Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fairly New Brewing Direction  (Read 2827 times)

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Fairly New Brewing Direction
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2021, 07:51:32 pm »
De Konnick is a very nice beer. Subtle yeast character, and lower ABV, somewhere in the 5% range. Definitely worth a try if you haven't had it.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2021, 08:48:41 pm »

Have you ever tried D uvel?  Very unlike most Belgian styles.  Lore has it that the yeast is a Scottish strain.
I know I did but it's been a long time.  I probably also tasted it when I had sampled other Belgians so my tastebuds may have been ravaged by that point.  Someone mentioned Leffe Blonde as a "gateway" Belgian beer.  My wife and I were at a Yardhouse Pub with 200 beers on tap so we ordered one.  Blech.  We ordered some others as well.  I would have no issue grabbing some Duvel next time I'm at the bottle shop.  If I like it... awesome!  If not, I'll throw the rest of them into the Klopek's yard.  :D
Palm is not the prototypical Belgian beer, but it might be up your alley.

If phenolics are your turnoff, then Rochefort might be an option for you. Their yeast is POF- as far as I'm aware.

yeah, i actually don't go nuts for rochefort because of its lower phenols than some others. i will happily drink it and enjoy it, but i almost don't consider it part of the strong belgians in my mind.

i think theres lots of room for lower ABV belgians btw, which i believe i'm going to try out this fall. i'm thinking some british grists but with belgian yeasts, also some higher IBU belgians.

~4.5% bitter with OYL028

Funny you say that. I just picked up a pack of WY1762 for my next brew - a light bitter inspired by Ron Pattinson's recent string of articles on AK. Rochefort's strain is allegedly of British origin, and the genetics support that. I thought it would be cool to test it in some British Ale styles.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2021, 09:44:37 pm »

Funny you say that. I just picked up a pack of WY1762 for my next brew - a light bitter inspired by Ron Pattinson's recent string of articles on AK. Rochefort's strain is allegedly of British origin, and the genetics support that. I thought it would be cool to test it in some British Ale styles.

i have it in my head that a fully dark roasted malt ie black malt, chocolate malt wouldn't be to my taste in a belgian.

but a beer i've always wanted to really make a 100% clone of was my memory of gouden carolus classic. maybe something like that but scaled back to 4.5 to 5.5% ABV, most candi sugar replaced with a dark crystal malt  to help the body at that lower gravity.

re: 1762, i remember denny saying that he uses it at cool temps for good results. i haven't used it or 540 yet though. there's also that aspect of belgian yeasts vs british. i bet you would get some more extreme stuff if you fermented british yeasts in the mid 70s.

lots of room to play.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2021, 08:33:38 am »

i have it in my head that a fully dark roasted malt ie black malt, chocolate malt wouldn't be to my taste in a belgian.

but a beer i've always wanted to really make a 100% clone of was my memory of gouden carolus classic. maybe something like that but scaled back to 4.5 to 5.5% ABV, most candi sugar replaced with a dark crystal malt  to help the body at that lower gravity.

re: 1762, i remember denny saying that he uses it at cool temps for good results. i haven't used it or 540 yet though. there's also that aspect of belgian yeasts vs british. i bet you would get some more extreme stuff if you fermented british yeasts in the mid 70s.

lots of room to play.

I have used 1762 a lot and am very familiar with its character.  I can't imagine it in a British style.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2021, 10:25:34 am »
I've got a Trappist single kinda like a westy blond planned for this weekend.

I've got something similar planned for the first weekend of June.  Care to share your recipe?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2021, 11:16:24 am »
I'm doing something loosely based on this:
https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2011/07/belgian-single-recipe-with-brett.html?m=1

I've done a few versions over the years. I'm using t-58 and about 30 IBUs of perle, just pils malt. It's basically just a North German pils with Belgian yeast. I've used crystal or mt hood in the past, any noble-ish hops work.

There's a recipe Michael referenced in another blog post from that Candi syrup company that is more like 40 ibus and 1/2 lb of sugar. Westy purportedly uses a mix of 50/50 pale and pils, fwiw.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2021, 12:04:20 pm »
I'm doing something loosely based on this:
https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2011/07/belgian-single-recipe-with-brett.html?m=1

I've done a few versions over the years. I'm using t-58 and about 30 IBUs of perle, just pils malt. It's basically just a North German pils with Belgian yeast. I've used crystal or mt hood in the past, any noble-ish hops work.

There's a recipe Michael referenced in another blog post from that Candi syrup company that is more like 40 ibus and 1/2 lb of sugar. Westy purportedly uses a mix of 50/50 pale and pils, fwiw.

Sounds good

I'm kegging a batch tomorrow that is a 50/50 blend of pale and pils with a lb. of cane sugar, EKG and SG (Bobek), and 3787.  OG 1.059, FG probably between 1.008 and 1.010 (I call it a Belgian Blonde, but it's probably not really to style). 

I'm going to harvest some of the 3787 slurry and pitch 100% pils malt and either all SG or maybe SG and Saaz.  I'm targeting an OG of 1.051 for that.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2021, 02:04:23 pm »
Saaz sounds good.

Also who cares about it being to style. Just vibe. It's not like any of the brewers in Belgium care about styles.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2021, 05:34:19 pm »
I'm sure it's a great book.  Is there a chapter on how to clean up the vomit that I would produce if I drank a Belgian beer?  :D  I'm sorry.  I had to.  My experience with Belgians has gone from unbelievably bad to just-slightly-better-than-unbelievably-bad.  I don't like 'em.  Can't get around it.

Bummer for you! Definitely your loss. But saying "I don't like Belgians" is kinda like saying "I don't like Indian Food". Guaranteed there is something you would enjoy.
Reminds me of a music podcast in which a music critic said that they feel a bit bad when they don't like an album/song/artist as much as others because they wish they could truly understand and appreciate why others like it as though they might be missing something...

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2021, 08:42:09 am »
I am with Northern Brewer in his assertion that a lot of yeast strains we associate with Belgian beer are actually British in origin. The Brits have been brewing beer commercially for a lot longer than the Belgians.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2021, 09:09:44 am »
I am with Northern Brewer in his assertion that a lot of yeast strains we associate with Belgian beer are actually British in origin. The Brits have been brewing beer commercially for a lot longer than the Belgians.

I have read/heard that many of them derived from wine yeasts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell