Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Barleywine  (Read 4865 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Barleywine
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2021, 10:16:47 am »
That beer will not taste anything like Guinness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2021, 10:25:58 am »
That beer will not taste anything like Guinness.

That is not the intent. She wants a dark, English style Ale, around 12% ABV. Guinness is way too light for her, in flavor and alcohol content.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2021, 10:26:15 am »
As this is a new experience, I will split a 5 gallon batch with a friend.

Would light Munich Malt fit in the grain bill?

Here is what we have so far:

Pale Malt
Dingemans Special B
Crystal Rosewood 40L

I tend to use some Munich 10 in mine.  I'd definitely lose the Special B.  As a point of comparison, here's my recipe (albeit American style) that took BOS at the OR State Fair one year.  BTW, it was 5 years old!    https://www.experimentalbrew.com/recipes/dennys-old-stoner-barleywine

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

It seems like Special B is not very popular here. My recipe is from the 7 Seas Brewery, in Gig Harbor, WA. They actually call for 13 ounces of B for a 5 gallon batch size.

https://www.7seasbrewing.com/

Special B is great, but its easy to overdo it.  I'm curious why you picked the beer as a model.  Have you ever tasted it?  I don't live too far from there and am in the area frequently, but I've never heard of  the brewery nor seen their beer around.

I got the recipe from BYO, and there were good comments. Never tried it. It looks like a simple recipe, without dry hopping. IBU 38. ABV 12%. Our friends are looking for a high-octane Guinness type beer. This looks like it would work.

(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.107   FG = 1.026
IBU = 38   SRM = 22   ABV = 12%

“Brewed slightly differently each year, but typically aged a minimum of eight months, these Barley Wines display a reddish-brown hue and exhibit prominent notes of ripe pit fruit, brown sugar, toffee, and a full-bodied, malty mouthfeel.”

17 lbs. (7.7 kg) Maris Otter pale ale malt
1.25 lbs. (0.57 kg) British carastan malt (34 °L)
13 oz. (0.37 kg) Belgian Special B malt (120 °L)
5.7 AAU Glacier hop pellets (60 min.)
(1 oz./28 g at 5.7% alpha acids)
5.7 AAU Glacier hop pellets (40 min.) (1 oz./28 g at 5.7% alpha acids)
3.6 AAU East Kent Golding hop pellets (20 min.) (0.75 oz./21 g at 4.75% alpha acids)
2.4 AAU East Kent Golding hop pellets (5 min.) (0.5 oz./14 g at 4.75% alpha acids)
2 lbs. (0.91 kg) clover honey (10 min.)
1⁄2 tsp. Irish moss (30 min.)
1⁄2 tsp. yeast nutrient (15 min.)
White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) or Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) yeast or Safale US-05 yeast
3⁄4 cup (150 g) dextrose (if priming)

If you want a high octane German style beer, why not a doppelbock?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2021, 10:28:33 am »

Pale Malt
Dingemans Special B
Crystal Rosewood 40L

I tend to use some Munich 10 in mine.  I'd definitely lose the Special B.  As a point of comparison, here's my recipe (albeit American style) that took BOS at the OR State Fair one year.  BTW, it was 5 years old!    https://www.experimentalbrew.com/recipes/dennys-old-stoner-barleywine

It seems like Special B is not very popular here. My recipe is from the 7 Seas Brewery, in Gig Harbor, WA. They actually call for 13 ounces of B for a 5 gallon batch size.

Special B is great, but its easy to overdo it.  I'm curious why you picked the beer as a model.  Have you ever tasted it?  I don't live too far from there and am in the area frequently, but I've never heard of  the brewery nor seen their beer around.

I got the recipe from BYO, and there were good comments. Never tried it. It looks like a simple recipe, without dry hopping. IBU 38. ABV 12%. Our friends are looking for a high-octane Guinness type beer. This looks like it would work.

OG = 1.107   FG = 1.026

“Brewed slightly differently each year, but typically aged a minimum of eight months, these Barley Wines display a reddish-brown hue and exhibit prominent notes of ripe pit fruit, brown sugar, toffee, and a full-bodied, malty mouthfeel.”

3.6 AAU East Kent Golding hop pellets (20 min.) (0.75 oz./21 g at 4.75% alpha acids)
2.4 AAU East Kent Golding hop pellets (5 min.) (0.5 oz./14 g at 4.75% alpha acids)
White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) or Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) yeast or Safale US-05 yeast

That would be an option, and my wife likes it. But we want an English Ale this time.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2021, 11:23:21 am »

Pale Malt
Dingemans Special B
Crystal Rosewood 40L

OG = 1.107   FG = 1.026

That would be an option, and my wife likes it. But we want an English Ale this time.
I don't know that this recipe would taste very much like an English Ale. I'd replace the pale malt with an English Pale Ale malt (like Maris Otter), skip the Special B, and use a UK ale yeast that is a bit more attenuative and not super flocculant. WY1028 and WLP007 come to mind, but there are plenty of other good choices.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2021, 06:10:44 pm »
After all the input, the recipe is being tweaked a bit.
Thanks for all the advice and help.

After looking at the medal winning recipes here, a number of them use Special B.

I used Carabohemian in my last Porter, with good results.

Would this be appropriate in a Barleywine?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 06:48:44 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2021, 06:31:07 pm »
It is going to be difficult to reach your desired ABV.  Most yeast cultures are going to sputter around 9 to 10% ABV and that is when sufficient yeast is pitched.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2021, 07:46:04 pm »
It is going to be difficult to reach your desired ABV.  Most yeast cultures are going to sputter around 9 to 10% ABV and that is when sufficient yeast is pitched.

Yes, I understand. We will live with whatever we get. I plan to over-pitch...like I always do!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2021, 08:15:04 am »

I have never had a problem reaching 12% with WY1056, 1272, 1450 or US05.  10+% with WY1728.  I realize those may be anomalies but if so they're consistent anomalies
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2021, 09:08:29 am »

I have never had a problem reaching 12% with WY1056, 1272, 1450 or US05.  10+% with WY1728.  I realize those may be anomalies but if so they're consistent anomalies
The Barleywine I made in November with WY 1450 came out at 11.4% ABV.

Dan Chisholm

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2021, 10:19:09 am »
I would say that if your fermentation is stalling at 9-10%, then you haven't pitched sufficient yeast. Like Denny, I routinely get US05 over 12%. I've even gotten WLP037 to go from 1.142 down to 1.024 with a very large pitch and sufficient oxygenation. This is the most bizarrely flocculant strain I've ever seen, and it blew White Labs numbers for ABV tolerance and attenuation out of the water despite the exceptionally high starting gravity.

Big beers are a different animal, and the required yeast management is a bit different. But that doesn't preclude success.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2021, 12:55:03 pm »
I really think the fermentability of the wort has as much to do with it as the yeast vitality.  Make a fermentable enough wort (step mashing perhaps?) and pitch healthy yeast and you will probably turn out fine.  I once did a 14% batch and it took longer to finish, but it finished eventually.  My recollection is that it was White Labs 001 or 002 - I knew from nothing on that yeast selection.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2021, 03:51:19 pm »
My two yeast selection options are Safale S-04 (9-11%), Wyeast London Ale (11%).

I have a half gallon slurry of each one, very fresh.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 03:53:22 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2021, 02:01:31 pm »
My OG is 1.087 / 20.9 BRIX.

Will this get me in the ballpark for a Barleywine?

Upon further review, the style ranges from OG 1.080 to 1.1+.

I think this will work!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 02:07:20 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2021, 04:55:13 pm »
Here is what the wort looked like right out of the boil kettle, at 70 degrees.