Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Still Bubbling  (Read 1373 times)

Offline JED42

• 1st Kit
Still Bubbling
« on: February 11, 2021, 07:37:40 am »
Last Thanksgiving I brewed an Irish Stout from a Northern Brewer kit. Two and a half months later it is still bubbling, albeit slowly. I used a blend of yeasts, a dry Nottingham Ale and a White Labs Irish Ale. These were started a day early with a can of Propper starter from MoreBeer. Initial fermentation was quick and vigorous. Would it be safe to keg this as is or should I continue to wait?

Thanks

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Still Bubbling
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 07:43:35 am »
Airlock bubbles are just co2 coming out of solution and not a great way to determine fermentation activity. Take 2 gravity reading 72 hours apart. If they are the same the beer is done. That beer was finished months ago unless there is an infection working.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 08:48:28 am »
I’ve seen a few brewers here lately wanting to keep their beer in primary for months. Not sure where this advice is coming from. Generally speaking, yeast chew thru wort in days vs months. Granted, some are slow to get across the finish line but we’re talking weeks not months.

Trust your hydrometer not the airlock. A FG hydrometer is easier to read and more accurate for determining if it’s done.

Package when complete. No advantage to waiting an extended period of time once complete. It’ll clear in the keg or bottle. Leaving it in a fermenter after active fermentation is complete can allow more opportunity for potential O2 pickup.

Your kit instruction sheet has general guidelines: 1–2 weeks primary, 2–4 weeks secondary*, 1–2 weeks bottle conditioning.

Your kit should be ready to drink in 4-6 weeks.

*I would skip secondary but that’s your call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 11:22:15 am »
It was done when the Krausen receded and the beer began to drop clear, A couple of gravity checks, 3 days apart would have verified this if they agreed.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline JED42

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 11:54:51 am »
Thanks