Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Move Kölsch off of yeast?  (Read 1190 times)

Offline gleece

• 1st Kit
Move Kölsch off of yeast?
« on: February 26, 2021, 09:34:29 am »
I brewed NB's Hybrid Kölsch extract kit. It finished up after 7 days so i did a 24-hour diacetyl rest. It is still in the original fermenter and has been cold-crashing (around 33 degrees) for 8 days now. Would you recommend i remove it from the yeast cake into a new fermenter? How long is best to lager it?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Move Kölsch off of yeast?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 09:52:14 am »
There's no need to rack the beer off the yeast. Racking the beer can unnecessarily introduce oxidation, unless you are racking into a vessel purged with Co2. When it is clear enough for you package it.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 11:05:43 am »
At some point, you will reach a point of no return.  However, I agree with majorvices in that you should wait until you package the batch to move it off of the primary yeast culture.  If you are like most brewers, you will more than likely package the batch before it reaches the point of no return.

Offline gleece

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 12:31:53 pm »
i had read that its a good idea to lager a Kölsch for 4 weeks before kegging. Would you agree? Or should i transfer it to another vessel and lager another 2-3 weeks? I usually don't transfer my beers due to oxygen exposure, but im just wondering which technique is best.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 01:18:09 pm »
i had read that its a good idea to lager a Kölsch for 4 weeks before kegging. Would you agree? Or should i transfer it to another vessel and lager another 2-3 weeks? I usually don't transfer my beers due to oxygen exposure, but im just wondering which technique is best.

There is nothing limiting you from lagering in the keg. That is what I do most of the time.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 01:24:39 pm »

There is nothing limiting you from lagering in the keg. That is what I do most of the time.
Same here. I put it on tap and lager it in my kegerator. I'll usually take a short pour once or twice a week to see how it's coming along.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 01:38:46 pm »

Lagering is kind of a myth. There is nothing magical that happens when you lager the beer except you drop out yeast and haze to clear the beer which can be accelerated along greatly with some finings such as gelatin/biofine/etc.

If you have kegs then, yes, by all means rack to a purge keg whenever you want and use the keg to lager under Co2 pressure. But when the beer tastes good and is clear it is ready to drink. There is not magic that happens lageirng for 4 weeks.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 04:48:12 pm »
You can ferment under pressure and rack carbonated beer into a purged keg for dispensing after lagering however long you want.  It’s a good way to go, though not necessary by any means. 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"