Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Acidulated malt vs lactic acid  (Read 2515 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Acidulated malt vs lactic acid
« on: February 23, 2021, 09:24:17 pm »
Is there a flavor contribution to using acidulated malt vs lactic acid?

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Acidulated malt vs lactic acid
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 05:43:17 am »
I use in some of my brew and didn't get flavor, but there a catch my use was little, after a certain ppm of acid latic you can get the flavor in the final product, I don't remember how much now, and that why some ppl choose to use phophoric acid, I keep with acid malt or lactic acid because of the simplicity of the two

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 07:27:21 am »
Both would impart the flavor of (mostly) neutralized lactic acid, as both are lactic acid.  (Where 'mostly' = neutralized to the vicinity of pH 5.4)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 05:05:19 pm »
As a Berliner Weisse brewer, I can attest that a natural lactic acid product has more depth of flavor than a refined lactic acid. There are all kinds of acid producers in a naturally derived acid wort. They provide that depth and flavor. This can’t be said of refined lactic acid or cultures made from a pure lacto strain. They have a ‘single note’ flavor that I find unsatisfactory.

Because of this, I suggest that acidulated malt would add more flavor to a beer. But the real question is if the addition is sufficient to actually detect those flavors. In most cases, acidification probably isn’t imparting enough flavor to be detected.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 06:05:26 pm »
They are both sour.  If you use too much of either one, the beer will have a distinctive tartness.  My club did a brew a couple years ago where we had specified too much acidulated malt.  The beer had no pellicle and did not become more tart over time.  It was the acidulated.  Fortunately, with either one, it's a mild mellow acidity, and if you don't overdo it, it tastes good.

So... use restraint, use just barely enough to hit your pH goal, and you'll be fine.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 06:07:18 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 07:51:08 am »
I have never used lactic acid per se in a beer.  However, I have used acidulated malt to bring the pH of the wort down to the right level in some beers like my Tripel.  As Dave said, restraint is the key.  I only use about 4 ounces or in a ten gallon batch and get no sourness imparted by that small amount.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified