Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rum?  (Read 1911 times)

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
Rum?
« on: September 07, 2010, 08:58:10 pm »
I had beers that were aged in barrels that once held a variety of spirits or wines, but never rum. Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried aging with oak soaked in good rum? Sounds like an interesting experiment, albeit i think spiced rum would be horrible.
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
Re: Rum?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 09:27:35 pm »
I did an oatmeal stout aged on rum soaked oak cubes.  It was good, but in my opinion, not as good as bourbon, but better than port (I split it 3 ways).  It all depends on the base beer style that you are brewing.

I judged a robust porter with spiced rum and maple and it was a little intense.  The spice definitely came through in a harsh way.

Offline BarleynYeast

• Cellarman
  • Las Vegas, NV
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 12:21:49 am »
I used black rum and 1.5 oz’s French oak on a 4.2% abv brown porter last year.  Left it on the oak to long and it took over 6 months to mellow out, but it ended up being quite tasty and did very well in competition.
Matt

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:31:18 am »
Didn't do rum-soaked cubes but rather added rum directly at bottling (Goslings Black Seal).  Wasn't particularly impressed with the results as discussed here in an earlier thread...

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=3389.msg38475#msg38475
Joe