Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sierra Nevada Bigfoot  (Read 1942 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
« on: February 24, 2021, 04:38:17 pm »

I just got this vertical 12 pack of Bigfoot. I’m very excited to taste these because I will have to admit...I’m a Barleywine geek. Plus, I can use this box to send in my entries for NHC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
Re: Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 01:17:49 am »

I just got this vertical 12 pack of Bigfoot. I’m very excited to taste these because I will have to admit...I’m a Barleywine geek. Plus, I can use this box to send in my entries for NHC.

That is a great box! I’d say 2016 will be drinking perfection! 

I age Bigfoot and believe it is the best aging non-sour beer available. For me it is at its peak from year 3-5. Above is a 2010 & 2018 I did side by side of recently.

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 10:06:44 am »
My wife and I sampled the 2011, 2014, and 2016. The 2011 seemed the most hoppy and with the thinnest mouthfeel. Not sure if that is from the oxidation. The 2014 and 2016 were the most enjoyable with a wonderful dark fruit flavor. The packaging is top notch from Sierra Nevada because oxidation was not significant at all even with the 2011 that was not overbearing.

Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 10:57:30 am »
I once got in on a 12 year vertical tasting.  IIRC, mid 80s to late 90s.  We found them remarkably consistent, despite the age.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 08:47:34 am »
My problem with Bigfoot is that it does not last. It tastes amazing on the first year. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 06:11:30 am by Saccharomyces »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 11:01:51 am »
My problem with Bigfoot is that it does not last. It tastes amazing on the first year.  I have already consumed three six packs of 2021 with the help of friends.
Yep. There are several years of gaps in my collection due to this conundrum.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 11:30:24 am »
I have to agree with beerphilmcd that around the 5 year mark they are wonderful.

Dan Chisholm

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 08:20:38 am »
I had a 2009 last month and it was still very good. A little oxidation, but not too bad. I think 3-5 years is the sweet spot, but I've been impressed with how it holds up.

I couldn't get 2020 because 2020 happened, so I feel sad to have a gap in my cellar. I think there's still at least one for every year since 2009.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 08:43:32 am »
I just picked up a six pack of 2021 yesterday and it also drinks wonderfully. The hop presence is obviously stronger, but I love hops supported with a big malt backbone.

Dan Chisholm

Fire Rooster

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 10:36:14 am »

This is the only Big Foot I could find.
Will try with St Patrick's Day dinner.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:40:21 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline Malthopper

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 11:18:34 pm »
I'm a huge fan of the Bigfoot! Got one bottle each of 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020, and 2021. Also like to make my own barleywine every few years to bottle and age. Kernal Barleywine is now around 6 years old and Big Nugget is probably 4. Every few months I have a bottle of one of them

Offline downbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2021, 12:39:22 pm »

That is a great box! I’d say 2016 will be drinking perfection! 

I age Bigfoot and believe it is the best aging non-sour beer available. For me it is at its peak from year 3-5. Above is a 2010 & 2018 I did side by side of recently.

Which one did you like best, the 2010 or the 2018?  Was it worth the effort to hold on to the 2010 for so long?

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 07:29:14 pm »

I was excited to get a vertical 12 pack that I ordered from Sierra Nevada. I have never found it in Western Kentucky  :(

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 06:51:03 am »
whining alert:

the only sierra nevada product i've ever seen in canada is the pale ale. this is the third largest craft brewery in america basically being ignored by one of the largest single alcohol purchasing entities in the world (the LCBO had sole distribution for 14 million people for decades).

this goes for any other american craft brewery, whenever i went to the states i always went nuts trying to get the beers i missed. usually would try to make a list.

it's such a joke here