Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lallemand Diamond Lager versus Fermentis W-34/70  (Read 37612 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Lallemand Diamond Lager versus Fermentis W-34/70
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2021, 06:09:29 am »
What evidence is there that the dry yeast isn't pure?
Looks ‘mega’ pure to me.  Less than one wild yeast or bacteria colony forming unit in every {1 million} cells:

From Lallemand:
Wild Yeast  < 1 per 10^6 yeast cells
Bacteria  < 1 per 10^6 yeast cells

From Fermentis:
Purity : > 99.9 %
Lactic acid bacteria: < 1 cfu /6.0*10^6 yeast cell
Acetic acid bacteria: < 1 cfu /6.0*10^6 yeast cell
Pediococcus: < 1 cfu /6.0*10^6 yeast cell
Total Bacteria: < 1 cfu /10^6 yeast cell
“Wild” Yeast*: < 1 cfu /6*10^6 yeast cell
Pathogenic micro-organisms: in accordance with regulation

{edited}

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 05:56:30 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Lallemand Diamond Lager versus Fermentis W-34/70
« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2021, 08:01:01 am »
Looks ‘mega’ pure to me.  Less than one wild yeast or bacteria colony forming unit in every 10 million cells:

From Lallemand:

From Fermentis:

I will sleep much better now!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2021, 08:01:57 am »
Looks ‘mega’ pure to me.  Less than one wild yeast or bacteria colony forming unit in every 10 million cells:

From Lallemand:

From Fermentis:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly.  The idea that dry yeast isn't pure is a leftover from 20+ years ago.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2021, 03:18:23 pm »
So many good dry yeast strains these days. I have basically 3 liquid strains I really like, but use a lot more dry yeast now.
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2021, 04:07:52 pm »
So many good dry yeast strains these days. I have basically 3 liquid strains I really like, but use a lot more dry yeast now.

Same here.  BRY-97 has become a staple.  Drew just got some samples of the new Farmhouse from Lallemand that he's gonna be trying out.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2021, 04:57:23 pm »

Same here.  BRY-97 has become a staple.  Drew just got some samples of the new Farmhouse from Lallemand that he's gonna be trying out.
Any idea if the farmhouse has a liquid equivalent?  They already have Belle Saison, which is 3711 (or at least a dead ringer for it).  I'm curious to hear Drew's experience with it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2021, 05:06:07 pm »

Any idea if the farmhouse has a liquid equivalent?  They already have Belle Saison, which is 3711 (or at least a dead ringer for it).  I'm curious to hear Drew's experience with it.

Drew is playing with the Belle also.  He'll be able to doscermm of the Farmhouse bears any resemblance to a liquid strain.  I don't know if Belle is close to 3711.  It may have come from that direction, but I doubt it's the same.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2021, 05:29:55 pm »

Drew is playing with the Belle also.  He'll be able to doscermm of the Farmhouse bears any resemblance to a liquid strain.  I don't know if Belle is close to 3711.  It may have come from that direction, but I doubt it's the same.
Genetics wise, I don't know how 3711 and Belle line up, but the beers they make are pretty dang close in flavor, attenuation, and their tendency to need an extra week to slowly finish the last 3 or 4 gravity points. It's about the only dry yeast where the liquid equivalent is pretty apparent to me based solely on my experience with the two.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2021, 05:36:02 pm »

I have been waiting for someone to give the Lallemand strain a test drive. My LHBS hasn't ordered any yet and I would like to hear other people's opinions.

So far as a liquid non-STA1 strain----

WLP561: NonSTA1son Ale from White Labs is a seasonal release. Again, my LHBS has no plans to order this either.
                                             https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-single?id=166&type=YEAST&style_type=5
Ralph R.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2021, 06:04:40 pm »

Genetics wise, I don't know how 3711 and Belle line up, but the beers they make are pretty dang close in flavor, attenuation, and their tendency to need an extra week to slowly finish the last 3 or 4 gravity points. It's about the only dry yeast where the liquid equivalent is pretty apparent to me based solely on my experience with the two.

Belle is a genetic sister to WLP545.  My bet is that both are sisters to 3711 but unfortunately there is not any genetic data available yet for 3711, only the other two.

My initial guess on Farmhouse is that it might potentially be similar to T-58.  But this is only a wild guess, I really don't know.

More educated guesses...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16XRUloO3WXqH9Ixsf5vx2DIKDmrEQJ36tLRBmmya7Jo/edit?usp=sharing
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #175 on: October 12, 2021, 06:56:08 pm »

Same here. It's amazing how it seems to have come full circle. I remember the days when liquid cultures for homebrewers were a new thing, and here we are 25 years later singing the praises of dry yeast.

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #176 on: October 12, 2021, 09:10:28 pm »
Yeah, and not having to make a starter is a bonus. I just had a liquid yeast pouch just not fire up. A month out of date, but it just did nothing. I used S189 and now the last few lagers I’ve used it with great results. I now have M54, and Diamond lager to try. I don’t know why, but 34/70, I just don’t like it.

If the farmhouse is along the lines of wy 3726 I’ll definitely try it !
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2021, 10:24:54 pm »
My buds and I have been to a place called Resi's Bierstube a few times and there are so many great German offerings that you don't know what to order first.

Oh man.. how I love Resi's!
Incredibly fresh German selections. They really know how to care for the beer and serve it properly.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #178 on: October 13, 2021, 01:22:57 pm »
Yeah, and not having to make a starter is a bonus. I just had a liquid yeast pouch just not fire up. A month out of date, but it just did nothing. I used S189 and now the last few lagers I’ve used it with great results. I now have M54, and Diamond lager to try. I don’t know why, but 34/70, I just don’t like it.

I need to try the S-189. Agree with you, no longer like the W-34/70. Brewed many good beers with it, just do not like it anymore. Diamond has replaced it.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #179 on: October 13, 2021, 02:20:15 pm »

I need to try the S-189. Agree with you, no longer like the W-34/70. Brewed many good beers with it, just do not like it anymore. Diamond has replaced it.

did 34/70 change? wouldnt it make sense to try to assess what aspect of it you dont like "anymore"?