Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sinks and faucets.  (Read 870 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Sinks and faucets.
« on: March 10, 2021, 07:46:33 pm »
Getting ready to have a sink and faucet installed downstairs. Was wondering if anybody had some pics of their set up or some advice on what sink and faucet set ups they went with. No more lugging my stuff upstairs to the kitchen

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Sinks and faucets.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 07:57:00 pm »
Getting ready to have a sink and faucet installed downstairs. Was wondering if anybody had some pics of their set up or some advice on what sink and faucet set ups they went with. No more lugging my stuff upstairs to the kitchen

definitely plan it out. i decided officially today that i'm going to make a dedicated brew space over the next while. im done with lugging stuff and etc. no advice though, but good luck.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 07:58:47 pm »
Definitely, I'm lucky we have a mini mechanical room next to where I store my brewing supplys, so the main drain and hot and cold water feeds are about 5 feet away from eachother, I'm also an electrician and can wire whatever is needed in the space. Planning for a RO system to be mounted on the wall aswell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Sinks and faucets.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 09:50:58 pm »
A sink and faucet is vital to the brewery. That and access to 240v is why I went with the laundry room. My sink is the typical “slop sink” and faucet setup found in most laundry rooms.

You’ll want something deep and large enough to get your equipment in for cleaning. Think big restaurant or utility sink that can fit a boil kettle, hoses, buckets, and/or fermenter. Better yet a double sink. Side tables on each side aid in positioning kettle/fermenter drains valves and are just plain nice to have.

I replaced my original faucet with a utility faucet that I can thread a short leader garden hose onto. I use a spray attachment to hose down the boil kettle and fermenter.

I also run a hose from that faucet to my immersion chiller and another hose to return hot water from it to the sink for cleanup.

Think big:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 09:58:02 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 05:08:14 am »
A sink and faucet is vital to the brewery. That and access to 240v is why I went with the laundry room. My sink is the typical “slop sink” and faucet setup found in most laundry rooms.

You’ll want something deep and large enough to get your equipment in for cleaning. Think big restaurant or utility sink that can fit a boil kettle, hoses, buckets, and/or fermenter. Better yet a double sink. Side tables on each side aid in positioning kettle/fermenter drains valves and are just plain nice to have.

I replaced my original faucet with a utility faucet that I can thread a short leader garden hose onto. I use a spray attachment to hose down the boil kettle and fermenter.

I also run a hose from that faucet to my immersion chiller and another hose to return hot water from it to the sink for cleanup.

Think big:

(Removed picture)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have the single sink version of this.  It works great!

I am still using the dinky faucet it came with but I added a diverter valve so I can leave a hose connected but still run water into the sink like a normal faucet.  I'd have to use the bathtub to clean my kettle without this sink.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 05:26:59 am »
What do you plan to use the sink for?  Measure the equipment that you will be putting in the sink before you buy anything.

I agree with BrewBama as far as getting a BIG sink.  Not sure if you plan on a freestanding sink, or one that sits in a cabinet/countertop, but I would look for the biggest one that fits your space appropriately.  I am not a fan of 2 bowl sinks personally, because I always feel the divider takes what would be a super useful one bowl sink and cuts it into 2 smaller, far less workable areas.  However, I can appreciate a wash side and a rinse/dry side. If you do go with 2 bowls, make certain that each bowl is big enough to wash your largest piece of equipment with ease.  If you are going to be banging the sides and spilling water over the sink, then just go for 1 bowl.  I have seen laundry sinks as big as the one BB pictured, but only 1 bowl. (Mustee, Model 28). 

Attaching a hose to your faucet is super practical but be careful because a lot of new faucets come with tamper-proof aerators.  If you stick with a Laundry/Utility faucet like BB pictured, they come with a garden hose thread on the end of the spout.  Perfect.  But if you chose something with a higher spout or a traditional kitchen faucet, you may not be able to remove the aerator and add a hose attachment.  If adding a hose is important, check first.  Of course most new kitchen faucets come with a “pull out” or “pull down” spray hose, so maybe that might be more practical??

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 05:43:53 am »
I intend to get one of these when I install a big sink:
https://cdnimg.webstaurantstore.com/images/products/large/530824/1974993.jpg
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 05:48:52 am »
While not knowing your budget, look for a restaurant supply near you. I went with a 36x36 SS sink with faucet and sprayer. The sprayer comes in handy. I didn't go with a double sink but I wish I had a side/drain board on mine.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 06:41:25 am »
I intend to get one of these when I install a big sink:
https://cdnimg.webstaurantstore.com/images/products/large/530824/1974993.jpg

This is what I have installed (not that exact model) over my single basis stainless sink.  I was somewhat limited by space in the laundry room (connected to my brewing room) so I went with a single basis sink, but have a table next to it that I can lean kettles on and spray out.  That’s been a life saver as I use 20 gallon kettles and they are heavy. 

I really think for permanent stuff like this it’s important to go slow, think it through, and get as much advice as possible in terms of pros/cons.  It’s also a pay once, cry once situation.  I think you’ll be glad later on if you think it through and pay a little more where it gives you what you want. 

As far a brewery setups and build outs, I would recommend theelectricbrewery.com and Short Circuited Brewers on YouTube.  Both have a ton of practical advice and really thought through their layout.

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 10:36:42 am »
I have a reducer on the sink facuet to 1/2 inch cam lock...

https://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/3-4-by-1-2-inch-stainless-reducer/brewing-supplies

So long as your sink facuet is threaded, it should work. Makes it so much easier to clean carboys and conect to the immersion chiller!

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 10:03:12 am »
Thanks a ton y'all, I have two options one is a small space with a proper drain set up or my other option is a larger space but have to hook up a pump, I don't quite trust my basement floors fate in the hands of Chinese made pump seals. So I think I'm gonna go with a deep single basin sink with a hose bib attachment and a seperate port for a RO water system. I have two rubbermaid push carts that I use to brew with one is wheeled out with everything I need the other one is used to dry all my things after I wash them

Definitely looking at this from all angles