Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vienna lager  (Read 15157 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Vienna lager
« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2021, 11:33:01 am »
update in cae anyone cares:

after 16 days in bottle and a full pint tasted, i note small but detectable amounts of DMS flavour. i strongly like (not love) the overall flavour of it still. i figured since it was 3 SRM malt that a 60 min boil would be fine

if i ever made this again i would definitely do 99% vienna and 1% black malt. i havent had DMS in a long long long time, as i rarely make beers with an SRM this low.

My second Vienna is at work right now, with 10% Weyermann Carared. Stand by for a full update.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2021, 10:57:47 pm »
reviving this old thread, but I'm really settling into vienna as a base grain for me.

I just find it a really sueffig taste. drinking a wlp510 beer thats grist is 93% vienna with small amounts of crystal 120, amber malt and carafa 3 special and its my favourite beer despite the yeast right now. it just really hits the spot. straightforward but malty and flavourful.

im going to do a half vienna, half GP bitter soon

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2021, 09:00:51 am »
reviving this old thread, but I'm really settling into vienna as a base grain for me.

I just find it a really sueffig taste. drinking a wlp510 beer thats grist is 93% vienna with small amounts of crystal 120, amber malt and carafa 3 special and its my favourite beer despite the yeast right now. it just really hits the spot. straightforward but malty and flavourful.

im going to do a half vienna, half GP bitter soon

Here is another lengthy thread on the subject: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=37309.0

The one that is of primary discussion turned out good. Very malty. But it is a cross between a Vienna and a Marzen. My pro taste tester / Beer Judge thinks it is closer to a Marzen.

So the plan is to enter it in both categories.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 09:51:25 am by TXFlyGuy »