Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What do you envision when you hear the term "American Wheat"?  (Read 11129 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: What do you envision when you hear the term "American Wheat"?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 01:02:58 pm »
I'm with others in that the style doesn't do much for me on its own. If I want clean and crisp I'll go with a pale lager or cream ale. this kind of falls in the "Blond Ale" category for me - it's good for a brewpub that only brews ales to have on their menu, but not for much else.

Where the style really shines for me is as the base for a fruit beer. Take that 50/50 Pils/Wheat recipe and throw in 5 pounds of blackberries or peaches and you're in business.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 01:14:04 pm »
I'm with others in that the style doesn't do much for me on its own. If I want clean and crisp I'll go with a pale lager or cream ale. this kind of falls in the "Blond Ale" category for me - it's good for a brewpub that only brews ales to have on their menu, but not for much else.

Where the style really shines for me is as the base for a fruit beer. Take that 50/50 Pils/Wheat recipe and throw in 5 pounds of blackberries or peaches and you're in business.
I agree.  Very nice base for a beer like that.

I just went back and scratched the Saaz and added a smaller amount of 10.2% Loral to this beer to get the same IBUs.  This will be a nice spring beer here.  I plan to fire up some 2124 for helles, pilsner, American Lager, etc. shortly but this beer will act as a nice bridge until those are ready.  Probably make it NEXT weekend.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What do you envision when you hear the term "American Wheat"?
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 01:51:52 pm »
In this thread they talk about Amer Hops combined with Mt Hood or Tett.:
Vienna Waits for You https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=40079&share_tid=36536&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehomebrewersassociation%2Eorg%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D36536&share_type=t&link_source=app

One of these combos discussed layered throughout at 60, 30, 10, 5 min on a base of 70% 2-row + 30% wheat sounds like Amer wheat to me. Maybe dry hop with Amarillo.

(BTW: I like Blonde Ale.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 02:02:17 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 02:01:50 pm »
Widmer obviously.

I agree. Odell Easy Street is another good one that someone noted earlier. I personally think a more characterful yeast is needed. I have always wanted to try "american hefe" yeast.

https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-single?id=149&type=YEAST&style_type=5

On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2021, 02:24:14 pm »
Widmer obviously.

I agree. Odell Easy Street is another good one that someone noted earlier. I personally think a more characterful yeast is needed. I have always wanted to try "american hefe" yeast.

I picked up a six pack once on my way to the pool on a really hot summer day many years ago. The date was fresh and I remember thinking that is exactly what that beer was made for. Not sure I ever had it again though! lol

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2021, 02:33:12 pm »
Widmer obviously.

My great grandparents came over from Swabia, and were wheat farmers in Kansas. I've been told stories of them brewing beer in a wash basin. Sounds a lot like a hefe to me, but I haven't found any family members who knew what recipe (if any) they used.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2021, 03:25:00 pm »
In my humble opinion, the prototype for the style is Widmer Hefe because Widmer was the first brewery to brew an American Wheat beer.  Widmer started with an alt strain from Zum Uerige, which is held under the Wyeast accession number 1007.  The strain became less flocculent in use at Widmer.  The less flocculent version is held under the Wyeast accession number 1010.  If I recall correctly, Widmer Hefe used to be bittered with Willamete and finished with Cascade, which gave it the citrus brightness.  We are talking about a restrained hopping rate here.   The grist is basically 2-row pale, malted wheat, and a small percentage of crystal/caramel.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 04:38:38 pm by Saccharomyces »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2021, 03:28:13 pm »
In my humble opinion, the prototype for the style is Widmer Hefe because Widmer was the first brewery to brew an American Wheat beer...

Exactly.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2021, 03:28:24 pm »
Boulevard Wheat reminds me of Ken’s description in the original post. It is very light quaffable bready beer. Not too much hops. It is great in the taproom.

I have made quite a few hoppy wheats. I kind of gave up on those. APAs are better IMHO.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2021, 03:36:00 pm »
My version of American Wheat is:

8lbs - Rahr 2-row
4lbs - Malted wheat
Very low hop additions, but a bit more in the bittering addition than the recipe I swiped from somewhere (don't have the exact numbers on me right now).
WY1010 - American Wheat

It's one of the beers you will usually find on tap at my hose because it is simple and refreshing.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2021, 03:48:24 pm »
I probably stayed away from Widmer thinking that it may have some banana & clove (which it wouldn't if it was made with 1007).  Banana and clove is not my thing nor are the witbier components so what I described in the OP is really just a blonde or golden ale.  Tommymorris also mentioned the 'bready' aspect of it.  With only one hop addition the yeast character will come through, for better or worse.  With an English ale in the mix there will be some bready character which makes it all the better.  Would someone be a dear and bring me a pint of this beer that I haven't made yet?  :D
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2021, 04:44:33 pm »
I probably stayed away from Widmer thinking that it may have some banana & clove (which it wouldn't if it was made with 1007). 

Widmer has no banana or clove, but it is hazy like a German Hefeweizen.  That is why Widmer Hefe is referred to as an American Hefeweizen.  The "American" in this context is that it is a clean, low ester beer.  From what I understand, 1007 is close to being straight from Zum Uerige whereas 1010 is what happened to the culture after being repitched at Widmer.  Widmer is the source for both cultures.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2021, 04:51:18 pm »
I find that a good Wheat Malt will give me all the “bready” I need, plus a slight sweetness and a nice smooth mouthfeel.  For an American Wheat, I’m not looking for any contribution from the yeast, but I certainly understand there are many reasons why you might.  I prefer it just like Slowbrew describes, simple and refreshing.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2021, 05:23:32 pm »
Boulevard Wheat reminds me of Ken’s description in the original post. It is very light quaffable bready beer. Not too much hops. It is great in the taproom.

I have made quite a few hoppy wheats. I kind of gave up on those. APAs are better IMHO.

I used to make one every spring hopped with Amarillo and with US-05 since it was easy, tasted good fresh and didn;t matter if it was hazy. Now of course if it's NOT hazy you have a problem.  :P

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2021, 09:39:28 pm »
I've done batches of wort 50/50 Pils & Wheat malt, aim for 1.050, hop to 20 IBUs with Noble or US Noble-children like Sterling or Mt Hood.  Then, split the batch and pitch half with WLP300 and the other half with WY1010, just to show how the same wort with different yeast will produce 2 totally different beers.

AM wheat can be an enjoyable pounder when fresh and on a hot day. Otherwise, its pretty boring.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge