Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite yeast for English Dark Mild ale  (Read 2385 times)

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
Favorite yeast for English Dark Mild ale
« on: March 01, 2021, 09:32:17 am »
I will be brewing a dark mild and would like to hear from others if you have a favorite yeast (liquid or dry) for this style, and if so what character that yeast imparts. I'm trying to generate a short list of suggestions. Would like to hear any that others have found work well for them in this style. Also, personally I believe I'm looking for something with British yeast character but not too estery. Thanks in advance!
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Favorite yeast for English Dark Mild ale
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 09:48:20 am »
My fave for the style is WY1318
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 09:57:07 am »
Thanks Denny. I had to look it up but see it's the Boddington's yeast which I've actually used multiple times for bitters and been happy with, though has been 4 or 5 years since I've used it. Yes, it seems a good choice from my experience with it. If I recall it doesn't throw a ton of ester and ferments pretty clean and balanced.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 10:57:34 am by ravenwater »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 12:08:07 pm »
I like WLP013 when I'm looking for English yeast character without a lot of esters. It has kind of a subtle oaky/woody character without a lot of fruit. Windsor is another option if you prefer dry yeast. It is a low attenuator so it works particularly well in small beers.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 01:51:56 pm »
Omega has two strains that are worth considering - British V and British VIII.  V is a fast worker and clear as a bell in a week (for me, anyway).  VIII is a true top cropper that leaves a yeast blanket on the top that some think is krausen, but is really just a perfectly "skimable" yeast cake.  I can't say with certainty what these two strains relate to in other mfg. catalogs.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 03:07:31 pm »
Having worked with quite a few British yeast cultures that are not available in the United States, I can honestly say that British yeast character without much in the way of esters is a bit of an oxymoron.  Characterful, in British terms, means esters often with phenols.  Most American brewers would be surprised to learn how many British yeast cultures that did not make it to this continent are POF+.  Harvey's is a prime example.  There are also British cultures that throw substantial amounts isoamyl acetate.  In fact, I am willing to bet that a lot of the yeast flavors we associate with Belgian brewing originated in the British Isles.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 03:32:29 pm »
Omega has two strains that are worth considering - British V and British VIII.  V is a fast worker and clear as a bell in a week (for me, anyway).  VIII is a true top cropper that leaves a yeast blanket on the top that some think is krausen, but is really just a perfectly "skimable" yeast cake.  I can't say with certainty what these two strains relate to in other mfg. catalogs.

That is interesting information.  Most of the sites that attempt to associate one propagator's yeast cultures with another propagator's yeast cultures associate this culture with Wyeast 1968, which I have never considered to be a true top-cropper.  If Omega British VIII is the same culture as Wyeast 1968, it is definitely an isolate that flocs to the top.  However, then again, I have never seen S-04 floc to the top like it did on the apple cider fermentation photo that was recently posted.

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 04:26:31 pm »
How do Imperial Darkness and Pub compare to these?
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 04:26:58 pm »
Oops, I switched them - the V is the top cropper and the VIII is the workhorse.  Sorry about that.  I used them both recently and didn't make the distinction correctly (I have a nice cream to crop tonight with the V).

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 04:48:27 pm »
Having worked with quite a few British yeast cultures that are not available in the United States, I can honestly say that British yeast character without much in the way of esters is a bit of an oxymoron.  Characterful, in British terms, means esters often with phenols.  Most American brewers would be surprised to learn how many British yeast cultures that did not make it to this continent are POF+.  Harvey's is a prime example.  There are also British cultures that throw substantial amounts isoamyl acetate.  In fact, I am willing to bet that a lot of the yeast flavors we associate with Belgian brewing originated in the British Isles.
Saccharomyces -  I appreciate your 2 cents worth here. I understand your oxymoron concept and that "low esters" is relative when talking about groups/types of yeasts, and that asking a British yeast to not be at least moderately estery would be ridiculous. I will manipulate temperature - ferment low - to subdue the ester profile so my malt flavors are forward but also after all I do want it to taste like a British beer. I guess what I'm seeking input on here is a suggestion for a "little less estery" British yeast.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 08:31:34 pm »
Saccharomyces -  I appreciate your 2 cents worth here. I understand your oxymoron concept and that "low esters" is relative when talking about groups/types of yeasts, and that asking a British yeast to not be at least moderately estery would be ridiculous. I will manipulate temperature - ferment low - to subdue the ester profile so my malt flavors are forward but also after all I do want it to taste like a British beer. I guess what I'm seeking input on here is a suggestion for a "little less estery" British yeast.

What you are seeking is not about the yeast culture.  It is about the malt, hops, and packaging. You might as well ferment the beer with Denny's Favorite 50.  British fermentation is about taking advantage of unique yeast metabolic waste products (i.e., esters, phenols, and diacetyl).  It is what makes British ale taste different than American ale, that and the fact that many British beers are served with low carbonation on cask.  Please do me a favor and read "Have You Seen Ester?" (https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/saccharomyces/have-you-seen-ester).  I guarantee that the information in that blog entry will help you sort your way through yeast cultures.  If you are seeking subdued esters, any American yeast culture fermented at 68F should fit the bill.  Fermenting at low temperature to subdue esters defeats the purpose of using a culture that produces esters.  It is a practice I refer to as tricking a yeast culture into performing the task at hand instead of picking the yeast culture for the task at hand.   We have so many yeast cultures available to us today that no one should feel the need to trick a yeast culture into performing the task at hand.

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 01:48:07 am »

The street buzz seems to be that the Verdant strain evolved from 1318.