Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Style Guidelines?  (Read 3347 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
New Style Guidelines?
« on: February 24, 2021, 12:26:29 pm »
A good friend in the industry has suggested (tongue in cheek) all beers be classified into 2 styles....beer flavored beer and not beer flavored beer.  Brilliant in it's simplicity!  What do you think?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: New Style Guidelines?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 12:53:35 pm »
Incredibly narrow minded and exclusive. I've been thinking about the beer styles for a while. The Caterina Sour style made me wonder how different it could be, and why you need that style when fruited sour is available. I've been helping my sister in law edit her papers, some have been about diversity and inclusion in education and how many things are approached from a white/european viewpoint. When people talk about "beer flavored beer", they're usually focusing on beer with a german background while ignoring and denigrating the rest. It also buys in to decades of Macro beer advertising thats still going on. It was only a few years ago when Budweiser or Miller put out that commercial calling craft beer "too fussy" while promoting "real beer".

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 12:57:27 pm »
Then how will I know which category to enter my non fruited mango white cascadian low Ibu low alcohol IIIPA with jalapeño and pumpkin green bean m and m chocolate milk white stout?

Does anyone take beer styles seriously other than home brewers who want a ribbon? I’m pretty sure most, if not all of the most popular examples of the style arent brewed to any other standard than being a beer people want to drink.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 01:00:28 pm by BeerfanOz »
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 01:02:17 pm »
Incredibly narrow minded and exclusive. I've been thinking about the beer styles for a while. The Caterina Sour style made me wonder how different it could be, and why you need that style when fruited sour is available. I've been helping my sister in law edit her papers, some have been about diversity and inclusion in education and how many things are approached from a white/european viewpoint. When people talk about "beer flavored beer", they're usually focusing on beer with a german background while ignoring and denigrating the rest. It also buys in to decades of Macro beer advertising thats still going on. It was only a few years ago when Budweiser or Miller put out that commercial calling craft beer "too fussy" while promoting "real beer".

Maybe you missed the humor?  Maybe it's not funny?  Maybe I have a warped sense of humor?  Maybe I don't take beer as seriously as some people?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 01:04:23 pm by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 01:02:55 pm »
Then how will I know which category to enter my non fruited mango white cascadian low Ibu low alcohol IIIPA with jalapeño and pumpkin green bean m and m chocolate milk white stout?

Does anyone take beer styles seriously other than home brewers who want a ribbon? I’m pretty sure most, if not all of the most popular examples of the style arent brewed to any other standard than being a beer people want to drink.

Commercial brewers do for GABF.  I understand more styles were just added for that.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 01:03:56 pm »
A good friend in the industry has suggested (tongue in cheek) all beers be classified into 2 styles....beer flavored beer and not beer flavored beer.  Brilliant in it's simplicity!  What do you think?

Then I'd only need to brew one style. Great!
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 01:04:38 pm »
Eventually there’ll be so many styles that anything fermented with any beer yeast will fit. Doesn’t bother me at all but seems a bit silly.
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 01:05:46 pm »
Kind of a strange attitude for somebody well known for his bourbon vanilla porter recipe.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 01:09:00 pm »
Whenever I see jalapeno or higher Scoville pepper listed in a beer, I suggest the Spiced, Herb & Vegetable Beer category.

I have actually had a lager beer complimented by a visitor to my house as a "Real beer-flavored beer for a change". 

As to narrowmindedness, I had a good friend who had an incredible wine collection - quite highly valued, to the point that insuring it while in his wine cellar (basement) became unavailable and he had to move the collection to more secure off-premises storage.  His view on wine was simply: "there are two kinds of wine - wines you like and wines you don't".  My wife ascribes to that simplicity.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 01:37:05 pm »
Kind of a strange attitude for somebody well known for his bourbon vanilla porter recipe.

But that tastes like beer.  To me there's a difference between using ingredients to enhance beer and ingredients that define beer.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 01:52:46 pm »

Well I found this to be brilliant, Denny.

Chalk me up as a fan of beer-flavored beer.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 01:57:03 pm »

Well I found this to be brilliant, Denny.

Chalk me up as a fan of beer-flavored beer.

I knew ya would be!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 02:13:45 pm »
I'm all for two categories:

1) German lagers
2) everything else.

Cheers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 02:35:46 pm »
I'm all for two categories:

1) German lagers
2) everything else.

Cheers.

I could see that...

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 03:40:43 pm »
Easy to stay in the guidelines...

Original Gravity 1.000-2.000 • Apparent Extract/Final Gravity 0.999-1.999 • Alcohol by Volume 0.0%-100% • Hop Bitterness (IBU) 0-600 • Color SRM 1-40+

🤣
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.