Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What do you envision when you hear the term "American Wheat"?  (Read 11122 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: What do you envision when you hear the term "American Wheat"?
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2021, 04:17:59 pm »
I just connected a cobra tap to this keg and grabbed a sample.  It's nice and just what I was looking for.  Not sure if I mentioned that the wort was VERY pale so I spilled a little homemade sinamar into the kettle prior to boiling just to boost the color.  No real flavor contribution at all.  The BRY-97 (first batch made with it) seems good.  It's not exciting but it seems to have fermented the beer nicely and the yeast character (what little there is) is pleasant enough.  I will probably make a pale ale with it next.  I'll snap a pic of this beer soon too.  It's a bit cloudy at the moment.  Cheers Beerheads.

Glad ya got what you were looking for!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2021, 04:18:42 pm »
An American Wheat that is sort of on the outside of the guidelines is Gumballhead from Three Floyds  in Indiana.  It is aggressively hopped with Amarillo.  Nice beer if you can find it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2021, 04:51:52 pm »
I just connected a cobra tap to this keg and grabbed a sample.  It's nice and just what I was looking for.  Not sure if I mentioned that the wort was VERY pale so I spilled a little homemade sinamar into the kettle prior to boiling just to boost the color.  No real flavor contribution at all.  The BRY-97 (first batch made with it) seems good.  It's not exciting but it seems to have fermented the beer nicely and the yeast character (what little there is) is pleasant enough.  I will probably make a pale ale with it next.  I'll snap a pic of this beer soon too.  It's a bit cloudy at the moment.  Cheers Beerheads.

Glad it came out well.  Your description of BRY-97 is exactly what I like about the yeast. I’ve always found it to be a solid fermenter, very neutral, drops out nicely, keeps the beer clean and slightly dry. (I love it in an American Stout!)

Question: How did you hop this AW?  I find that BRY usually allows hops to shine, if the intention was to have hops that shine that is.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2021, 11:25:37 pm »
Question: How did you hop this AW?  I find that BRY usually allows hops to shine, if the intention was to have hops that shine that is.
The point (for me) was to hop it modestly.  About 23-24 IBUs of Loral at the start of the boil.  That's it. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2021, 05:16:41 am »
The point (for me) was to hop it modestly.  About 23-24 IBUs of Loral at the start of the boil.  That's it.
You’re not going to fine that beer, are you?

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2021, 09:32:31 am »
I did add a gel solution.  But the harvested yeast + beer that has been sitting in a flask in the fridge looks murky and the 1-2 glasses of the beer I sampled yesterday were murky too.  I know everyone has mentioned that BRY-97 drops out nicely but so far the beer is pretty murky.  And no I'm not being paid for every time I type the word murky.  :D  Murky. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2021, 10:33:43 am »
It’ll clear on its own given time. ...but if you need it sooner then by all means.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2021, 12:17:17 pm »
I did add a gel solution.  But the harvested yeast + beer that has been sitting in a flask in the fridge looks murky and the 1-2 glasses of the beer I sampled yesterday were murky too.  I know everyone has mentioned that BRY-97 drops out nicely but so far the beer is pretty murky.  And no I'm not being paid for every time I type the word murky.  :D  Murky.
I asked because I think some of the good bready flavors in American Wheat come from the yeast being in suspension.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2021, 04:15:07 pm »
I asked because I think some of the good bready flavors in American Wheat come from the yeast being in suspension.
Yes, but I have a sickness like restless leg syndrome or angry bowel syndrome.  It's "clear beer" syndrome.  Not sure if I was born with it but it escalated when I started brewing for sure.  :P
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2021, 08:26:21 am »
Yes, but I have a sickness like restless leg syndrome or angry bowel syndrome.  It's "clear beer" syndrome.  Not sure if I was born with it but it escalated when I started brewing for sure.  :P
It’s a good sickness to have.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2021, 09:48:56 am »
Well, Ken, I'm finally brewing my American Wheat today and it will stay cloudy :p
I'm hopping mine with around 20IBU of Mt. Hood at FWH, 30 minute boil (to help keep it hazy), that and wy1007 should do the trick.
Jesse

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2021, 11:38:14 am »
The BRY-97 (first batch made with it) seems good.  It's not exciting but it seems to have fermented the beer nicely and the yeast character (what little there is) is pleasant enough. 

I have not brewed many American wheat batches, but I have brewed a lot of American Wit batches with sweet orange peel and coriander because it used to be my summer beer.  Wyeast 1007 works well in an American Wit.   It attenuates well, resulting in a crisp beer.  It also results in a cloudy beer.  I use 60/40 pils/malted wheat.  I know that traditional wit uses unmalted wheat, but this combo just works.  I brew to around 1.050.   The only problem with 1007 is that one needs to have a lot of headspace in one's fermentation vessel because it is a true top-cropper that creates a massive yeast head.  It is not uncommon for this culture to blow out of air lock.  A Chico derivative will work, but it is not powdery enough if one is looking for a cloudy appearance.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2021, 10:35:05 am »
Well, Ken, I'm finally brewing my American Wheat today and it will stay cloudy :p
I'm hopping mine with around 20IBU of Mt. Hood at FWH, 30 minute boil (to help keep it hazy), that and wy1007 should do the trick.
This sounds very nice to me.  Please post back once you've tried it.  I will try to get a picture of mine once it's on tap here. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2021, 11:05:54 am »
Mt Hood is a great hop, doesn't get enough love IMO.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2021, 08:38:55 pm »
This sounds very nice to me.  Please post back once you've tried it.  I will try to get a picture of mine once it's on tap here. 
Will do. I decided to go with 60 minute boil. Did low o2 brewing, was kinda worried about DMS, so decided, why not, I'll do a full 60. Plus, if it drops bright, I don't care that much.

@nateo - I agree, it's a really nice hop. It's my go-to for anything German. I know, the purists are going mad right now  :P
Jesse