Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vienna lager  (Read 14889 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Vienna lager
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2021, 09:03:27 pm »
Here’s an SRM to EBC calculator if anyone needs one:

https://beerandbrewing.com/tools/color-calculator/

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2021, 07:03:24 am »
Here’s an SRM to EBC calculator if anyone needs one:

https://beerandbrewing.com/tools/color-calculator/

That's cool.

Poured a glass of my Vienna Lager (100% Vienna Malt), and held it up to several color charts.
It is a 7 on the SRM scale.
Or...for those of us who do not like numbers, it's a dark gold / pale amber.

Might add some Munich Malt next go around. But there is no real reason to, as this beer is extremely drinkable as is.

edit: My goal was not to achieve a specific SRM, or color. It was only to have the best tasting beer. The resulting color is not a point of concern for us who are drinking it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:08:23 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2021, 07:12:01 am »
... My goal was not to achieve a specific SRM, or color. It was only to have the best tasting beer. The resulting color is not a point of concern for us who are drinking it.

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2021, 08:35:08 am »
Such a wonderful style to enjoy - I can rarely keep it around for long.  A good friend and also my brother will drink it and only it when I have it on tap.  Gotta brew another one - maybe this weekend!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2021, 09:02:46 am »
Such a wonderful style to enjoy - I can rarely keep it around for long.  A good friend and also my brother will drink it and only it when I have it on tap.  Gotta brew another one - maybe this weekend!
I agree that it's a great style to explore and as homebrewers we can move it around a little bit... more hops?  Check.  Lighter or darker color?  Check.  Different hops?  Check.  Choose any lager yeast you like?  Check.  Pairs well with many foods too although I generally don't pay a lot of attention to that. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2021, 09:13:29 am »
I agree that it's a great style to explore and as homebrewers we can move it around a little bit... more hops?  Check.  Lighter or darker color?  Check.  Different hops?  Check.  Choose any lager yeast you like?  Check.  Pairs well with many foods too although I generally don't pay a lot of attention to that.

Yeast? The one I used was W-34/70, with very good results. Is there another recommendation for Vienna Lager, perhaps something you have used?

The 34/70 has become my go-to yeast for most lager style beers.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2021, 09:42:17 am »
For Vienna Lager I would use 2124, 2308, 838, Omega Bayern for sure, 830 and possibly even 940 which is one of my favorite strains and with Vienna being more of a Mexican thing than an Austrian thing, it fits right in.  For dry I could see S-189 or Diamond doing the trick. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2021, 03:28:54 pm »
I pitched my recent Vienna with Imperial L28 Urkel, which is the Pilsner Urquell D strain.  I am anxious to see how it turns out.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2021, 03:51:27 pm »
I pitched my recent Vienna with Imperial L28 Urkel, which is the Pilsner Urquell D strain.  I am anxious to see how it turns out.
Is there a Wyeast or White Labs equivalent to that yeast?  Wyeast has (had?) a 2000 and a 2001 strain and one was Urquell and one was Budvar.  I can't remember which was which or whether they're still available or not. 

EDIT:  2000 is Budvar, 2001 is Urquell "H".  I do not understand the "D" or "H" strain variations. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline BrewBama

Vienna lager
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2021, 03:55:24 pm »
D = Diploid (two complete sets of chromosomes, one from each parent.)
H = Haploid (a single set of unpaired chromosomes)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2021, 04:06:12 pm »
All this talk about Vienna Lager has me pouring one maybe a bit early but I just had to try it!!
Brewed it Jan 31, kegged Feb21 and drinking one today. This may just be my new favorite beer.

This is my recipe I formulated using BJCP guidelines and looking at a dozen or so recipes from various sources. Is it a Vienna Lager? I think so. Next go around will see a reduction in pils and an increase in vienna and probably a slight reduction in the melanoiden.

75% Vienna
15% Pils
7% Melanoiden
2% Acid
1% Black Prinz
Hallertau, Saaz, Saaz at 75,60,30
S-189 fermented at 52*
OG-1.050
IBU-18
SRM-11

Clean, clear and malty. Very little to no bitterness. First go at a vienna lager and I am happy with how it turned out.
I will let the other 2 kegs lager for another month or longer.

This thread has been enjoyable to follow. Much information and opinions about the style.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2021, 04:52:49 pm »
Is there a Wyeast or White Labs equivalent to that yeast?  Wyeast has (had?) a 2000 and a 2001 strain and one was Urquell and one was Budvar.  I can't remember which was which or whether they're still available or not. 

EDIT:  2000 is Budvar, 2001 is Urquell "H".  I do not understand the "D" or "H" strain variations.

Apparently, Pilsner Urquell used to ferment with multiple strains, but are using the "H" strain pretty much exclusively these days.  Wyeast 2278 is the Pilsner Urquell "D" strain.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2021, 05:12:31 pm »

Apparently, Pilsner Urquell used to ferment with multiple strains, but are using the "H" strain pretty much exclusively these days.  Wyeast 2278 is the Pilsner Urquell "D" strain.
Ooh, thank you for that.  I do like 2278 and it flocs out like crazy.  I did not know that was a PU strain. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2021, 05:48:49 pm »
Well...here is what I did - 10 Gallons:

20 lbs Ireks Vienna Malt

18 gallons filtered tap water (no treatment / none)

2.0 oz Tettnanger Hops (whole - FWH)

1.5 OZ Tettnanger Hops @ 20 minutes remaining boil time

Boil time - 1 hour

8th generation W-34/70 yeast

ferment temp = 58 F

IBU - 28.7

SRM - 7

OG - 1.056 / BRIX - 13.8
FG - 1.015 / BRIX - 7.6
ABV - 5.4 %

We plan to brew this again...soon!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 05:52:49 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2021, 04:19:53 am »
Stated on another thread, but this is one of the best drinking beers (if not the best) I have brewed.
Very smooth, and sessionable.

Going to brew this again next week, but plan to add a little Weyermann's Red Malt, mainly for color. But this single malt grain bill needs nothing, as it is perfection on it's own.

Pulling a pint of this Vienna Lager and enjoying it in our bar reminds me so much of sitting in a pub in Frankfurt, Munich, and Amsterdam. Maybe that's why I like it so much!

My local neighborhood friend / pro-brewer / home brewer (transplanted from Austin) says this is an awesome beer.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 04:22:51 am by TXFlyGuy »