Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Style Guidelines?  (Read 3386 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: New Style Guidelines?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 04:06:40 pm »
I brew 5 styles:

Blonde
Pale
Amber
Brown
Black

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2021, 04:14:40 pm »
I brew 5 styles:

Blonde
Pale
Amber
Brown
Black

Those are colors, not styles. ;)
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 04:30:24 pm »
I'm all for two categories:

1) German lagers
2) everything else.

Cheers.

+1

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 06:18:28 pm »
Kind of a strange attitude for somebody well known for his bourbon vanilla porter recipe.

But that tastes like beer.  To me there's a difference between using ingredients to enhance beer and ingredients that define beer.

It might taste like beer to you but for plenty of people the taste of beer isn't vanilla or bourbon. For that matter, the taste of beer doesn't even include porters.

I don't want to drink a beer that looks like radioactive waste or has the texture of sludge or tastes like wing sauce; however, these comments about "beer flavored beer" are just dressing up saying what you like to drink is real beer and good and everything else is not real beer and bad. For people who only drink light lagers well that's the only meaning of "beer flavored beer" and everything else is just gimmick. There are people who only drink IPA and they think beer is supposed to taste like an aggressive serving of hops. There's no factual description to "beer flavored beer" beyond personal opinion. Saying these things in a homebrewing forum serves no purpose and probably is going to turn people off from participating and discussing their non-beer beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

narvin

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2021, 06:25:25 pm »
Here's a test: run it through a gentle centrifuge and compare it to the original product.  If it's unrecognizable, you don't have beer, you have a milkshake!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2021, 07:26:34 pm »
Unfortunately it's turning out to be 200+ styles of IPA and everything else.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 08:41:39 pm »
I brew 5 styles:

Blonde
Pale
Amber
Brown
Black

Almost a Martyn Cornell book title. "Amber, Gold, and Black" a good historic read.

A few years back the Great British Beer Festival had 5 or 6 styles.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2021, 09:14:49 pm »
A good friend in the industry has suggested (tongue in cheek) all beers be classified into 2 styles....beer flavored beer and not beer flavored beer.  Brilliant in it's simplicity!  What do you think?
There's a lot of latitude in the term, "beer flavored beer".
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2021, 02:18:52 pm »
Incredibly narrow minded and exclusive. I've been thinking about the beer styles for a while. The Caterina Sour style made me wonder how different it could be, and why you need that style when fruited sour is available. I've been helping my sister in law edit her papers, some have been about diversity and inclusion in education and how many things are approached from a white/european viewpoint. When people talk about "beer flavored beer", they're usually focusing on beer with a german background while ignoring and denigrating the rest. It also buys in to decades of Macro beer advertising thats still going on. It was only a few years ago when Budweiser or Miller put out that commercial calling craft beer "too fussy" while promoting "real beer".
Why's this gotta be about white people excluding others? Come on dude, lighten up. It's beer we're talking about here! I'm all for beer flavored beer versus the beer that kids want these days (ie fruity sours, sippycup IPAs, milkshakes, and pastry stouts). ;p
Jesse

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2021, 02:51:46 pm »
I enjoy beer flavored beers. I also enjoy fermented hop drippins (of both the milkshake and enamel stripping varieties). I like sours of the fruit bomb, funk-da-funk, and mega-warhead varieties. Not a huge fan of pastry stout or whiskey beer, but I won't turn one down if offered. Same goes for NAILs. I like my ciders sweet and fizzy, except when I don't. Brew what you like, drink what you like.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2021, 03:37:13 pm »
Kind of a strange attitude for somebody well known for his bourbon vanilla porter recipe.

But that tastes like beer.  To me there's a difference between using ingredients to enhance beer and ingredients that define beer.

It might taste like beer to you but for plenty of people the taste of beer isn't vanilla or bourbon. For that matter, the taste of beer doesn't even include porters.

I don't want to drink a beer that looks like radioactive waste or has the texture of sludge or tastes like wing sauce; however, these comments about "beer flavored beer" are just dressing up saying what you like to drink is real beer and good and everything else is not real beer and bad. For people who only drink light lagers well that's the only meaning of "beer flavored beer" and everything else is just gimmick. There are people who only drink IPA and they think beer is supposed to taste like an aggressive serving of hops. There's no factual description to "beer flavored beer" beyond personal opinion. Saying these things in a homebrewing forum serves no purpose and probably is going to turn people off from participating and discussing their non-beer beer.

Actually, I got the tongue-in-cheek humor of the original post and it is comments like this that turn people off. Have a beer (of your choice) or several and  chill the eff down.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2021, 04:39:30 pm »
I enjoy beer flavored beers. I also enjoy fermented hop drippins (of both the milkshake and enamel stripping varieties). I like sours of the fruit bomb, funk-da-funk, and mega-warhead varieties. Not a huge fan of pastry stout or whiskey beer, but I won't turn one down if offered. Same goes for NAILs. I like my ciders sweet and fizzy, except when I don't. Brew what you like, drink what you like.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

All of this. 

And, really....what is and what isn’t good beer??  Nobody knows, but everybody knows.

Ill just keep on appreciating the choices I have today. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2021, 04:56:57 pm »
I definitely agree drink what you like. But, as a coffee snob, I also cringe when that is Keurig coffee. As a beer snob I most certainly will turn my nose up when beers that don't really taste anything like beer rate higher than actual beer flavored beer. I can appreciate the novelty from a novelty standpoint - and the challenge to brew in many cases. But the grumpy old man in me wants every one to drink beer tasting beer and also to GTF off my lawn!

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2021, 05:40:33 pm »
I have absolutely no idea what “beer flavored beer” means.  None.
 ???

Little help?

My guess is this:
Beer that someone likes and thinks you should.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2021, 05:44:29 pm »
I have absolutely no idea what “beer flavored beer” means.  None.
 ???

Little help?

My guess is this:
Beer that someone likes and thinks you should.

Traditional beer styles that don't taste like peanut butter or jolly ranchers or sour patch kids or cheese cake or taco meat ...