Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vienna lager  (Read 15217 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Vienna lager
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2021, 11:46:11 am »
The Point Brewery (aka the Stevens Point Brewery) in Stevens Point, WI also made a bock beer.  My cousin who lived there would bring me some every time he came to Ohio.  Don't think they make it anymore.
I remember that.  The standard POINT beer was in a blue can and the bock was in a green and gray can (something like that).  Yeah, it's interesting that no other macro brewery makes a bock.  It occurs to me that Shiner Bock is pretty popular for better or worse.  A regional or national brewery that made a similar beer could do well with it, I think.  When I have my "American Bock" on tap here, it does not last long.  My brother in law pretty much drained my last one himself. 
Is Michelob Amber Bock still around? Not that it's a great beer, but that's a macro bock for ya.

Yes. In 6 packs and kegs. It is not a bad beer.

My brother has a lake house near a rustic bar that is in walking distance to his place - Michelob Amber Bock is on tap - $1 for 7 or 8 oz. pour.  It is the house special and man can you toss those back easy!  Served in nice little pilsner glasses.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2021, 12:52:36 pm »
In Texas you will see something called "Ziegenbock".  I believe it's made by Anheuser-Busch and it's probably this Amber Bock.  I remember drinking some amber bock back in the day.  Smooth, great with food, satisfying.  All this talk makes me think I need to get my American Bock or my Mexican Dark Lager up and running here soon. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2021, 12:54:03 pm »
In Texas you will see something called "Ziegenbock".  I believe it's made by Anheuser-Busch and it's probably this Amber Bock.  I remember drinking some amber bock back in the day.  Smooth, great with food, satisfying.  All this talk makes me think I need to get my American Bock or my Mexican Dark Lager up and running here soon. 
No, man, we're still on American Wheat... :D
Jesse

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2021, 01:23:51 pm »

Yes, brewed at the Houston brewery by AB.

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2021, 01:23:59 pm »

Is anyone else old enough to remember when American lager brewers produced a bock beer in the winter?  I believe that it was mostly a colored, slightly stronger version of the standard product, but I was just a kid at the time.

Yeah, I to was in the Spring when they cleaned the tanks. I remember my dad saying that.

That is an old myth that will never completely disappear.

Yep.  Supposedly the reason it was strong and dark was because the beer had been laying in the bottom of the tanks for a year.

extra fermented for extra strong beer.

I just remember my dad and my grandfather having a bottle of National Bock Beer when we could go to visit my grandparents.  It was definitely a seasonal beer.  I believe that American bock died with the regional brewers.  Consolidation definitely killed off variety one local or regional brewery at a time.

ooh boy. that got my mind thinking. but no. no. i will forget what you have just said.

IBU range...
OG/FG...

1.055, 22 IBU of something nobleish, 78% Pale Malt, 15% Corn, 7% CaraMunich, maybe some Carafa for color, 34/70

Yep, my mind is going there too...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

lol and to be cruel:

realistically - 1.050 - 1.005, 15 IBU, 70% 6row, 29% corn 1% colour malt/colouring caramel

you know its true.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2021, 01:58:35 pm »
:P

Fermenting now.  I ended up using BRY-97 on it and it's the first time I have used that yeast.  I rehydrated it, pitched it and it took off nicely, fermented like a banshee and is winding down now.  It should be in a keg around this time next week and I will post pics of it too.  The wort I made was very, very pale and I wanted it to have some color so I used some homemade sinamar that I made by cold-steeping some midnight wheat.  I poured some of that into the kettle and got some color out of it.  Looking forward to trying it.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2021, 03:13:39 pm »
:P

Fermenting now.  I ended up using BRY-97 on it and it's the first time I have used that yeast.  I rehydrated it, pitched it and it took off nicely, fermented like a banshee and is winding down now.  It should be in a keg around this time next week and I will post pics of it too.  The wort I made was very, very pale and I wanted it to have some color so I used some homemade sinamar that I made by cold-steeping some midnight wheat.  I poured some of that into the kettle and got some color out of it.  Looking forward to trying it.
Interesting. Decided to skip the British yeast huh? It'll probably be more "American" the way you did it anyway. I'm brewing a kolsch-style this weekend to get wy1007 started, then the American Wheat.
Jesse

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2021, 04:44:43 pm »
Interesting. Decided to skip the British yeast huh? It'll probably be more "American" the way you did it anyway. I'm brewing a kolsch-style this weekend to get wy1007 started, then the American Wheat.
This 1968 has produced a bit of diacetyl in some beers which is in its DNA.  I tried hard to warm it up near the end of fermentation but it's still cool here so I may have mishandled that.  The other thing is that when I harvested the yeast I did not like the smell.  That may have just been me sniffing VERY concentrated yeast but I figured I would see what BRY-97 will do.  I have high hopes. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2021, 08:43:35 pm »

It is to directly compete with Shiner Bock. Tastes very similar, not sure if the same to Amber Bock.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2021, 04:09:32 pm »
I think this is the Vienna Lager thread...so I brewed up another 10 gallons today.

20 lbs Ireks Vienna
2 lbs Weyermann Carared
Single Step Infusion Mash
2.0 oz 6.0 AA Mt. Hood Hops (FWH)
2.0 oz 6.0 AA Mt. Hood Hops @ 20 minutes
18 gallons filtered tap water - no treatment
75 minute boil
9th generation W-34/70
OG - 1.057
29 IBU

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2021, 05:30:17 pm »
So what do you guys think about Vienna lager?   :o
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2021, 05:41:46 pm »
Lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2021, 08:49:47 pm »
I think this is the Vienna Lager thread...so I brewed up another 10 gallons today.

20 lbs Ireks Vienna
2 lbs Weyermann Carared
75 minute boil
9th generation W-34/70
OG - 1.057
29 IBU
This looks like a solid recipe. I dig it.
Jesse

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #163 on: March 18, 2021, 04:57:05 am »

20 lbs Ireks Vienna
2 lbs Weyermann Carared
75 minute boil
9th generation W-34/70
OG - 1.057
29 IBU
This looks like a solid recipe. I dig it.

Solid, yet simple.

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #164 on: March 21, 2021, 11:00:02 am »
update in cae anyone cares:

after 16 days in bottle and a full pint tasted, i note small but detectable amounts of DMS flavour. i strongly like (not love) the overall flavour of it still. i figured since it was 3 SRM malt that a 60 min boil would be fine

if i ever made this again i would definitely do 99% vienna and 1% black malt. i havent had DMS in a long long long time, as i rarely make beers with an SRM this low.