Author Topic: First time trying extract.  (Read 618 times)

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: First time trying extract.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 01:49:21 PM »
There is at least one LME you can’t get in DME form. That is Briess Munich. That one is 50/50 Munich/Pils malt. I think some of the recipes will benefit from Munich malt. If you see Munich in the book’s all grain version you might try to use it in the extract version.

Another place to consider LME is when you want to use continental malts. William’s brewing has several LME varieties based on European malts.
Actually, you can:
https://wineandhop.com/products/munich-dry-malt-extract-dme-3-lb-us-briess
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 03:57:25 PM »
Didn't even think of using DME.

Denny is correct.  DME is almost always less oxidized than LME.

I'd go further than almost...I have never experienced oxidized DME.  I don't know if it's even possible.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 04:58:42 PM »
There is at least one LME you can’t get in DME form. That is Briess Munich. That one is 50/50 Munich/Pils malt. I think some of the recipes will benefit from Munich malt. If you see Munich in the book’s all grain version you might try to use it in the extract version.

Another place to consider LME is when you want to use continental malts. William’s brewing has several LME varieties based on European malts.
Actually, you can:
https://wineandhop.com/products/munich-dry-malt-extract-dme-3-lb-us-briess
Awesome. Thanks. I had just looked and morebeer and they didn’t have it so I assumed no one did. That’s good for extract brewers.

Offline Drewch

• Assistant Brewer
  • Random schmuck.
    • The Malt Bug
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 05:04:23 PM »

I'd go further than almost...I have never experienced oxidized DME.  I don't know if it's even possible.

Why is LME so common, then?  I see it all over the place, especially in recipe kits.  (I ask out of genuine curiosity, not contrarianism.)

Drew

The Malt Bug Homebrewery - since 2019.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 05:16:17 PM »

If you keep a bag around long enough, extra pale malt extract turns into a light brown brick.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 05:19:13 PM »

If you keep a bag around long enough, extra pale malt extract turns into a light brown brick.

I have a bag that's been open for 2 years and haven't noticed that.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 05:19:54 PM »

Why is LME so common, then?  I see it all over the place, especially in recipe kits.  (I ask out of genuine curiosity, not contrarianism.)

Good question.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
Re: First time trying extrac
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2021, 05:24:47 PM »

I have a bag that's been open for 2 years and haven't noticed that.
The local liquor store chain sold me a dozen kits that had been on a shelf at the top of the wall for who-knows-how long.  I think I gave him $10. I tried brewing with one or two of the bricks, which never fermented at all.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Saccharomyces

• Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2021, 04:32:00 PM »
I think so too that's why I'm going to do it. Short of a long story I'm s tradesman but my ankle won't last the next 25 years of my career. I'm a pretty good cook, especially southern BBQ. I hope to open a small BBQ and beer shack. It's something our small town is missing.

I am assuming by 25 years to go that you are in your forties.  Back in the mid-nineties when I was in my mid-thirties, I was seriously considering attending the Siebel long course and moving into brewing.  There are days when I kick myself for not making that move.  That being said, there are a lot of extract brew pubs. I was a partial mash brewer before I moved to all-grain.  Good beer can be made using extract and partial mash.  Will it be the best one has ever tasted, rarely.  A good extract or partial mash recipe is Rocky Racoon's Honey Crystal lager.  There is something about that recipe that belies the fact that is made from extract.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2021, 04:46:31 PM »
I'm 35 currently lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2021, 07:49:05 PM »

It's easier (cheaper and quicker) to produce.
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2021, 08:01:12 PM »
I'm 35 currently lol

just about 1/2 my age

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2021, 07:43:52 PM »
I'm 35 currently lol

just about 1/2 my age
When are the 30 somethings going to wise up and take everything us more mature fellas say as gospel?
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2021, 08:10:15 PM »
I'm 35 currently lol

just about 1/2 my age
When are the 30 somethings going to wise up and take everything us more mature fellas say as gospel?

;D

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Oiscout

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2021, 08:10:30 PM »
I was always taught that when on the job if you don't know how to do something, find the most grey haired and wrinkly faced old timer you can find and Ask him. He will probably know the answer and if he walks with a limp even better.

That teaching moment has proven true 90 percent of the time.

I also am afforded the luxury of a somewhat earlier retirement than some of my un-organjzed counterparts in industrial construction and the electrical industry