Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 3-gallon Brew House  (Read 3844 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: 3-gallon Brew House
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2021, 12:24:25 pm »
I moved to 2.5 gallon kegs a few years ago. I did so primarily because 5 gallon batches took too long to drink. I was getting tired of drinking the same beers and wanted more variety.  I am the only beer drinker in my household.

I still have one 5 gallon keg. I occasionally brew a larger batch of a really good beer for that keg.

Different strokes for different folks.

I too am only beer drinker in my household, but only like the dark beers enough to brew them and am happy brewing in 5-gal batches because of the time involved in brewing.  A batch typically lasts me for three or four months. When I want more variety, I have a microbrewery with tap room, 3 miles away that has 30 taps and is generous with samples.
Man, it'd drive me crazy if a batch lasted that long on tap. That's holding up production in my world. Especially if all 4 taps had the same beer on tap for 4 months. I'd go crazy. 4-6 weeks is plenty long for me, that's typically how long a 5 gallon keg last me and I'm also the only drinker in the house (only one living here) but do have friends over occasionally and take growlers places instead of buying beer.
Yeah. A big part of brewing for me is crafting a recipe and then brewing and experiencing it. I write lots of recipes to pass time. Maybe 25% get brewed because I can only drink so much. I am always eager to brew the next batch.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2021, 09:07:14 am »
I moved to 2.5 gallon kegs a few years ago. I did so primarily because 5 gallon batches took too long to drink. I was getting tired of drinking the same beers and wanted more variety.  I am the only beer drinker in my household.

I still have one 5 gallon keg. I occasionally brew a larger batch of a really good beer for that keg.

Different strokes for different folks.

I too am only beer drinker in my household, but only like the dark beers enough to brew them and am happy brewing in 5-gal batches because of the time involved in brewing.  A batch typically lasts me for three or four months. When I want more variety, I have a microbrewery with tap room, 3 miles away that has 30 taps and is generous with samples.
Man, it'd drive me crazy if a batch lasted that long on tap. That's holding up production in my world. Especially if all 4 taps had the same beer on tap for 4 months. I'd go crazy. 4-6 weeks is plenty long for me, that's typically how long a 5 gallon keg last me and I'm also the only drinker in the house (only one living here) but do have friends over occasionally and take growlers places instead of buying beer.

I'm in my mid 70s and have weight and medication issues that prohibit me from drinking lots. The one friend who I most often shared brews with died about two years ago.  Pre-covid, I took sample bottles to brew club meetings, and had finally got into kegging with the idea of donating an occasional keg to public-service events our brew club participated in.  However, covid arrived before our first event happened and so that idea got put on hold.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2021, 12:26:24 pm »
I hear ya. All the more reason to brew smaller batches for you guys. Certainly simplifies life.
Jesse