Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New (to me) Briess malts...  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
New (to me) Briess malts...
« on: March 09, 2021, 08:59:14 am »
I was on Ritebrew just now to order some malt.  I saw Briess Synergy Select Pilsner, Briess Full Pint Pilsner and also Briess Synergy Select Maltgems.  I have seen a few threads about these malts here on AHA but not a ton of real-world feedback and I didn't want to roll the dice so I ended up with Best Malz Pils which I know makes great beer.  Anyone have any experience with these Briess malts?  Their price was pretty good... around $40 for a 50lb sack.  Is there anything truly different about them?  Are any of these exceptional malts?
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: New (to me) Briess malts...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 09:26:52 am »
I can tell you that Full Pint is a very popular barley variety here in the PNW.  Mecca Grade and several others use it.  Very full flavored.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 09:34:19 am »
I'm with Denny on this, Full Pint has flavor, and is easy to work with.

The synergy is said to have European character. You might try that one someday.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 09:45:03 am »
The Maltgems is supposed to have some of the husk material removed to create a smoother beer.  This seems kind of odd to me because the description says it removes "harsh flavors" but I'm not understanding what harsh flavors they're talking about.  The Full Pint sounds good.  I might just order a sack to experience it and the price is pretty attractive.  Thanks guys.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 09:59:43 am »
When I was reading the description of the Full Pint, somewhere in there it said that "the fermented beer tasted sweet, slightly estery and tart".  That did not sound good to me and I wondered if those descriptions were based on some weird fermentation that they did.  Malt should not bring out esters, right?  Anyway... I added to my order and picked up a sack of it so I can try it on some upcoming beers.  Cheers guys.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 10:02:03 am »
When I was reading the description of the Full Pint, somewhere in there it said that "the fermented beer tasted sweet, slightly estery and tart".  That did not sound good to me and I wondered if those descriptions were based on some weird fermentation that they did.  Malt should not bring out esters, right?  Anyway... I added to my order and picked up a sack of it so I can try it on some upcoming beers.  Cheers guys.

Without a better description from the taster, who knows?  I have tasted Full Pint in many forms and never thought of that description.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 10:11:36 am »
Without a better description from the taster, who knows?  I have tasted Full Pint in many forms and never thought of that description.
Thank Jeebus.  I don't need a sack of malt that makes tart, sweet, estery beer.  :P  My guess is that it will make very nice beer here and I will report back.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 10:24:41 am »
This is gonna sound stupid. I bought some Briess Full Pint to try it out. But, I forgot to write down which batches I used it in. So, I can say it’s isn’t bad but I didn’t notice a glaring difference from Great Western Premium Two Row in an APA.

Worst review ever

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 10:32:56 am »
This is gonna sound stupid. I bought some Briess Full Pint to try it out. But, I forgot to write down which batches I used it in. So, I can say it’s isn’t bad but I didn’t notice a glaring difference from Great Western Premium Two Row in an APA.

Worst review ever
That's not necessarily stupid.  When I put a recipe together I try very hard to add the specific brand of each malt that I am using and if I make a gametime decision and change something, I try to make a note of that as well.  But sometimes I forget.  I also try to add tasting notes to each beer and very often forget to do that.  Palm, meet face.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 11:01:48 am »
Thank Jeebus.  I don't need a sack of malt that makes tart, sweet, estery beer.  :P  My guess is that it will make very nice beer here and I will report back.

Also, the best way to compare malt is with the ASBC hot steep test, not in a beer.  In a hot steep you eliminate variables that might affect flavor.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 12:33:09 pm »
I’ve gone thru a few sacks of Briess Full Pint. I thought it was good stuff. The only reason I didn’t continue using it is because I’ve been using More Beer lately and they don’t carry it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 05:07:15 am »
Briess Full Pint malt is a nice malt I've used it twice brewing Helles and the results were great.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 07:18:54 am »
Briess Full Pint malt is a nice malt I've used it twice brewing Helles and the results were great.
I have an "American Lager" that I used in conjunction with their Bonlander Munich (and Edelweiss hops) and last weekend I used it in a dark lager where it was the majority of the grist.  I don't expect it to come through much because there was also Vienna and Carafa in there.  But I also have a very light beer (I'm calling it a Caribbean Lager) where it will be Full Pint + Flaked Corn + Hallertau + 2124 and I should get a very good feel for it then. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline MagicRat

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 09:53:23 am »
I haven’t used those specific malts but my LHBS carries an extensive variety of Briess malt.  It’s their main provider of American malts.  No complaints from me.  Always pleased with their product.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 12:17:03 pm »
I'm seeing that Briess Full Pint isn't on Briess' website any longer. Wonder if they stopped producing it? It's also been out of stock at Ritebrew for some time now.
Jesse