Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Alternate abv calculators  (Read 5644 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Alternate abv calculators
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 06:21:27 pm »
One of the greatest articles ever written on brewing calculations:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/2497/Math_in_Mash_SummerZym95.pdf

This article first acquainted me with many of the more thorough versions of common brewing calculations.

Thanks for the link, Big Monk.  Now I've got a refinement of the first term (approximation of RA) in my old equation (post #2.)  So now I'll go with ABW = [OE - (0.8114*AE + 0.1886*OE)] ÷ [2.0665 - 0.010665*OE].  Still an approximation but a better one.

(Edited for numerous bungles.)
Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
Reread article, finally got the idea of that "q."  Now  I think the really accurate equations have displaced my old approximation, and what I said above, in my memory.  Thanks again.

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 07:48:43 pm »

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/2497/Math_in_Mash_SummerZym95.pdf

This article first acquainted me with many of the more thorough versions of common brewing calculations.

Thanks for the link, Big Monk.  Now I've got a refinement of the first term (approximation of RA) in my old equation (post #2.)  So now I'll go with ABW = [OE - (0.8114*AE + 0.1886*OE)] ÷ [2.0665 - 0.010665*OE].  Still an approximation but a better one.

Reread article, finally got the idea of that "q."  Now  I think the really accurate equations have displaced my old approximation, and what I said above, in my memory.  Thanks again.

Had some down time today and made myself a new spreadsheet.   Incorporated the detailed equations from the Hall article, and the Novotný refractometer correction per his 2017 article.   Now I have a comprehensive and very accurate alcohol and attenuation tool on my phone, tailored to my needs and practices.   Proves two things:   Zymurgy can be a valuable resource,  and this forum is corrupting this old, curmudgeonly pencil, paper and wetware guy.    ;)

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 08:04:24 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Big Monk

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 08:51:46 pm »

Had some down time today and made myself a new spreadsheet.   Incorporated the detailed equations from the Hall article, and the Novotný refractometer correction per his 2017 article.   Now I have a comprehensive and very accurate alcohol and attenuation tool on my phone, tailored to my needs and practices.   Proves two things:   Zymurgy can be a valuable resource,  and this forum is corrupting this old, curmudgeonly pencil, paper and wetware guy.    ;)

I’ve been beating the drum on that article for years and all those calcs have lived in my spreadsheets for years.

I put this together as a companion for the article:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1Gbey6B4kxYcdONwDw-ZTP1LUq9bO0I8c/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=msexcel

Offline JoanMCD

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2021, 03:09:23 am »
It's a nice article posted out there. Haven't seen such a good analysis of abv calculation for a while. When I was traveling throughout Europe I had participated in various alcohol drinking contests (ABV higher than 40%). And they had very stupid rules, so oversized people couldn't even participate. You know, I'm not a skinny guy, so I had to convert kg to lbs proving that I can participate. It was insane, but I even won a couple of contests. Honestly, I've never drunk anything since that trip because I felt so bad these days.

By the way, If anyone knows other articles like that, pls share. It'd be interesting to compare the methodology of research and the conclusions in the end.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 11:23:56 am by JoanMCD »