Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oatmeal  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Oatmeal
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2021, 11:17:56 am »
My most recent batch is a best bitter inspired ale with 20% flaked oats. I don't detect anything from the oats including visually.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 11:40:15 am by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2021, 11:27:21 am »
Like Iliff Ave said I think toasting the oats and getting them a bit golden brown can add some complexity to an oatmeal stout.
Jesse

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2021, 01:00:10 pm »
I brew an oatmeal brown ale with about 15-20% flaked oats in the grist. The last time I brewed it I didn't use the oats, and I didn't really notice a difference in flavor or mouthfeel - although it had been a couple of years since I last brewed it with oatmeal so take my recollection FWIW. The main reason I included it originally was for mouthfeel purposes, but after brewing the recipe several times over the years I don't really think it adds much body, if any.

I occasionally add some vanilla to this recipe, and I will probably try the toasted oat thing next time I do this, since I think the oatmeal cookie flavor would be pretty nice in there.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2021, 02:28:38 pm »
I brew an oatmeal brown ale with about 15-20% flaked oats in the grist. The last time I brewed it I didn't use the oats, and I didn't really notice a difference in flavor or mouthfeel - although it had been a couple of years since I last brewed it with oatmeal so take my recollection FWIW. The main reason I included it originally was for mouthfeel purposes, but after brewing the recipe several times over the years I don't really think it adds much body, if any.

I occasionally add some vanilla to this recipe, and I will probably try the toasted oat thing next time I do this, since I think the oatmeal cookie flavor would be pretty nice in there.

Cookie's 'n Beer. I like that.
Beer goes good with pancakes too. Ask me how I know!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2021, 02:48:07 pm »

How do you know?

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2021, 03:00:34 pm »

How do you know?
On weekends I regularly will have a Founder's Breakfast Stout with breakfast, now I'm going to have my own breakfast stout on nitro aptly named Saturday Morning breakfast stout. But I try not to do it every weekend day, only days when I don't plan on really doing anything or going anywhere.
Jesse

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2021, 03:02:42 pm »

How do you know?

Been there, done that. Yes, for breakfast.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2021, 03:48:46 pm »

How do you know?

Very informative. Thank you

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2021, 04:22:58 pm »

How do you know?

You are welcome, but this is where it ends...the pancake recipe, and the beer info, is proprietary.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2021, 05:08:50 pm »

How do you know?

You are welcome, but this is where it ends...the pancake recipe, and the beer info, is proprietary.

Good! I bet they both won first place.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2021, 05:24:12 pm »

How do you know?

Good! I bet they both won first place.

Of course, my wife made the pancakes, and supplied the beer. That rates as First Place in my house!