Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Editor's peat smoked grain comments  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Editor's peat smoked grain comments
« on: March 06, 2021, 11:20:32 am »
I read Dave's comments on peat smoke grains with a wry smile. I spent years swearing that peat smoked grain would taste nasty in beer: until tasting one at an ORCA homebrew club meeting, before the pandemic. Turns out a light touch of peat can enhance the right beer.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Editor's peat smoked grain comments
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 01:03:22 pm »
It sure can. I brewed a peated dry stout, using 1 oz./gallon (~3%) peated malt, several times. It was always a hit with everyone who tried it. I wouldn't recommend more than that.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 08:07:12 pm »
It sure can. I brewed a peated dry stout, using 1 oz./gallon (~3%) peated malt, several times. It was always a hit with everyone who tried it. I wouldn't recommend more than that.

when one is tasting it, does it remind you of peated scotch? peat malt is always such a taboo thing, i cant think of a less-studied malt to be hoenst.

Online mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 07:15:46 pm »
Hmm?  I'd rather put the fear of god...ok, fear of peat, into most brewers knowledge since it takes so little of that malt to screw up a beer.  I'm glad to hear that the right 'touch' is pleasant and appealing.  The problem is that some use the 'if a little is good, more is better' philosophy.  Hopefully the editor's note helps brewers avoid that.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 09:52:14 am »
I cant stand the flavor of smoke in beer, but I had a stout at a brewery that had a tiny amount of peated malt in it, a very very tiny amount, and it seemed to accentuate the roasted malts and I enjoyed the beer quite a bit.