Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What do you envision when you hear the term "American Wheat"?  (Read 11173 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: What do you envision when you hear the term "American Wheat"?
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2021, 11:59:11 am »
The good news is that we shall have access to canned WO soon:

https://www.brewbound.com/news/weihenstephan-to-release-cans-in-2021/

Cheers!
This is already available in my area at John's Grocery in Iowa City. The Hefeweizen is the benchmark for the style for me; amazing beer. The Helles is the absolutely perfect Helles as well. It's exactly everything that a helles should be. And yes, it's different than the Original Premium. But not by much, the abv is different, which is how I figured that out.
Jesse

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2021, 12:00:49 pm »
I'm toying with the idea of a wheat lager soon. My normal wheat has gotten a bit too clean and crisp for what I envision so might as well go all in. Planning to redesign the ale with a more characterful yeast and perhaps some munich malt
The one I'm planning to brew in early April is going to be 50% wheat, 25% Vienna, and 25% Pilsner, Mt. Hood to about 16 IBU, and Wyeast 1007 (absolutely love this yeast). Should result in a beauteous beverage.
Jesse

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2021, 12:07:53 pm »
I'm toying with the idea of a wheat lager soon. My normal wheat has gotten a bit too clean and crisp for what I envision so might as well go all in. Planning to redesign the ale with a more characterful yeast and perhaps some munich malt
The one I'm planning to brew in early April is going to be 50% wheat, 25% Vienna, and 25% Pilsner, Mt. Hood to about 16 IBU, and Wyeast 1007 (absolutely love this yeast). Should result in a beauteous beverage.
Yeah, that sounds really nice.  Are you able to get the beers made with 1007 clear?  I have been lucky with it (and 2565) but they can be stubborn to drop out.  I like the character I get from the 1007.  I'm also going to check at my local big bottle shop and see if that Weihenstephan Helles is there. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2021, 12:44:01 pm »
Yeah, that sounds really nice.  Are you able to get the beers made with 1007 clear?  I have been lucky with it (and 2565) but they can be stubborn to drop out.  I like the character I get from the 1007.  I'm also going to check at my local big bottle shop and see if that Weihenstephan Helles is there.

I use 1007 a lot and I can't ever recall having trouble with clearing.  I get people talk about it, but for some reason  it's never been an issue for me.  Maybe because I ferment it in the mid 50s?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2021, 02:29:25 pm »

I use 1007 a lot and I can't ever recall having trouble with clearing.  I get people talk about it, but for some reason  it's never been an issue for me.  Maybe because I ferment it in the mid 50s?
It does typically clear a bit slower for me, but I've been using biofine lately and I now have floating diptubes, so it shouldn't be a problem. I absolutely love that yeast though. I'm doing a Kolsch with it first, very excited for that as well.

Denny,

What styles do you normally use 1007 in?
Jesse

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2021, 03:56:10 pm »

That sounds great! I bet the Vienna will do wonders in that.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2021, 08:43:18 am »

It does typically clear a bit slower for me, but I've been using biofine lately and I now have floating diptubes, so it shouldn't be a problem. I absolutely love that yeast though. I'm doing a Kolsch with it first, very excited for that as well.

Denny,

What styles do you normally use 1007 in?

APA, IPA, and alt mainly

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2021, 09:16:49 am »

APA, IPA, and alt mainly
Cool. I love it in kolsch as well. I have used it for an APA before and liked it.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2021, 09:24:03 am »

APA, IPA, and alt mainly
Cool. I love it in kolsch as well. I have used it for an APA before and liked it.

For me, it's too clean for kolsch.  I expect the winey flavors I get with WY2565 in kolsch.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2021, 12:59:10 pm »
I recently purchased some new malts to try out from Riverbend Malt House, and I thought an American Wheat would be a perfect fit for some of them. Here's a draft of my recipe:

Title: Sundew Wheat

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Wheat Beer
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3.8 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 4.3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.042
Efficiency: 80% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 4.96%
IBU (tinseth): 21.75
SRM (morey): 4.53
Mash pH: 5.3

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - Appalachian Wheat (50%)
2 lb - Heritage (33.3%)
1 lb - Southern Select (16.7%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Vic Secret, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 15.07
0.5 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 6.68

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
2 g - Calcium Chloride (dihydrate), Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
3.5 g - Gypsum, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
1.5 g - Salt, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
2.22 ml - Lactic acid, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash

YEAST:
Omega Yeast Labs - Sundew OYL-401

I'm going to start a separate thread on the malts themselves under ingredients, but the Heritage is a 6-row kilned in the Vienna/Light Munich range, and the Southern Select is a Pale 2-row. The Appalachian Wheat is kilned a bit higher than a typical wheat. All of the malts taste great when I crunched a few kernels.

I want a bit of citrus/tropical character out of the hops, but I'm hoping that the balance will be in a good range so the yeast character of the Sundew and the malt will all balance out without anything being over the top.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2021, 01:25:37 pm »
Sounds pretty good, Eric.

@denny,

I guess I always get a light fruitiness or yeast ester from the 1007 that I absolutely love and the winey-ness was never something I desired.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2021, 02:22:12 pm »
Sounds pretty good, Eric.

@denny,

I guess I always get a light fruitiness or yeast ester from the 1007 that I absolutely love and the winey-ness was never something I desired.

Whatever you like is what you should use!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2021, 05:57:17 pm »
A bowl of cereal..."Wheaties".

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2021, 09:26:48 am »
A bowl of cereal..."Wheaties".
Nothing wrong with that. Maybe throw some flaked rye in there...
Jesse

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2021, 04:07:43 pm »
I just connected a cobra tap to this keg and grabbed a sample.  It's nice and just what I was looking for.  Not sure if I mentioned that the wort was VERY pale so I spilled a little homemade sinamar into the kettle prior to boiling just to boost the color.  No real flavor contribution at all.  The BRY-97 (first batch made with it) seems good.  It's not exciting but it seems to have fermented the beer nicely and the yeast character (what little there is) is pleasant enough.  I will probably make a pale ale with it next.  I'll snap a pic of this beer soon too.  It's a bit cloudy at the moment.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.