

Yeah, both of my Grainfthers are 240 and it's great.  The G70 is especially beefy.
I look forward to eventually going to 240 with my Anvil but am pleased that I still am able to do 4 hour brew days with 120. Today I mashed in at 7:55 and finished cleanup before 11:30 with a 70 minute mash and holding at 180 for a 30 minute whirlpool. A couple weeks ago with a simpler procedure I finished a batch milling to cleanup in about exactas 4 hours.
Love waking up to hot strike water.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.