Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lallemand Diamond Lager versus Fermentis W-34/70  (Read 37640 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Lallemand Diamond Lager versus Fermentis W-34/70
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2021, 02:14:13 pm »
There is another Bierstube in Iowa in LeClaire - it sits high above the Mighty Mississip - great view and great German offerings on draft and in bottles and cans.  I try to go there every time I visit my son in Bettendorf...it is kind of a tradition now (and some great German food is offered there!)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2021, 02:23:51 pm »
There is another Bierstube in Iowa in LeClaire - it sits high above the Mighty Mississip - great view and great German offerings on draft and in bottles and cans.  I try to go there every time I visit my son in Bettendorf...it is kind of a tradition now (and some great German food is offered there!)
There's one in "historic downtown Moline" as well.  That sounds like a road trip that I need to take. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2021, 02:37:12 pm »
The problem with lager at the brewpub level is that it takes longer to produce than ale; therefore, resources are tied up longer.  I do not know how Gordon Beirsch does it.  A lot of their brewpub beers are meh, but the Golden Export is very good.  The Blonde Bock is not bad either.  That may be do to the local water supply, which is very soft.  I do not know about their bottled products.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2021, 02:42:42 pm »
The problem with lager at the brewpub level is that it takes longer to produce than ale; therefore, resources are tied up longer.  I do not know how Gordon Beirsch does it.  A lot of their brewpub beers are meh, but the Golden Export is very good.  The Blonde Bock is not bad either.  That may be do to the local water supply, which is very soft.  I do not know about their bottled products.
I like their Marzen too.  I was visiting DC and there was a GB brewpub in the lobby of our hotel. 

I feel like many American breweries are just going to try to apply US brewing traits to German styles.  One commercial brewer I know makes a cloudy, 8%, dry-hopped pilsner.  I'm sure some people like it but that's not what I'm looking for.  I have had some good Marzens, Viennas, Festbiers, Helles, etc. but many, many American efforts whiff mightily, sorry to say.  The timeframe it takes to be ready is just one more hurdle for them.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2021, 02:44:11 pm »
Their beers vary quite a bit from one brewpub location to another.  I've had really good lagers and not so good ones.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2021, 02:50:28 pm »
Their beers vary quite a bit from one brewpub location to another.  I've had really good lagers and not so good ones.

Indeed. Heater Allen in the small town of McMinnville OR does some of the best lagers I've ever had, including continental lagers.  Nothing but lagers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2021, 03:10:08 pm »

As it's subjective, the matter is wide open for debate!

Yes, my favorite beers are from the Czech Republic, with a close 2nd Place going to German beers.

We visited Brussels recently, and went to a brewery. The best examples of Belgian beers are found there, in Belgium!
[/quote]

+1 on Czech beers.

A few years ago, I spent some time in the Munich area. I was thinking that would be my personal beer utopia. On leaving, I drove straight to Prague one morning, and had a huge awakening. Lunch in Prague was my introduction to Czech beers. For me, better than Munich, and by a wide margin. Of course the trip had to be extended a few days.
Roger

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2021, 03:38:35 pm »

Yes, my favorite beers are from the Czech Republic, with a close 2nd Place going to German beers.

We visited Brussels recently, and went to a brewery. The best examples of Belgian beers are found there, in Belgium!

+1 on Czech beers.

A few years ago, I spent some time in the Munich area. I was thinking that would be my personal beer utopia. On leaving, I drove straight to Prague one morning, and had a huge awakening. Lunch in Prague was my introduction to Czech beers. For me, better than Munich, and by a wide margin. Of course the trip had to be extended a few days.
[/quote]
The beers in the Czech Republic were indeed fantastic.  We had dinner at a place that served a pilsner called BERNARD in a swing-top bottle.  We also went to a little brewery called Pivovar U Tri Ruzi that had really fantastic beer and also burgers!  The dark at U Fleku was excellent as well and I drank the shot (Beverocha?) and also my wife's shot!  :D  Every little place we hit there (or in the Slovak Republic) served really fresh and delicious beer. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2021, 03:52:28 pm »

+1 on Czech beers.

The beers in the Czech Republic were indeed fantastic.  We had dinner at a place that served a pilsner called BERNARD in a swing-top bottle.  We also went to a little brewery called Pivovar U Tri Ruzi that had really fantastic beer and also burgers!  The dark at U Fleku was excellent as well and I drank the shot (Beverocha?) and also my wife's shot!  :D  Every little place we hit there (or in the Slovak Republic) served really fresh and delicious beer.
[/quote]

I agree! The Czechs give the Germans a run for their money when it comes to beer brewing. Our vacation tour of the Czech Republic was beer heaven. Went through the Pilsner Urquell Brewery, another treat for any beer lover!

In addition, the food was out-of-this-world good! And cheap! Had dinner at U-Fleku, drank my share of their beer. I want to go back!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2021, 03:56:00 pm »
So is the secret that Czechs are using Diamond or 34/70  ::)
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2021, 05:13:30 pm »

...supposedly S-23 is a close relation to the Pilsner  Urquell H-Strain

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2021, 05:44:25 pm »

...supposedly S-23 is a close relation to the Pilsner  Urquell H-Strain

S-23? Never tried it, but it's at the top of my list now.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2021, 06:13:48 pm »
Try it with a small test batch. I’ve heard mixed reviews. YMMV

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2021, 06:35:36 pm »
I’ve heard mixed reviews as well but really need to try it. I currently blend 189 and 34/70
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2021, 08:39:58 am »
There's one in "historic downtown Moline" as well.  That sounds like a road trip that I need to take. 
ynotbrusum and Ken,

The food there is very good, I love the reuben rolls. First place I ever had those, now I'm seeing them on menus at more places. I do like the LeClaire location being right on the river and all; very cool spot. Definitely worth the trip, Ken!

And I know Denny loves the S-23 yeast ;)
Jesse