Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vienna lager  (Read 15108 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Vienna lager
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2021, 05:44:58 am »
Pulling a pint of this Vienna Lager and enjoying it in our bar reminds me so much of sitting in a pub in Frankfurt, Munich, and Amsterdam. Maybe that's why I like it so much!

My local neighborhood friend / pro-brewer / home brewer (transplanted from Austin) says this is an awesome beer.

Good style for upcoming Cinco de Mayo festivities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 05:47:51 am by BrewBama »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Vienna lager
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2021, 11:20:42 am »
Pulling a pint of this Vienna Lager and enjoying it in our bar reminds me so much of sitting in a pub in Frankfurt, Munich, and Amsterdam. Maybe that's why I like it so much!

My local neighborhood friend / pro-brewer / home brewer (transplanted from Austin) says this is an awesome beer.

Good style for upcoming Cinco de Mayo festivities.

i guess power to you, and my recollection of negro modelo(a?) is of a pretty meh, industrial tasting beer. but it seems so strange to me how the general american perception of vienna lager is so influenced by this one beer that simply calls itself "vienna". idk to me even the colour/tint of it seems off from what is in my mind.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2021, 12:31:14 pm »
My recent Viennaish beer came out the color of Negra Modelo, but I was not shooting for something that dark.  Two ounces of Blackprinz coupled with a two-hour boil resulted in a beer with a deep amber color.  I never used Blackprinz before this beer.  It appears to be more effective than standard black patent malt when it comes to coloring beer.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2021, 01:02:44 pm »
My recent Viennaish beer came out the color of Negra Modelo, but I was not shooting for something that dark.  Two ounces of Blackprinz coupled with a two-hour boil resulted in a beer with a deep amber color.  I never used Blackprinz before this beer.  It appears to be more effective than standard black patent malt when it comes to coloring beer.

i believe it is true, but a beer can have the same SRM, but a different tint of course right? its been ages but in my mind negra modelo is reddish-dark. the vienna in my mind is orange-brownish.

Offline BrewBama

Vienna lager
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2021, 03:16:19 pm »
Modelo Negra is a Dunkel Style beer vs Vienna. See post #50 above

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2021, 05:05:35 pm »

Negra Modelo may be marketed as a Dunkel, but have one side by side with something like Warsteiner Dunkel and try to convince me that they're the same style. To me, that change in labeling from years ago seems like a marketing department decision more than anything.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

Vienna lager
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2021, 05:17:29 pm »

Negra Modelo may be marketed as a Dunkel, but have one side by side with something like Warsteiner Dunkel and try to convince me that they're the same style. To me, that change in labeling from years ago seems like a marketing department decision more than anything.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I guess that’s why they say ‘style’

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2021, 07:34:48 am »
There was a time when Negra Modelo was one of my go-to beers, today it tastes like any other mass marketed beer, with little attraction for true beer lovers. Well...I would drink it before a Bud Light, but that's not saying much.

I would not consider it a Vienna Lager at all.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2021, 09:22:02 am »
The styles were brought to Mexico but the character has been changed on purpose to make the beer go better with the warm, tropical climate and also the food.  You can't (or shouldn't) compare Negra Modelo with a European dunkel.  It could probably be a separate set of guidelines after all this time.  I would bet that there is corn in Negra Modelo although I thought I saw somewhere that it was an all-malt beer.  I believe Victoria is the Vienna-style, Negra Modelo is the Dunkel-style but they're both Mexican-style. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2021, 10:16:40 am »
Is anyone else old enough to remember when American lager brewers produced a bock beer in the winter?  I believe that it was mostly a colored, slightly stronger version of the standard product, but I was just a kid at the time.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2021, 10:38:16 am »
Is anyone else old enough to remember when American lager brewers produced a bock beer in the winter?  I believe that it was mostly a colored, slightly stronger version of the standard product, but I was just a kid at the time.

I recall seeing it in the spring when they were "cleaning out the ferementers".....so the story went!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2021, 11:08:17 am »

For years Coors produced a seasonal beer "Winterfest", which was drinkable. But to me, it tasted much like their Killian's Irish Red.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2021, 11:44:40 am »

I recall seeing it in the spring when they were "cleaning out the ferementers".....so the story went!
All the local breweries in Cincinnati would have a Bockbier in the Spring.  Some of them were actually authentic, although not as strong as their German aspirations.  Those big regional breweries are mostly gone now, but I remember Wiedeman, Burger, Hudephol, Red Cap and maybe some others.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2021, 02:48:40 pm »

All the local breweries in Cincinnati would have a Bockbier in the Spring.  Some of them were actually authentic, although not as strong as their German aspirations.  Those big regional breweries are mostly gone now, but I remember Wiedeman, Burger, Hudephol, Red Cap and maybe some others.
I am 55 and when I was a kid I collected beer cans so my dad would often save them for me.  In the spring, my dad would buy whichever bock he was able to find.  I distinctly remember Meister Brau Bock and also Huber Bock.  There was a beer called Old Chicago and in the spring they had Old Chicago Dark in a different-colored can.  He liked that style which I'm sure was a very watered-down version compared to a true bock but he liked it just the same.  When I go see him I usually pick up a twelver of Shiner Bock... he really likes it and he has trouble finding it in his neighborhood. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2021, 03:59:01 pm »

Yeah, I to was in the Spring when they cleaned the tanks. I remember my dad saying that.

That is an old myth that will never completely disappear.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!