Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer yeast grows weed  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Beer yeast grows weed
« on: February 27, 2019, 12:50:12 pm »
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-0978-9

This has Lagunitas written all over it... ;D
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
Re: Beer yeast grows weed
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 01:10:34 pm »
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-0978-9

This has Lagunitas written all over it... ;D

lacto also, there is a product called gro kashi which is a lacto fermented bran and you top dress the soil and it grow a nice thick mycelium mat which has a symbiotic relationship with the roots being able to florish out where the roots cannot reach and pull nutrients to the rhizosphere and the roots exchange sugar for those nutrients , i am a gardener not cannabis but all plants benefit from fermentation, yeast, lacto and other microbes, compost tea is a perfect example, pretty interesting that you posted this
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 01:18:47 pm »
But this isn't fermentation aiding plant growth.  It's yeast actually producing THC and CBD.  Which now I think about it,  since last year or so we heard about yeast engineered to produce flavor compounds found in hops, this is just a logical progression on the botanical family tree.  The article  says that it's more practical to just grow plants.  But with some of the big beer companies already investing in cannabis, I wonder where it will go.   
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 01:32:55 pm »
But this isn't fermentation aiding plant growth.  It's yeast actually producing THC and CBD.  Which now I think about it,  since last year or so we heard about yeast engineered to produce flavor compounds found in hops, this is just a logical progression on the botanical family tree.  The article  says that it's more practical to just grow plants.  But with some of the big beer companies already investing in cannabis, I wonder where it will go.
that is not true, yeast do not produce THC or CBD or THCV or any cannibinoid, the microbes allow the genetics of the plant to express themselves at a higher level, boosting the immune systems and vigor and delivering nutrients at proper amounts causing the plant to be in essence "super charged", but yeast or other microbes will not produce any cannabinoids on there own, they will simply make a plant very healthy that the genetic potential of cannabinoid production will be fully expressed
Matty

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 01:36:45 pm »
on another note, some of flavor and aroma components are not terpenes they are actually esters
Matty

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 01:39:50 pm »
Read the article, these yeasts do produce cannabinoids within the cell.  As other yeasts habe been made to produce actual terpenes.  Anyway,  I just thought it was interesting.

(They're probably growing this stuff on corn syrup anyway.  ;)  )
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 01:42:14 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 01:50:11 pm »
definitely interesting, i just sent this question to one of the most known grower in humboldt county, i wanna hear what he says
Matty

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 03:25:33 pm »
Read the article, these yeasts do produce cannabinoids within the cell.  As other yeasts habe been made to produce actual terpenes.  Anyway,  I just thought it was interesting.

(They're probably growing this stuff on corn syrup anyway.  ;)  )

Hopefully it isn't yeast from a batch of beer made with Round-Up.  That could be counter productive.   ;D

Sorry, I couldn't let it go.  ::)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 04:25:41 pm »
Yeast can also make opioids. Makes you wonder what these nerds are really up to.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/26272907/

Offline aurobora

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 08:52:33 am »
That’s pretty interesting to be honest. I don’t know how many people actually practice this, but it’s definitely something to look into. I would do a little more research on the subject before actually starting it, but yeah sounds promising. I usually get my products from weed smart. They are a platform in Canada, which distributes cannabis products, from roll-ups to CBD, the variety is great. Also, I was surprised how quick they delivered my order. In 2 days, the parcel arrived at my door. Also, the quality impressed me, it’s not your average quality weed for sure. And the price point is accordingly very good. Definitely check it out.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 06:49:21 am by aurobora »