Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxygen scavenging bottle caps - worth it?  (Read 4241 times)

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
Oxygen scavenging bottle caps - worth it?
« on: February 26, 2021, 09:31:59 am »
I'm confident there have been threads here covering this topic but I'm gonna take the easier way out and solicit thoughts from current participants here. It's been years since I've bottled my batches -I keg. When I do bottle it's a few here and there to give to family and friends or for club meetings so not ones that will be hanging around for long. I will in the near future have more beer than keg space (brewing spree coming up) so will need to bottle some for longer term storage. Are oxygen scavenging bottle caps worth using? I understand the theoretical utility of them but wonder if there is objective data out there for dissolved oxygen levels in beers using those caps versus regular caps in the same beers, and also what folks here can tell me about any personal experience beyond "I use them as insurance but can't really say if they make a difference." I will likely be storing these beers for several months,  storing them in a fridge at 35-ish degrees in order to preserve them. Thanks!
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Oxygen scavenging bottle caps - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 09:51:31 am »
I have never seen data about them.  Experiential refereneces say maybe, which has been my experience.  I tend to use them if I'm bottling for long term storage because it couldn't hurt, but I wouldn't hesitate to bottle the same batch if I didn't have them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 10:01:22 am »
The work ... in theory!  ;)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 12:00:42 pm »
Another thing to consider is the quality of the cap. If you plan to store your beer for a long time, don't cut corners and use cheap caps. If you buy a quality cap it will probably be oxygen absorbing. I have had a whole batch come out flat because I used caps that didn't seal well enough. Not worth it to save a few pennies.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 12:10:37 pm »
Another thing to consider is the quality of the cap. If you plan to store your beer for a long time, don't cut corners and use cheap caps. If you buy a quality cap it will probably be oxygen absorbing. I have had a whole batch come out flat because I used caps that didn't seal well enough. Not worth it to save a few pennies.

Absolutely true!  Bottle conditioned beer is different than filtered and Pasteurized bottled beer. Bottle conditioned beer has a live culture that will naturally scavenge O2 while conditioning.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 12:20:46 pm »

Absolutely true!  Bottle conditioned beer is different than filtered and Pasteurized bottled beer. Bottle conditioned beer has a live culture that will naturally scavenge O2 while conditioning.

what about homebrewers who bottle from the keg or breweries who force carb??  It is neither bottle conditioned, nor filtered and pasteurized.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 01:32:25 pm »
what about homebrewers who bottle from the keg or breweries who force carb??  It is neither bottle conditioned, nor filtered and pasteurized.

How old is the beer when it is bottled from the keg?  Is it still slightly turbid or is it crystal clear?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 02:42:33 pm »

How old is the beer when it is bottled from the keg?  Is it still slightly turbid or is it crystal clear?

For me, crystal clear and young.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 08:47:57 am »
Are oxygen scavenging bottle caps worth using? I understand the theoretical utility of them but wonder if there is objective data out there for dissolved oxygen levels in beers using those caps versus regular caps in the same beers, and also what folks here can tell me about any personal experience beyond "I use them as insurance but can't really say if they make a difference."

Per Kunze, the scavenger compound used in oxygen absorbing crown caps can bind 2-4 mg of oxygen.  That's all the technical data I've ever seen on them (though I wouldn't be surprised if there's some real world experimental data on the lowoxygen forum).

Given that you can get 100 of them for $3.79, I don't know why you wouldn't use them. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 09:34:52 am »
From the Morebeer website: "These caps activate once you get them wet. Do not wet or sanitize caps in advance of your bottling session or they will not work correctly. They’ll still close the bottle like any other cap, but the oxygen-absorbing function will be used up."

This can be an issue depending on your bottling procedure.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 10:47:19 am »
FTR there is no need to sanitize bottle caps unless you have contaminated them somehow. I have shipped tens of thousands of bottles bottled from a Meheen and the caps are just scooped out and dumped in the hopper. Can lids are never sanitized either.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 10:55:57 am by majorvices »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 11:32:01 am »
FTR there is no need to sanitize bottle caps unless you have contaminated them somehow. I have shipped tens of thousands of bottles bottled from a Meheen and the caps are just scooped out and dumped in the hopper. Can lids are never sanitized either.

If my LHBS buys in bulk and repackages would you say the same?  I've never been able to decide and sanitize them anyway.

www.dennybrew.com

Fire Rooster

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 11:33:38 am »
Caps need to be wet to be activated.
I dip cap in star-san just before crimping each bottle.
Kill two birds with one stone, sanitize & activate.
I don't turn bottles upside down any more.

Just checked MB and NB, oxy caps are same price as regular ones
,so why would one even bother.  NB logo on oxy caps
are actually cheaper.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 03:16:43 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 12:57:45 pm »

If my LHBS buys in bulk and repackages would you say the same?  I've never been able to decide and sanitize them anyway.

If they are dumb enough to keep em next to the grain grinder maybe. I personally think homebrewers sanitize a lot of stuff unnecessarily out of caution. Certainly doesn't hurt - unless in the case of o2 scavenging caps them maybe it does!

Most manufacturers for bottling and canning equipment recommend rinsing the package with deaerated water as opposed to sanitizer since sanitizers like PAA can increase DO pick up in package. So often a lot of times the package isn't even sanitized, only rinsed to remove any dust/etc. from storage.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 01:50:24 pm »
Bottle caps are skanky looking.  I don’t know whats touched or crawled on them.
Rumor has it they get around, so I use star-san protection.