Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Golden Promise  (Read 3915 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Golden Promise
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2021, 10:23:38 am »
A friend of mine says too much Golden Promise isn't all that good. He inspired a super simple recipe that came out great! 90% Maris Otter and 10% Golden Promise with about 4oz of EKG and Wyeast 1469

I have a bag of Pearl, going to substitue that for Maris and submit it to NHBC

I disagree with your friend. It depends on the beer you are making. It won't give you the toasty aspect. It has a great malt flavor. It works for something like a TTL Best Bitter.
I have some Thomas Fawcett GP on the way to make a TTL. Probably 99% GP and 1% black malt.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2021, 10:55:24 am »
A friend of mine says too much Golden Promise isn't all that good. He inspired a super simple recipe that came out great! 90% Maris Otter and 10% Golden Promise with about 4oz of EKG and Wyeast 1469

I disagree with your friend. It depends on the beer you are making. It won't give you the toasty aspect. It has a great malt flavor. It works for something like a TTL Best Bitter.

and whose GP you use, also

Simpson's, it what the LHBS caries. This was a good listen.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5maXJlc2lkZS5mbS9iZWVyYW5kYnJld2luZy9yc3M/episode/MTJiZDk4OGYtNjE3Yi00ZDFhLTk1MWYtMGU1ZmY4M2VlMzM1?ep=14

I used only Simpsons for years, but one time couldn't get it and went with Fawcett.  I was disappointed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2021, 10:58:52 am »

Agreed. It's a matter of taste and the recipe it's being used for. Any base malt can be used for 100% of the grist, so if you think it's too much then either you're using it in the wrong recipe, or you simply don't like that malt.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2021, 12:14:02 pm »

Agreed. It's a matter of taste and the recipe it's being used for. Any base malt can be used for 100% of the grist, so if you think it's too much then either you're using it in the wrong recipe, or you simply don't like that malt.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Right. If the thought is that since it is British, it will be like Maris Otter, the results will be different, and one might be disappointed.

There are differences in Maltsters. Simpsons and Fawcett GP are different. The same can be said for the different MO Maltsters.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2021, 02:12:09 pm »
According to the website, Timothy Taylor Landlord uses Simpson's Golden Promise as its base malt.  What amount of sugar (and type) and which yeast strain?  Not sure on that.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2021, 02:23:42 pm »
According to the website, Timothy Taylor Landlord uses Simpson's Golden Promise as its base malt.  What amount of sugar (and type) and which yeast strain?  Not sure on that.
Recipes I have used don't use sugar and use WY1469. I have seen 100% GP.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2021, 02:46:48 pm »
Recipes I have used don't use sugar and use WY1469. I have seen 100% GP.
  I have too, but the website says sugar is in there....Invert #?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2021, 02:46:59 pm »
The only problem with Simpson’s GP I’ve run into is DP. It has enough to convert itself but not much more. If adding a bunch of adjuncts it can get you in the danger zone fairly quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2021, 03:11:15 pm »
The only problem with Simpson’s GP I’ve run into is DP. It has enough to convert itself but not much more. If adding a bunch of adjuncts it can get you in the danger zone fairly quickly.

Interesting to hear.  I haven't checked conversion in so long (I mash for 90 typically on my Brit Ales) that I don't know if it had trouble converting my recent recipes (touch of acid malt, GP base, and occasionally some flaked maize).  The Bitters turned out well to my liking when fresh, but recently entered one and a very solid judge detected a touch of tart that I was attributing to timing (long in the tooth) and handling issues after submission of a 3.4% ABV to the competition....maybe it was slightly not well converted, also. I'll be on the lookout for that on adjunct laden Brits going forward.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2021, 07:49:49 pm »

Same for Maris Otter. Those older British varieties are not bred for that. You can find MO and GP on this page and toggle between them.

Ron Pattinson's older recipes often have some North American malt, even 6 row to boost the DP.

https://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/our-malts/finest-pale-ale-maris-otter/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2021, 07:29:40 am »

Same for Maris Otter. Those older British varieties are not bred for that. You can find MO and GP on this page and toggle between them.

Ron Pattinson's older recipes often have some North American malt, even 6 row to boost the DP.

https://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/our-malts/finest-pale-ale-maris-otter/

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2021, 08:21:36 am »

OTOH, my wee heavy is 99.9% Simpson GP and is absolutley delicious.

I use Simpson's GP in my barleywine.  I like the flavor it imparts in the beer.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2021, 09:23:45 pm »
I am planning to use ECY10 Old Newark Ale yeast with my first batch of beer made from TF Golden Promise.  ECY10 is definitely Y-7408, which is the old Ballantine ale strain. Al Buck acquired it from the ARS NRRL Collection.  I will being a yeast culture that I have never used before to ferment wort made from a malt that I have never used before.  That should be interesting.  I planning to use Hop Heaven whole US Goldings for most, if not all of the additions.  I have some Styrian Goldings (a.k.a. as Fuggles) that I may use as well.  I have not decided on any crystal or caramel malt.  Although, if I use it, it will probably be TF Crystal II.

I just ordered a 6x12" hop spider made with 1526 micron stainless mesh for use with whole cones. I was going to purchase a false bottom, but I would have to purchase a custom false bottom for my 10-gallon SS Brewtech  TC Kettle and another custom false bottom for my Delta Brewing Systems 6.6-gallon kettle.  I chose a 6x12" hop spider because it will fit in both kettles without being too long in one kettle or too short in the other kettle.  Using 1526 stainless mesh provides a hole size of 0.060".   That should not gum up with break like 300 and 400 micron mesh are prone to doing.  I currently have a 300 micron mesh 6x14" spider that tends to gum up pretty badly before the end of the boil. I find 300 micro mesh to be close to unusable in my brewery.  It is just too fine.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2021, 04:46:57 pm »
Sadly, I have Fawcett Golden Promise.  I have used Fawcett Pearl and Fawcett Maris Otter.  Fawcett Maris Otter is not for me.  Hopefully, Fawcett Golden Promise is clean tasting like Fawcett Pearl.  I liked Baird Pale Ale Malt when I could get it, but it is not a single variety.   Do you have a line on the Moravian barley's that are grown for Coors out in Montana?

I have 50 lbs. of this barley that my farmer buddy gave me. Now if could just figure out how to malt it.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2021, 07:11:24 pm »
Just weighing in to say how much I like Golden Promise. It's the first malt I have used where I had that strong of an opinion. I too made Timothy Taylord's Landord with GP and loved it, but have used it in other brews with success, and nearly always close to 100%. It's got a deliciousness to it.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member