Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Barleywine  (Read 4844 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Barleywine
« on: March 04, 2021, 10:11:53 am »
We wish to brew 10 gallons of Barleywine. My mash tun will only hold enough grain to do a 5 gallon batch.

Is there any work around to get a 10 gallon brew? Would using a malt extract work?

Or do we need to plan on doing two separate 5 gallon brews?

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
Re: Barleywine
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 10:14:13 am »
I would do 2 separate 5 gallon batches.

Remember that for big beers like that, efficiency usually goes way down - so account for that.

Sometimes you need to boil for 2 hours as well because of the extra volume needed to get a decent efficiency. I do on my system at least.
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
Bloatarian Brewing League
BJCP B1408

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 10:23:37 am »
Back in my extract days, I made a barleywine that was extract based and it involved a 3 gallon boil and top up water at end of boil to get to 5 gallons, so I would think that you could do it any number of ways: 1) with 2 five gallon batches made end to end or 2) 10 gallons made weaker and then adjust upward with DME at some point in the boil (but the flavor profile would likely be slightly different than the 2 separate batches) or 3) make a 5 gallon (or different volume) batch with a super heavy SG (if the equipment allows it) and add top up water to get to 10 gallons (added to boil or post boil).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 10:28:51 am »
All kinds of options!
Probably looking at two separate 5 gallon brews. And one full day of brewing!
I have not made one of these before, and we are looking forward to it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 11:06:28 am »
All kinds of options!
Probably looking at two separate 5 gallon brews. And one full day of brewing!
I have not made one of these before, and we are looking forward to it.

I used to make 10-12 gal. of BW yearly with a friend.  For a long we combined equipment so we'd have enough capacity.  I finally bought a 152 qt. cooler that allowed us to do it with one mash with room to spare.  Perhaps one of those would be an option for you.  We also would get 12-15 gal. of a second runnings beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 11:17:57 am »
Can your mash tun hold enough grain to brew a 10 gallon batch of a normal gravity beer? If so, you can use an iterated mash to hit your target gravity. Mash, remove grains, then use the wort from your first mash as the liquor for a second mash with the rest of the grain. I do this for 3 gallon batches and it works great. However, I'd imagine that the logistics may make this a lot more challenging for a 10 gallon batch.

The best part is that if you pick the right mash temps you can end up with a very attenuative wort. You can perform your initial mash in the alpha amylase temp range, then hold the second mash in range for a low beta rest that overlaps the range for limit dextrinase. The initial alpha rest provides a lot more substrate for limit dextrinase. This leads to a highly fermentable wort, which is exactly what you want for a big barleywine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 12:38:27 pm »
You could also do what fits in your regular tun and do the rest either in a cooler or as a biab then combine in the boil kettle.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 01:37:32 pm »
Based on past experience, about 30 lbs might max out my mash tun. The most I have put in was 24 lbs. I might squeeze 32 lbs in.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 02:45:09 pm »
Hopefully, you have a lot of thirsty friends. :)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 03:16:37 pm »
Hopefully, you have a lot of thirsty friends. :)

Oh yes, got a few of those. My wife likes the style, so want to brew up something that will be pleasing to her.

Happy wife, happy life.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 05:35:18 pm »
Personally I would try to borrow a second mash tun if possible. I'd imagine there is at least one other brewer somewhere around you who would help you out.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 06:33:22 pm »
Personally I would try to borrow a second mash tun if possible. I'd imagine there is at least one other brewer somewhere around you who would help you out.

Good idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 08:22:51 am »

This essentially what I did until I got a larger one.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 09:45:19 am »
Let me run this by you all...

I will mash 24 lbs as usual. Then collect the resulting wort. Dump the spent grain from the mash tun, and add another 24 lbs of grain. Do another mash, but use the wort from the first mash as the hot liquor to sparge the grain.

This would get the 48 lbs mashed (2 X 24 lbs), and I could do the boil (13.5 gallons) in my kettle.

Is this the correct procedure?

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2021, 10:10:31 am »
There is no one correct answer. If it were me I would use two tuns, probably doing a biab on the side because I wouldn't want to extend my brewday so much but if you are willing to spend the time this seems like a fine way to go. The only downside I see to what you propose is the possibility of more oxidation.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.