Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Moldy extract  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Bruce

• 1st Kit
Moldy extract
« on: March 16, 2021, 01:22:50 pm »
Ok, anyone ever had mold on top of your malt extract and used it?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Moldy extract
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 02:07:10 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  Fresh ingredients are best used at all times; I don't use old stuff that hasn't kept well.  My time is too valuable to try to salvage ingredients that are past their prime.  Since your extract will go into the boil, it should kill the mold - but what about the flavor profile?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 02:41:15 pm »
Mold always makes me nervous, even if there's only a small amount. The reason is because many molds commonly found in kitchens and on food products produce heat-stable toxins. Boiling will kill the mold but any toxins will remain. And given the body form of fungi (excluding the unicellular yeasts), what you see is usually just a tiny fraction of what's actually there.

If it were me, I wouldn't feel comfortable using that extract, even if the risk was relatively low. If you do use it, have your least-favorite relative try the beer first.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 04:20:03 pm »
Not sure if it grows on extract but Fusarium is a mold that grows on barley and it causes gushers. I wouldn't even make starters out of it. Dump it.

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 05:45:58 am »
Many years ago I worked at a home brew store that sold bulk liquid malt extract that we poured out of 55gallon drums. As air would displace the malt extract in the drum moisture would form inside the drum and dilute the surface of the malt extract. Mold would grow on it. We eventually rigged up nitrogen flushing on the drums.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 06:36:38 am »
I echo the comments above. I prefer to use fresh ingredients.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk