Author Topic: Lallemand Diamond Lager versus Fermentis W-34/70  (Read 7721 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Lallemand Diamond Lager versus Fermentis W-34/70
« Reply #180 on: October 13, 2021, 08:22:32 pm »
Yeah, and not having to make a starter is a bonus. I just had a liquid yeast pouch just not fire up. A month out of date, but it just did nothing. I used S189 and now the last few lagers I’ve used it with great results. I now have M54, and Diamond lager to try. I don’t know why, but 34/70, I just don’t like it.

If the farmhouse is along the lines of wy 3726 I’ll definitely try it !

I need to try the S-189. Agree with you, no longer like the W-34/70. Brewed many good beers with it, just do not like it anymore. Diamond has replaced it.

did 34/70 change? wouldnt it make sense to try to assess what aspect of it you dont like "anymore"?

I doubt it.  It's more likely that people's tastes change.  That's what happened with me and 05.  Or people discover something they like better.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2021, 08:36:40 pm »
I know for me, the power of suggestion got to me.  I had a couple different people on separate occasions mention that they detected some lemon-like flavor in a couple different lagers I made with 34/70.  I suspect that they were super-tasters or had some sensitivity that most of us don't have.  Even so, I went away from 34/70 for a while and liked S-189 better over time.  Now, Diamond seems to have captured my interest for dry lager yeast.  I will still use 34/70 from time to time, but in the back of my mind, I keep waiting for a taster to mention lemon notes....

As to US-05, I got the peach thing before I read about others tasting that in beers fermented with US-05.  Once I got it, I couldn't shake it, and found it almost every time in US-05 fermented ales.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline TXFlyGuy

• Brewmaster
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2021, 08:57:00 pm »
Yeah, and not having to make a starter is a bonus. I just had a liquid yeast pouch just not fire up. A month out of date, but it just did nothing. I used S189 and now the last few lagers I’ve used it with great results. I now have M54, and Diamond lager to try. I don’t know why, but 34/70, I just don’t like it.

If the farmhouse is along the lines of wy 3726 I’ll definitely try it !

I need to try the S-189. Agree with you, no longer like the W-34/70. Brewed many good beers with it, just do not like it anymore. Diamond has replaced it.

did 34/70 change? wouldnt it make sense to try to assess what aspect of it you dont like "anymore"?

I must have changed. After trying Diamond, the 34/70 is no longer appealing to us, flavor wise. My brewing friend feels the same regarding this, so it’s not only me.
Bluebonnet Brewoff 2021 Winner:
Munich Helles - 1st Place
Oktoberfest   - 1st Place
English Porter - 3rd Place

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #183 on: October 14, 2021, 01:57:48 am »
 I never liked 34/70. US05 I used to, but now it’s peach city
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia