Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oatmeal stout: do I need to use rice hulls?  (Read 3235 times)

Offline hennesseystealth

• 1st Kit
    • Big Teardrop Campers
Re: Oatmeal stout: do I need to use rice hulls?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 04:02:20 pm »
I wasn't trying to be critical of the recipe or your intentions - I hope it didn't come across that way, but if it did, I apologize.  It's just that once you have mashed or partial mashed, the "mystique" of all grain will vanish for you.  Even so, there are plenty of great beers made from extracts and there is no shame in making them that way.  Steve Ruch who contributes here is one such example, based on space and choice - stellar beers I am told.  But a little understanding of the all grain process will help you in many ways.  Best of luck with your Oatmeal Stout - one of my favorites!

No offense taken. I have a BS in Chemical Engineering from UC Berkeley and prefer straight to the point comments.  I have had good luck with DME and have produced some beers that have been given the thumbs up by some pretty picky beer drinkers (mostly my hockey team).  Since I haven't used oatmeal before I wanted to make sure I had the science down pat before jeopardizing my reputation  :P

I now have to decide on a small amount of base malt to use in the steeping so it won't impact the final stout. I have a feeling it doesn't really matter.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 03:30:22 pm »

No offense taken. I have a BS in Chemical Engineering from UC Berkeley and prefer straight to the point comments.  I have had good luck with DME and have produced some beers that have been given the thumbs up by some pretty cky beer drinkers (mostly my hockey team).  Since I haven't used oatmeal before I wanted to make sure I had the science down pat before jeopardizing my reputation  :P

I now have to decide on a small amount of base malt to use in the steeping so it won't impact the final stout. I have a feeling it doesn't really matter.
I'd use the same base malt as what was used to make the extract.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2021, 03:36:21 pm »
I wasn't trying to be critical of the recipe or your intentions - I hope it didn't come across that way, but if it did, I apologize.  It's just that once you have mashed or partial mashed, the "mystique" of all grain will vanish for you.  Even so, there are plenty of great beers made from extracts and there is no shame in making them that way.  Steve Ruch who contributes here is one such example, based on space and choice - stellar beers I am told.  But a little understanding of the all grain process will help you in many ways.  Best of luck with your Oatmeal Stout - one of my favorites!
There are some excellent extracts out there that can make pretty good beer. I do make the occasional extract only beer, but am happier with the results using specialty grains. And I usually add some base grain to the specialty grains even if not needed to convert something like oatmeal.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women