Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2021 Sierra Nevada Octoberfest  (Read 3395 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: 2021 Sierra Nevada Octoberfest
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2021, 01:24:30 pm »
Cool, I didn't realize FGs were listed on their website.  I could have saved myself the five minutes...
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2021, 07:25:24 pm »
I'm guessing mine came from North Carolina because I live in Kentucky. I thought it was a good malty beer and not sweet, it had a nice hop bitterness. Way better than Samual Adams in my opinion.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2021, 06:47:09 am »
I was unlucky enough to try both SN and SA "Oktoberfests" this weekend.  They are both different shades of awful in my completely biased opinion.  Neither one invited repeated sips let alone repeated bottles, both being too malty and too sweet for me.  No balance whatsoever.  Probably both being perfect examples of the American Oktoberfest style however.   ::)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2021, 08:27:09 am »
I was unlucky enough to try both SN and SA "Oktoberfests" this weekend.  They are both different shades of awful in my completely biased opinion.  Neither one invited repeated sips let alone repeated bottles, both being too malty and too sweet for me.  No balance whatsoever.  Probably both being perfect examples of the American Oktoberfest style however.   ::)

Man, either my tastebuds are shot or I'm getting a different SN Ofest  at than you and Mark.  It was almost too dry IMO.  Not even close to malty and sweet.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2021, 09:40:11 am »

Man, either my tastebuds are shot or I'm getting a different SN Ofest  at than you and Mark.  It was almost too dry IMO.  Not even close to malty and sweet.
Once again, I'm with Denny on this one.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2021, 10:16:35 am »
I had the Sam Adams Oktoberfest a week ago on draft. I had it after two other beers, so keep that in mind.

It did have a sweet finish, not cloying. I have no idea if it was to style. But, I didn’t think it was awful. It was easy to drink and I can understand why a portion of beer drinkers who like a sweet finish would like that beer. It may not have anything to do with Munich’s Oktoberfest but, people like the style, look forward to it each year, and buy the beer, so US brewers keep making it.  Good or bad it’s now American Oktoberfest tradition.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2021, 10:42:19 am »
The version of Sierra Nevada that I tasted was definitely quite dry and bitter, and was roasty rather than toasty.  There must indeed be two very different versions out there.

I have not tasted Sam Adams this year or in the past few years.  I'd expect that one to be caramelly and sweet, but don't honestly know anymore.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2021, 10:50:27 am »

I certainly will take blame for some of this difference as I am thin-skinned to any perceived malty/sweetness, and maybe my "too sweet" is someone else's "a bit of sweetness", but there is no way the SN Ofest I had would ever be confused with "dry", unless our tastes are completely different.  I would accept this as a reasonable explanation, just as reasonable as the possibility we were drinking two entirely different beers.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2021, 12:13:37 pm »
The version I bought this weekend, which certainly originated in NC (M code), is malty, but not sweet. It was NOT too dry, but at the same time it was NOT what anyone with a clean palate would consider sweet. Canned on 8/9/21.

Went well with Sushi and then paired even better with Tacos. I'll need to do research to be sure, but I'm fairly confident it will be delicious when I drink it by itself.  ;D
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2021, 01:18:55 pm »
I bought a six pack Saturday, canned 7/7/21, most likely from N.C.  I found it malty and well balanced but not dry by any means.
I am not overly fond of this style and much prefer the Festbiers.  I really enjoyed the collabs they did with the German breweries a couple years back.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2021, 03:32:37 pm »
I bought a six pack Saturday, canned 7/7/21, most likely from N.C.  I found it malty and well balanced but not dry by any means.
I am not overly fond of this style and much prefer the Festbiers.  I really enjoyed the collabs they did with the German breweries a couple years back.
I'm with ya
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2021, 01:24:06 pm »
I just had a pint on draft yesterday and I was honestly surprised at the sweetness. Not cloying, by any means, but I really don't look for any sweetness in the style. This is disappointing, especially considering how good their Ofests have been in recent years.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2021, 01:29:22 pm »
I just had a pint on draft yesterday and I was honestly surprised at the sweetness. Not cloying, by any means, but I really don't look for any sweetness in the style. This is disappointing, especially considering how good their Ofests have been in recent years.

Seems to be a trend developing...sweeter on the east coast.  Maybe a coincidence.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell