Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Style Guidelines?  (Read 3381 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: New Style Guidelines?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2021, 06:18:56 pm »
I have absolutely no idea what “beer flavored beer” means.  None.
 ???

Little help?

My guess is this:
Beer that someone likes and thinks you should.

Traditional beer styles that don't taste like peanut butter or jolly ranchers or sour patch kids or cheese cake or taco meat ...

Man, where exactly are you shopping for beer??   :)
(Truthfully, though, I had a really nice PB Porter one time.)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2021, 06:36:02 pm »
 ???

Little help?

My guess is this:

Traditional beer styles that don't taste like peanut butter or jolly ranchers or sour patch kids or cheese cake or taco meat ...

Man, where exactly are you shopping for beer??   :)
(Truthfully, though, I had a really nice PB Porter one time.)

Hahahaha  ... I think the question should be reversed. Where you been? ;)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2021, 08:03:22 pm »
Unfortunately it's turning out to be 200+ styles of IPA and everything else.
+1

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2021, 07:33:17 am »
Brewers. We're a weird bunch.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2021, 08:02:11 am »
 ???

Little help?

My guess is this:

I'd go beyond that...doesn't have to be trad as long as it's recognizable as beer
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2021, 05:48:09 pm »
I get the joke- a dig on pastry stouts, juicy IPA, and whatnot.

Since I primarily am drinking what I make, I have very little experience with these less traditional styles.  I'm not bothered so much that they exist & people like them, I just tend to drink closer to what I know from drink for 30 years or so.  That said I'm not adverse to adding new culinary flavors into my own beers so long as they are subtle and complementary.  All of this is subjective, no?

Online reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2021, 06:15:43 pm »
I definitely agree drink what you like. But, as a coffee snob, I also cringe when that is Keurig coffee.

For me at least the problems with Keurig are the unnecessary waste and the incredibly low quality of the product.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2021, 06:59:59 pm »
I'm all for two categories:

1) German lagers
2) everything else.

Cheers.

You had me at #1. In America, if you walk into a bar and say, "a beer please", you will get a BMC beer. Meh. Say the same in Germany or Austria, and you will get a beer so good it will change your life.

I wonder what German brewers think of our mango-coconut-vanilla-chocolate-jalapeno-raspberry-rose-hips-lavender imperial milkshake IPAs. I'm talking about the actual brewers, not the accountants who only care about what sells...

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2021, 05:26:32 am »

mango-coconut-vanilla-chocolate-jalapeno-raspberry-rose-hips-lavender imperial milkshake IPAs.

I had one of those, from Hyperbole Brewing. I had to walk a million miles to get it though.

;)

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2021, 05:13:04 pm »
I personally get way more excited and would stand in line for a release of a perfectly made German pils, Cali Common or Altbier. Unfortunately, I'd probably be the only one in line. Crazy beers sell in this social media world we live in where purchasing and showing off the product you bought is as important if not more-so than the consumption of the beverage itself. I have no interest personally as they're all too expensive, but my biggest gripe is that they crowd out the beer styles I enjoy on the shelves at my favorite beer stores. If I want Cali Common? I have one choice - Anchor. If I want milkshake guava kettle soured double dry hopped NEIPA? There's 10 different kinds available. No thanks.

I have an ace in my sleeve though, I just brew what I enjoy drinking and don't buy commercial beer. Win win!
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
Bloatarian Brewing League
BJCP B1408

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2021, 09:49:50 pm »
I'm all for two categories:

1) German lagers
2) everything else.

Cheers.

You had me at #1. In America, if you walk into a bar and say, "a beer please", you will get a BMC beer. Meh. Say the same in Germany or Austria, and you will get a beer so good it will change your life.

I wonder what German brewers think of our mango-coconut-vanilla-chocolate-jalapeno-raspberry-rose-hips-lavender imperial milkshake IPAs. I'm talking about the actual brewers, not the accountants who only care about what sells...

At bars in Germany they serve beer mixed with cola, or hefeweizen with banana nectar. There's good beer in Germany but there's an awful lot of dreck as well. To be honest most of the best examples of German beers I've had were made in America.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
New Style Guidelines?
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2021, 07:04:21 am »
While Radlers and colabiers were (are) popular in Germany, the best beers I’ve had were in Hausbrauerei in Germany. I have fond memories of the Dunkel at Woinemer Hausbrauerei.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:09:42 am by BrewBama »

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2021, 07:38:25 am »
I used to drink Coors light back in the day until I joined the Army in the early 80's. Then I got orders for Germany and that was it for Coors. I was into Weizen, Pils and Alt back then but tried about everything. My first beer in Germany was Hofbrau Helles type, it was pretty good. I once gave my German landlord a Bud, his comment "Das is scheiße". [That is s***]
Now BMC all seem like drinking tea or Kool-aid. Germany was the reason I started homebrewing.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2021, 08:16:24 am »
I had some great beer in Germany and a few I've never had anything close to in the States. In general though beer is more of an industrial commodity there than here. I would put places like Urban Chestnut, Prost and Bierstadt up against anyone brewing in Germany. There is good beer in Germany but it doesn't grow on trees.

I would say the average corner bakery there is 100% better than most of the "good" bakeries here, though. Every haircut I got there was better than any haircut I've gotten in the States. Some of their reputation for quality is well-earned.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 08:21:50 am by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.