Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: age mead in hot climate  (Read 2085 times)

Offline copachino

• Cellarman
age mead in hot climate
« on: February 25, 2021, 02:30:36 pm »
hi all, i have a couple of question about aging mead,

its been a week since the fermentation of my first mead finished, after finished i took the fermenter out of the fermentation chamber, taste it and for my surprise it really tasted nice, but yesterday i tasted it again before racking to a secondary to stabilize, and it tasted awful, like medicine, and smell like fussel alcohols, so, im wondering if i age this mead at my room temperature about 95F or 98F will continue to taste bad, i made a 4 gallon batch and i cant have on my only fermentation chamber for 6 months so, im not sure if this will improve over the months or continue to taste bad after 3 o 6 months

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: age mead in hot climate
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 04:29:26 pm »
Fusel alcohol occurs when the fermentation is too warm but it seems like you had it in a fermentation chamber with temperature control.
Ageing in secondary is ok in warm temps although I have no experience with temps in the nineties. It usually does benefit from some cooler temperatures after a couple months though to get clear.
Mead doesn’t usually taste good to me at this stage so if your fermentation temps were not higher than very low 70s you should be fine.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline copachino

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 10:02:19 am »
i did ferment for two weeks  at 68-66F on the chamber but its a small only one bucket size fermentation chamber, so i cant leave the mead too much since i do make beer for drinks with my friends, i have already stabilized(yesterday) and showing a lot more clear, im going to back sweet the next week and leave for 2 months then bottle cause im dont have any dark place to hide the bucket, so regular beer bottles will do the job with UV

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 10:14:32 am »
You could let it sit at room temperature for a couple months then use your fermentation chamber to hold cold for a couple weeks before bottling. Also, since this will have little or no cold storage you could use a clarifying agent to help with clarity.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 11:06:01 am »
i did ferment for two weeks  at 68-66F on the chamber but its a small only one bucket size fermentation chamber, so i cant leave the mead too much since i do make beer for drinks with my friends, i have already stabilized(yesterday) and showing a lot more clear, im going to back sweet the next week and leave for 2 months then bottle cause im dont have any dark place to hide the bucket, so regular beer bottles will do the job with UV
FYI, UV is much less of an issue with mead than beer because there are no hops. Many commercial examples are bottled in clear bottles and age just as well as wine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline copachino

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 12:25:35 pm »
thank you i didnt know that. btw this mead its just water and honey mead i did put some raisins but nothing more than the yeast nutrients on it, do i have to try Ph add tannins?

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 05:30:36 am »
You can taste at bottling and add acid blend and tannin to taste. If you are back sweetening you probably will want to.
I usually add tannins, often simply in the form of black tea (not enough to taste) at the start. I feel tannins help with clarity.