Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vienna lager  (Read 14888 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Vienna lager
« on: February 20, 2021, 07:12:57 pm »
I think this may be my new favorite style of beer. Cheers!!

Picked up a growler from a local brewery here and it's just fantastic

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Vienna lager
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 07:35:22 pm »
Also a fan. I can get Von Trappe in cans which is very nice.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 07:54:12 pm »
Fun beer to brew too!

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 09:19:06 pm »
Smooth little sweet, got a little spice to it. Damn good beer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 05:38:17 am »
Shouldn't have any "spice" ...should be dry with some cracker like malt character and clean/crisp. It's possible thehops may have some herbal like character that are coming across as spicy.

I should clarify that "spice" makes me think of yeast phenolics or actual spices which would be inappropriate for the style,  but obviously that might not be what you mean.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 07:21:33 am by majorvices »

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 07:38:38 am »
It's very mild. It's an apple orchard here that grows their own hops and I have gotten a little spice note from Perle before on a brew. Regardless it was an enjoyable beer

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 07:56:41 am by Oiscout »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 07:51:19 am »
I'm brewing one today with 838.  My go-to recipe is a version of Jamil's original recipe which is dark and malty.  Today I'm brewing a version from a brewery I visited when I went to see my daughter at school in Indiana.  I reached out to the brewer and he gave me the recipe.  It's unconventional but I'm making it just as he gave it to me.  First time brewing in about a month due to the weather.  It's a balmy 24° now and on its way up to 32°.  WHOO!  :P 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 07:57:19 am »
I'm brewing one today with 838.  My go-to recipe is a version of Jamil's original recipe which is dark and malty.  Today I'm brewing a version from a brewery I visited when I went to see my daughter at school in Indiana.  I reached out to the brewer and he gave me the recipe.  It's unconventional but I'm making it just as he gave it to me.  First time brewing in about a month due to the weather.  It's a balmy 24° now and on its way up to 32°.  WHOO! 
My hose bib was frozen yesterday so I had to go buy water! I feel your pain.

Look forward to the pictures

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 08:06:42 am by Oiscout »

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 08:01:18 am »
I brewed one 3 weeks ago today. Its been cold crashing for 3 days and I'm going to collect yeast and keg today. Samples have tasted good along the way and I can't wait to drink it after a little conditioning.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 08:44:59 am »
I'm brewing one today with 838.  My go-to recipe is a version of Jamil's original recipe which is dark and malty.  Today I'm brewing a version from a brewery I visited when I went to see my daughter at school in Indiana.  I reached out to the brewer and he gave me the recipe.  It's unconventional but I'm making it just as he gave it to me.  First time brewing in about a month due to the weather.  It's a balmy 24° now and on its way up to 32°.  WHOO! 
My hose bib was frozen yesterday so I had to go buy water! I feel your pain.

Look forward to the pictures
The hose I use for chilling has been brought inside just in case it's frozen.  I know my outdoor water source is okay because I filtered water on Friday.  But it *is* cold right now.  At least I know I'll have super cold ground water for chilling.  :D  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 10:46:23 am »
i think it could end up being a slow-burner style that grows in popularity. its sort of vague in that yes, there is the BJCP "original" vienna lager that has fairly tight numbers and tastes.

but really, it could range from ~4SRM 100% vienna beers, all the way to pretty roasty example with maybe up to 4% chocolate malt even. just keep the crystal down.

the one im making now has no colouring so its about 6 or 7SRM and orange.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 11:39:38 am »
i think it could end up being a slow-burner style that grows in popularity. its sort of vague in that yes, there is the BJCP "original" vienna lager that has fairly tight numbers and tastes.

but really, it could range from ~4SRM 100% vienna beers, all the way to pretty roasty example with maybe up to 4% chocolate malt even. just keep the crystal down.

So I am calling the one I'm making today "unconventional" because it contains 10% CaraMunich 1, which I would never do.  That said, the beer served at their brewpub was delicious so I'm giving it a try.  Most of these tend to be a combination of pilsner malt, vienna and munich and then Carafa III for color.  The one I made today will be more pale... maybe SRM 8 or 9. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 12:15:41 pm »

So I am calling the one I'm making today "unconventional" because it contains 10% CaraMunich 1, which I would never do.  That said, the beer served at their brewpub was delicious so I'm giving it a try.  Most of these tend to be a combination of pilsner malt, vienna and munich and then Carafa III for color.  The one I made today will be more pale... maybe SRM 8 or 9.

amber lager vs vienna lager.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 02:16:42 pm »

Maybe.  I have been a little too critical of some recipes that I have seen and I'm trying to get around that.  In this case, I had the beer at the brewpub a number of times and it was very good so I feel good about getting a decent beer from this recipe... but is it a Vienna Lager?  A commercial brewer envisioned a Vienna Lager and this was his recipe.  That doesn't make it right but I feel like the finished beer will be very nice. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 01:53:42 am »

Maybe.  I have been a little too critical of some recipes that I have seen and I'm trying to get around that.  In this case, I had the beer at the brewpub a number of times and it was very good so I feel good about getting a decent beer from this recipe... but is it a Vienna Lager?  A commercial brewer envisioned a Vienna Lager and this was his recipe.  That doesn't make it right but I feel like the finished beer will be very nice.
If you didn't know the recipe, would you call it a Vienna Lager when you taste it? I always find it odd to name a beer based off the recipe rather than the finished product.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer