Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 5.2 pH Stabilizer  (Read 18891 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: 5.2 pH Stabilizer
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 08:48:38 am »
I assume you mean this:

http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/road_sidewalk/calcium_chloride_PG.html

Its made for melting ice and while I don’t think there are additives in it I wouldn’t trust that it is food grade.

I see your problem. You need calcium chloride but the only food grade source you have is mail order. I’d still try to get food grade calcium chloride though. On an Aquarium web site I ran across this statement: “Smart ReefTM +Calc (Calcium Chloride) has is high purity calcium chloride and does not contain high bromides which recently manufactured calcium chloride by DOW does. Bromide can be detrimental to your aquarium.” This seem to imply that regular CaCl2 may contain traces of other stuff.

Kai

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 12:23:25 am »
Whew! I nearly bought this 5pH stuff during my last visit to the LHBS! Meant to ask you guys about it...

And here it is.

Jar said it was bad with high iron water- so if the well water has this property...?

I'm with Denny on just using one's water to one's advantage. I'm pushing it to brew as low as 16 SRM! But there's a reason Brown ale was invented here LOL j/k ::)

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 04:44:11 am »
I would like some feedback on the use 5.2 pH Stabilizer. Any opinions one way or another would be appreciated.

Using a Pool salt to maintain the pH is a better idea. Pool salt is very cheap to purchase and also easy to get the results. You should try the best salt product to get the maximum result.

You could get the best salt from

Removed spam link

Sorry, I don't typically respond to spam bots, but pool salt is absolutely, 100% NOT a better idea. Check your algorithm to make sure you're not posting on a food/beverage website when setting up an ad for pool chemicals. Sheez!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 06:45:40 am by majorvices »
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer