Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trying Something New  (Read 873 times)

Offline MagicRat

• Cellarman
Trying Something New
« on: May 22, 2021, 07:53:45 am »
I have never done anything other than a standard all grain process using a 10 gallon Igloo cooler converted to a mash tun.  My wife recently ordered some stuff online for me and ended up ordering a couple BIAB mesh bags.  My BK isn’t big enough to do a true no-sparge BIAB but I took the filter out of my mash tun and I’m just going to mash and batch sparge as usual, using the bag as my filter.  I plan to let the bag drain into the tun while I heat to a boil and then add what drains to the BK.  I added a couple pounds to my recipe just because I’m not sure how much efficiency I’m going to lose.  I’ll decide at some point if I want to make this a regular part of my process or not.  I’m thinking it at least might come in handy next time I want to make a hefe instead of using rice hulls.

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Trying Something New
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 09:56:23 am »
MIAB. Been doing it that way for about for years. 10 gal cooler with bazooka braid. But also sparge. Efficiency was always good (for me). Moved to an Anvil Foundry 10.5 recently so that equipment has been retired for now.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 10:46:54 am »
I use a bag and a false bottom in my mash tun. I recirculate thru HERMS, lauter to a BK, then batch sparge.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 11:05:19 am »
I have been doing mash with a bag and then batch sparging lately. For my last batch instead of draining the kettle and pouring in the sparge water, I lifted the bag out and dunked it into a second vessel holding the hot sparge water. That let me start heating to boil while the sparge sat for a few minutes. That seemed a bit easier than draining the kettle before sparging.

PS. I don’t get clear wort with this method. If that important to you don’t try this.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 11:09:58 am »
I used a brew bag as a filter in my 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler/MLT and batch sparged with great results. After draining off the second runnings, I lifted the bag a few inches off of the bottom and put the lid on to hold in place as the BK heated up to a boil. Just before boiling I'd remove the bag and pour the remaining wort into the kettle. I had my mill set to .025", just like BIAB. The only MLT loss was to grin absorption, so efficiency was better than when I used a bazooka screen and batch sparged.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 05:58:33 pm »
I use a bag and a false bottom in my mash tun. I recirculate thru HERMS, lauter to a BK, then batch sparge.

BrewBama - Exactly what I do, with good mash and BH efficiencies.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 05:43:03 am »
Like most of you, I use the bag as a mash filter for any arrangement - single infusion, HERMS, 2 vessel recirc. RIMS.  All work well for me.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Fire Rooster

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 12:09:37 am »
BIAB is the only procedure I've used for all grain.
Satisfied with the results.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 12:15:18 am by Fire Rooster »